Myrtle Beach Favorites

View from our balcony

Best Rated Favorites in Myrtle Beach

giddy on the Interstate

by richiecdisc Written Jul 4, 2007

ducky once the work was done

Fondest memory: The days leading up to the trip were hectic. Working in real estate doesn’t lend itself to planning. Whatever you try to plan, your business has a mind of its own so it was not too hard to believe when we found deals forming as we readied ourselves to leave. Luckily with cell phones and laptops, one can stay connected. It might be less than ideal with regard to true freedom but you can at least get on the road when it might otherwise be impossible to. So, our first day didn’t go as we had loosely planned. There would be no 4:00 AM walk up call to ensure a Savannah lunch time stroll as we’d been up the night before negotiating an offer on a house our client had fallen in love with. I secretly worried that the need to work further on it via cell phone while driving the first day would all but ruin our trip but as soon as we got north of West Palm Beach we saw nothing but trees on either side of us. Living in the concrete jungle of South Florida, one forgets just how important all that green is to your soul so despite the need to sporadically work on this long drive, we felt giddy as we sped along the Interstate.

We made it to Savannah albeit four hours later than planned so our lunch turned into a beer at the local brewpub. I put the final touches on the deal I’d been working on all day and saved my client $5000 for my trouble. It was a done deal and though it would have been easy to stay and celebrate, we had friends waiting in Myrtle Beach and a six hour drive ahead of us. We raced back to the car and just managed to avoid getting soaked by a sudden thunder storm. A colleague called as I pulled out to tell us one of our properties had received an offer and offered to handle the negotiations. I happily agreed with zero visibility and a long drive ahead of me. (concluded below in Fondest Memory)

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

there's something about a road trip

by richiecdisc Updated Jul 4, 2007

negotiating a deal while on vacation

Favorite thing: The beach is just fantastic with white fine sand and warm waves to ride but what I loved most was the forest right next to the beach. There's something about being able to walk from one terrain to another in five short minutes.

Fondest memory: There’s something about a road trip that separates it from any other type of travel. The great ones are of no particular duration and though there may be a destination at hand, the way there is best left to the wind. You hop in the car and it brings you where you want to go. I’ve been lucky to experience this a few times when my old Honda Civic transported me to Alaska and all over the Western US on two multi-month trips. But even short trips can be fun and if the attitude is right, you can somehow capture at least a bit of what a road trip is at its core: freedom.

After many months of what seemed unending work, we made a plan for such a short jaunt. It started out innocently enough when a good friend from Philly called to say his wife was being put up in Myrtle Beach by her company and that as chance would have it, there was an extra bedroom just waiting for us. We figured we’d head up there for three nights and just chill out but later in the day I was speaking with another friend who mentioned they would be in their newly purchased vacation home in Georgia around the same time and a road trip began to form inside my brain, almost without me knowing it. We added a couple extra days and cut the Myrtle Beach portion in half. The next thing I knew we had a five day, four state odyssey on the horizon. (continued below in Fondest Memory)

• Hlthors's Profile Photo

Brilliant pink and blue sunrises or sparkling sand

by Hlthors Written Dec 17, 2004

Favorite thing: One of my favorite memories of Myrtle Beach was my early morning and evening walks on the beach. I started walking around 45 minutes before sunrise and the neon hotel lights on the sand make the seashells glow in the dark. It was SO peaceful. As I watched the sun come up I felt tremendously blessed to be alive, healthy, and there at that exact moment in time. The sky was a magnificent pink, blue, and white. The sand was perfect, no debris or trash, just perfect sand. All the people you meet are friendly and it couldn't be more clean. When that warm salty breeze hits your face and you feel the warm sand under your toes as the ocean trickles over your feet-it's a truely spiritual experience.

Fondest memory: I miss the air, the sound of the ocean, and the friendly people. I miss the warm sun on my face and how at peace I felt sitting on the beach. I remember how I cried tears of joy as I rocked my toddler to sleep watching the sun go down.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

going where the car bring you

by richiecdisc Written Jul 4, 2007

catching up with old friends

Fondest memory: We arrived in Myrtle Beach around 11:00 PM, much later than originally planned but our friends were glad to see us. We had fun talking till far too late and continued on the next day, enjoying each other’s company, some find food and local beers. It was too short and over too quickly but sometimes one great day is better than two good ones. They were heading home and we had a road trip to continue. We’d wind up covering 2100 miles in those five days. It sounds like a lot and it was, but when you’re on a road trip, you only have so much control. After all, you are just going where the car takes you and that’s exactly what we did.

• Beer Tasting

• The PAVILLION...of course...

by litlwon Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: The PAVILLION...of course everyone will tell you the same but since i basically grew up here, every summer, it's not complete till i visti the amusement park right on the beach.

Fondest memory: outlet shopping, and the neat little fish and chip restaurants like one eyed jack's...if it's still there.

• Take advantage of the huge...

by chasman Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Take advantage of the huge amount of entertainment. For Rock fans, there is The House Of Blues and The Music Warehouse and many other cool clubs. Country fans will be at home at The Alabama Theater. Family fun can be found at Mideveal Times, Dixie Stampede, The Myrtle Beach Pavillion and tons of others. For those who enjoy clubbing - there are seemingly thousands to choose from (too many to list, really). Looking for food? Every possible sort of menu can be found in Myrtle Beach. While you're there enjoy the great radio stations too: WKZQ and WAVE 104 are excellent Rock stations. Surf 96 (?) provides great 'beach music'.

Fondest memory: Southern hospitality abounds here. Some of the nicest people in the world live here.

• You must visit 'Broadway at...

by SandyToes Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: You must visit 'Broadway at the Beach'.
    Broadway has restaurants, shopping, nightclubs, mini-golf,an IMAX theater,and an aquarium, all on miles of boardwalk atop a manmade lake. There are also boatrides on the lake. Something for everyone!

Fondest memory: Everything! The beautiful beaches, the tranquility at sunrise or sunset. Long walks on the beach,the smell of the air.

• iam1wthee's Profile Photo

welcome information visitors center

by iam1wthee Written Oct 27, 2011

Favorite thing: come here first because they will normally sell you show tickets at a more reasonable price

they may also offer a timeshare but just say no you do not want to go to any seminar
    they will still sell you the tickets

• iam1wthee's Profile Photo

best location

by iam1wthee Written Oct 27, 2011

Favorite thing: the main excitement on the boardwalk is at 11th and 9th avenues, the convention center and broadway on the beach are on 21st avenue a few blocks apart
    so it helps to choose a place to stay that is not too far from these areas or offers a shuttle to tthese areas

as an alternative it would be to stay near the outlets which are in the midst of the carolina opry dolly parton and barefoot landing.

Instant Answers: Myrtle Beach

Comments

Myrtle Beach Favorites

Reviews and photos of Myrtle Beach favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Myrtle Beach sightseeing.