Tourist Attractions in South Carolina

Most Viewed Tourist Traps in South Carolina

• KarenandCory's Profile Photo

Glutton for punishment

by KarenandCory Updated May 17, 2007

South of the Border is the biggest tourist trap EVER! It's the biggest bunch of nothing since Darwin's theory of evolution. I'm so much of a jerk I not only have visited more than once but I have more than one VT tip on the place!
    On my most recent road trip I was very disappointed to notice there are far less annoying South of the Border billboards on I-95. No 'sign' of Pedro until Virginia or North Carolina. But don't assume Pedro has gotten a life. No. He still is a big liar. Yeah, he promises South of the Border is the best place on Earth. He promotes this place like it's freakin' Disney World. Lie, lie, lie, lie, LIE.
    Silly Pedro.

Well, at least they sell fireworks.

Unique Suggestions: Billboard Honorable Mention Goes to:

You never Sausage a place. (you're always a weiner at Pedro's)

Can't make this stuff up. weekend getaway!?! Quality gift shop items.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Jun 20, 2006

Depending on your point of view, "South of the Border" is roadside America at it's worst - or it's best.

If you're traveling through the Carolinas along Interstate 95, you literally can't miss the billboards - scores - maybe hundreds of them, including: "Camp Weeth Pedro," "Fireworks Capital of America," and one of my favorites "Keep Yelling Kids - They'll Stop."

Just south of the North Carolina/South Carolina state line you will find SOB - one of the biggest, junkiest collections of souvenir shops you've ever seen, along with restaurants, amusements and even a hotel and conference center.

In my mind the stuff you'll find here is tacky and overpriced. Still it is an interesting bit of Roadside America - and you may even enjoy it.

Unique Suggestions: If you pass this place you've got to stop at least once just to say you've seen it. I visited SOB once with my children several years ago and promised myself to never return again. Then I stopped one more time at "South of the Border" recently, but just long enough to take a few pictures for my VT page.

South of the Border

Welcome to South of the Border Pedro and Pink Flamings Welcome You Take Family Photos at South of the Border South of the Border Sombrero Tower

• KarenandCory's Profile Photo

Oy Vay! Welcome to the Capital of Kitsch

by KarenandCory Written Aug 1, 2005

SOUTH OF THE BORDER

You start seeing signs for South of the Border on I-95 in Baltimore. After countless miles of getting to know that pesky Pedro from the billboards, by the time you reach North Carolina you want to visit South of the Border if only to GET IT OVER WITH.
    The first thing that hits you is the enormous size of the place. You could spend days at South of the Border. Although, why you would want to is beyond me. I've never been to a more annoying tourist trap. This place has everything; motel, shops, restaurants, gas. But there's also nothing there. It's the biggest, cheesiest waste of space ever!

South of the Border is located on Interstate 95 at U.s. 301-501 at The North Carolina/South Carolina State Line

Unique Suggestions: This wacky roadside attraction is something you have to see at least once. Sombreros and plastic trinkets galore.
    It makes for some interesting pictures. There's no way I could ever stay here more than an hour or so. I simply can't fathom people spending their honeymoon here!

Fun Alternatives: I-95 trip to Florida is boring. There's not much to see. It's understandable why so many stop at South of the Border. An alternative would be to use VT to plan something better. Or get off at a random exit and I'm sure you'll find something more worth your while to break up the monotony of the trip.

South of the Border Pedro We so crazy! <Insert comedic phrase here> Well, at least they sell fireworks!

• South of the Border

by MandaJ320 Updated May 19, 2004

South of the Border is an Mexican-themed park located right at the North Carolina/South Carolina border on I-95. I have never been here, but I hear it's not what it used to be. Driving on I-95, you will see signs for this place hundreds of miles away, and the closer you get, the more signs you see. (I once counted about 30 signs in less than an hour.) It might be a nice place to stop for little kids, but it's definitely a tourist trap.

