Spartanburg Travel Guide

• Writer--George Singleton. I've got all his books!
    Writer--George Singleton. I've got all...
    by sherrillbland
    Legendary BMW 507
    by MatthewMetcalfe
    Hello
    by sherrillbland

Spartanburg Things to Do

• sherrillbland's Profile Photo

by sherrillbland Written Oct 6, 2009

Hub-Bub is a relatively new arts venue featuring music, visual art, and readings. It's the hip place to be seen! My hubby and I have attended art shows and readings there...we still have to do the music thing, but we're working on it. Just purchased a beautiful painting by local artist, JJ Ohlinger when we were there for an artist talk. And I met and became friends with George Singleton, writer, through Hub-Bub and a mutual friend.

Find out what all the hub-bub's about. Just purchased this painting at Hub-Bub Writer--George Singleton. I've got all his books!
    • Photography
    • Music

• MatthewMetcalfe's Profile Photo

by MatthewMetcalfe Written Aug 9, 2004

The BMW Zentrum is a museum for BMW vehicles that sits adjacent to the Spartanburg Assembly Plant.

Spartanburg is where they make the X Series Trucks as well as the Z4. The museum offers a great history of BMW and has a small cafeteria as well. The Factory Tour is awesome!

While you can walk up to the museum anytime, you must call ahead and make reservations to tour the facility. Mention that you are a Member of the BMW Car Club and receive an additional discount.

Legendary BMW 507

• Spartanburg Hotels

35 Hotels in Spartanburg

Spartanburg Hotels

Spartanburg Restaurants

• sherrillbland's Profile Photo

by sherrillbland Written Oct 6, 2009

If you remember the gracious plenty of yummy dishes on Grandmom's Sunday after-church table, but don't get to Grandmom's much anymore, try Wades. It's the closest thing to Grandmom's table! We call it a Meat-and-three here in South Carolina. You select your main entree (meat dish) and then three veggie complements. Comes with yummy yeast rolls, cornbread and sweet tea. Desserts sold separately, are homemade and DELICIOUS! It says so, right on the menu!

Favorite Dish: Thursday is TURKEY day at Wades. Probably my favorite dish....turkey and dressing, cranberry sauce, and whatever veggies sound good to me at that particular time.

Home of the best yeast rolls anywhere Have you had your veggies today? My meal last night. YUM-O!
    • Seniors

by etfromnc Written Oct 9, 2008

If you have read many of my Charlotte restaurant tips, you may have gathered that I really enjoy good Thai food but that I also tend to be more discriminating when it comes to Thai restaurants. I cannot explain why that is so but VT has helped me realize that it is. When I was looking through the Spartanburg telephone book to find places to eat while attending a recent conference, I immediately discounted this restaurant but two days later as I was heading home, it came back to mind and I found myself "hungry for Thai food." Since BTC was "sort of" on my way home, I stopped in and had an outstanding dining experience. My custom is that during my first visit to a Thai restaurant, I will usually try a fried rice because they are really tough to mess up but can indicate the overall quality and creativity of the restaurant. The food was excellent and, overall, the service was also superior with several staff members stopping by periodically to check on me.

Favorite Dish: Basil Fried Rice was excellent. Their combination of stir-fried jasmine rice with egg, peas, carrots, corn, fresh garlic, fresh basil, bell pepper, and onion was delicious. I do not recall having fried rice with bell pepper in it before, and do not generally like bell peppers, but they seemed to be a good addition to this dish.

by etfromnc Updated Sep 16, 2006

If you had never heard of this place or had anyone recommend it to you, you would probably never stop here. The exterior is definitely not impressive. It looks like a typical highway bar, or roadhouse as my mother and Patrick Swayze would call it. The inside doesn't look a whole lot better but the staff is very friendly, helpful, and efficient. The only reason that I went there was that my key envelope from the nearby Comfort Inn where I stayed the last few nights offered a 10% discount but I am very glad that I did go. I think that both places are owned by the same family but that is okay, too.

Coby's also claims to be the home of the fried dill pickle.
    I am a Southerner born, bred, and proud of it and have lived in the southern United States most of my life but I just could not part with the $5.95 to try fried dill pickles. I did try fried green tomatoes for the first time this week, however, and am sorry that I waited this long to do that. They are delicious.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the flounder filet with fries and cole slaw and sweet iced tea, a very typical Southern meal. Most of the people around me were eating steaks and when I asked my waitress what was best, she recommended three beef meals but the flounder was excellent. I have been going pretty easy on the salt during my recent diet so the salt in the flounder breading was very obvious and very welcome. The cole slaw was also very good and, unlike a lot of Southern establishments, was not swimming in milk, water, nor salad dressing. It was just right.
    The prices were fair but were a bit (10%, perhaps?) more than I thought that they should have been.

Spartanburg Favorites

by etfromnc Updated Sep 15, 2006

Favorite thing: Big time, non-athletic, entertainment, such as concerts and Broadway shows, in Spartanburg probably appears at the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium. For information on coming events, go to www.crowdpleaser.com.

• Music
    • Theater Travel

Instant Answers: Spartanburg

Comments

Spartanburg Travel Guide
Map of Spartanburg