the old presbyterian church cemetery is the final resting place of many of orangeburg's early citizens. the old presbyterian cemetery was established in 1835. general david flavel jamison a founder of the citadel and the president of the south carolina secession convention is buried here.
pictured is monument for delano middleton one of three black students shot and killed during the orangeburg massacre. on february 8 th 1968 students from chafin and s. c. state built a bonfire on the s. c. state campus to protest the segregation policy of nearby all star bowling lanes. police were ordered to quell the demostration and shot and killed middleton, samuel hammond, and henry smith. thirty one students and protesters were also injured by police fire. for those interested in u. s. civil rights history orangeburg is a very interesting town to visit.
pictured is the sign of the now closed all star bowling lane. the all star bowling lane had a fundamental role in the 1968 orangeburg massacre. the all star bowling lane was owned by harry k. floyd and he did not allow blacks to use his facility. on february 8 th 1968 a crowd of chafin and s. c. state students built a bonfire on the s. c. state campus to protest all star bowling lane's segregation policy. during the protest 3 black students were killed and 31 injured by the police. the all star bowling lanes closed in 2007 but is still listed on the national register of historic places.
the old orangeburg county jail also known as the "pink palace" was built in 1860. in 1865 union general william t. sherman used this building for his headquarters during the occupation of orangeburg. when sherman left orangeburg he set the building on fire. the partially ruined jail was rebuilt in 1867 and later remodeled in 1921. the "pink palace" was orangeburg's county jail until 1980.
the first st. paul's united methodist church was built in 1836. a second church was built in 1860. the present chuch was built in 1898. this beautiful church is one of several historic churches in downtown orangeburg.
the old post office was built in 1912 and was orangeburg's main post office until the 1960's. later the building was used as a bank and today it is a law office. the old post office is one of a number of historic buildings in downtown orangeburg.
memorial plaza was once known as public square. pictured are two revoluntionary war cannons used in the battle of orangeburg in may 1781. public square was renamed courthouse square in 1826 when a courthouse was built on the square. in 1929 a new courthouse was built on gibson street and the square was renamed memorial plaza. memorial plaza is located in the center of downtown orangeburg.
edisto memorial gardens is the top tourist attraction in orangeburg. the site of edisto gardens was originally a garbage dump and azaleas were planted on the site in 1937. in the 1940's roses were added to the site. the rose garden has on display over 100 varieties of roses. each year orangeburg hosts a rose festival.
russell street runs through the heart of downtown orangeburg. russell street is lined with shops and restaurants. many of the attractions of downtown are a short walk from russell street.
this beautiful italian style house was built in 1921 and was designed by famous south carolina architect charles wilson. the mosley house is one of a number of historic homes in downtown orangeburg.
this 33 foot tall monument was built in 1893. this memorial has a standing solder motif which is common in the south.