Fun Alternatives: If you want a theme park between North and South Carolina, travel down I-77 instead. (You can take I-85 to I-77 to I-26 and both ends meet up at different parts of I-95, so it's an easy detour.) Carowinds has a lot of fun rollercoasters, a waterpark, and restaurants

• Theme Park Trips

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo

by tpangelinan Updated Apr 12, 2004

Well what can you say about South of the Border. They have hundres of billboards up and down the highway. So believe me, you know when you have arrived at the exit. Now don't get me wrong, for little kids this has been a point of excitement for many years, rides and cheap gifts. You can take an elevator to the top of the Big Sombrero. Lots to do, eat, and buy. Something you need to do only once!

Unique Suggestions: http://www.pedroland.com/

South of the border
    • Theme Park Trips
    • Festivals

• South Carolina is great!

by CodyPup Written Apr 29, 2003

My choir went down to Charleston for 5 days for an ajudication. My friends and I had the time of our lives... missing 3 days of school will make anyone happy :) But the best part was the people. Down in the market places in Charleston, the people are so friendly and willing to lend a helping hand. I went into a watch store for a present for my dad and we spent 1/2 an hour there just talking to the man and his wife. Don't feel nervous asking for help... the locals are SO friendly. And be sure to visit the USS Yorktown at Patriot's Point. The tours are awesome.

Unique Suggestions: The USS Yorktown can seem boring at some points but at least go up to the flight deck and see the fighter planes. I was never into WWII but after seeing and touching those planes I wanted to learn more about it. It's really a time trip down inside the aircraft carrier.

Fun Alternatives: If the ship isn't what you're looking for, the market place is so much fun. It's like an outdoor mall. A lot of handcrafted souvenirs are for sale like paintings and jewelry. I hope your trip is as good as mine was! It's sure to build lasting memories :)

• Study Abroad

• wilsonjw's Profile Photo

by wilsonjw Updated Feb 9, 2003

Heralded by road-side signs for miles, South of the Border looms large just south of the North Carolina -- South Carolina state line on Interstate 95.

Unique Suggestions: Get out of your car, and soak up the local charm. Wander through the shops, and check out the eateries to see what South of the Border has to offer.

Nighttime at South of the Border

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

As you drive north or south on...

by richiecdisc Written Sep 11, 2002

As you drive north or south on I-95, you will see signs for South of the Border. It's a tacky complex impersonating tacky Tijuana complete with motel, restaurants, fireworks stores, mini golf, and just about any other item that they can think of to sell you as you make your trek in either direction. It's a fun stop once and as a kid, it's certainly the most memorable thing en route.

• Watch out for all the tourist...

by szartman Written Aug 26, 2002

Watch out for all the tourist trap shoppes on the grand strand. We found one that advertised 'live shark here'. Upon stopping in, they informed us that the shark had died, and that it wasn't there anymore. So much for that. I guess it wasn't really a 'live' shark, and well, it wasn't exactly 'here', but otherwise the sign was pretty accurate.

• louise1928's Profile Photo

Personally I felt the two...

by louise1928 Written Aug 26, 2002

Personally I felt the two amusement parks they have were nothing to write home about, but considering their locations, don't expect Great adventures!!! These are on a much smaller scale..(maybe they have changed a great deal since, 1997).

• mikem's Profile Photo

Depending on your point of...

by mikem Written Aug 25, 2002

Depending on your point of view Myrtle Beach in the summer can be the greatest place on Earth, or the worst nightmare. College kids, folks that don't mind crowds & traffic will find a great beach environment. I tend to suggest folks visit is shoulder seasons (September-November) even December is generally acceptable (if somewhat cold). Great bargains can be had in off season.
    Your accomodation in some Coastal towns can be very expensive, or disappointing if you are not sure where you want to stay. Good values are given in 'off beach' hotels but they typically don't have a pool, you have to walk to the beach and they can have 60 college students in one room (well maybe not 60).

• Broadway by the Beach is a...

by traveltom Updated Aug 24, 2002

Broadway by the Beach is a large shopping center that just went up on Bypass 17 in the heart of Myrtle Beach. It is nice to walk around and see the lake and happy people (and get some ben and jerry's ice cream), but most of the stores there sell pure crap, expensive crap. Some restaurants are good there, like Landry's.

South Carolina Hotels

Santee Hotels
Dillon Hotels
23 Reviews - 32 Photos

Instant Answers: South Carolina

Comments

South Carolina Tourist Traps

Reviews and photos of South Carolina tourist traps posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for South Carolina sightseeing.
Map of South Carolina