Fun things to do in Murrells Inlet

• Ruins
    Ruins "that we had come to see" with my...
    Entrance to Oaks Plantation
  • Mother wrote
    Mother wrote "Caretaker's house at...

Most Viewed Things to Do in Murrells Inlet

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Oaks Plantation in 1959

by grandmaR Updated Apr 4, 2011

In 1959, my parents went to Brookgreen Gardens and apparently went to Oaks Plantation which is accessible now only on the Brookgreen vehicles. My mother wrote about the first photo: "Entrance to historic home - sort of park-like place - we arrived at dusk shortly before closing time". They saw the caretaker's house near the entrance (photo), some ruins (photo 3) and went to more than one of the plantations (photo 4). Evidently it was spring as the azaleas were in bloom. (photo 5).

To see this area now, you would have to purchase an excursions ticket to go overland in the Trekker. The cost is $7 for adults and $4 for children and is in addition to garden admission. We did this but I have no photos of it. In lieu of that you could take a self-guided tour of four archaeological sites with interpretive panels that describe the life on a rice plantation in the 18th and 19th centuries. The Audio Tour winds along the Ricefield Overlook and adjacent rice field and is free with garden admission.

• Eco-Tourism

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

Atalaya

by KimberlyAnn Updated Jul 12, 2006

Atalaya is located in Huntington Beach State Park. This park was named for the noted American sculptress Anna Hyatt Huntington and her philanthropist husband, Archer Milton Huntington. The Huntingtons purchased the land in the area in 1930. They built their home, which they named Atalaya, and made this their winter home. This home has 55 rooms, many with fireplaces, and most are very small. This home is built around a beautiful courtyard filled with palm trees. The halls are narrow and fort like, but for some reason I really loved this place, it spoke to me in some way as no other home I have visited has. It was so unusual, and the courtyard, which is divided in half by a corridor is gorgeous. Be sure to pick out a handout on the house at the visitors center. This handout will tell you what all the little rooms were used for, and will help you to understand the house better. I don’t know why I loved this house so much, the only change I would make if it were mine would be to remove some of the walls to create larger rooms. For more views of Atalaya visit my Visiting Atalaya Travelogue.

• Architecture
    • National/State Park

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo

Huntington Beach State Park

by KimberlyAnn Updated Jun 9, 2004

Huntington Beach State Park is a beautiful South Carolina Coastal Park that has varied habits. Here you will find three miles of pristine beach along the Atlantic Ocean that is untouched and undeveloped. The main features of this beach are its beautiful white sand, dunes, and sea oats. In January there where many times that we were the only people on the beach. Walking along this beach we spied beautiful orange sponges washed up on its white sand shore, and observed a variety of birds including gulls, terns, loons, pelicans, cormorants, mergansers, and sandpipers. If you should tire of the ocean, there are also 2,500 acres of maritime forest, salt marshes, and a freshwater lagoon to explore. The lagoon is another great area to watch birds. When we hiked to the lagoon we observed a number of birds including the greater scaup, bufflehead, clapper rail, and hooded mergansers. We were told alligators also lived in the lagoon, but they are usually not visible in January.

• Beaches

Latest: Apr 28, 2010
Holiday Inn Express Hotel And Suites-Murrells Inlet
Latest: Mar 29, 2014

Instant Answers: Murrells Inlet

Comments

Murrells Inlet Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Murrells Inlet locals.
Map of Murrells Inlet