Getting Around South Carolina

I Think We Should Go That Way
    by riorich55

Most Viewed Transportation in South Carolina

• lmkluque's Profile Photo

First Train Trip In The USA!

by lmkluque Updated Jun 10, 2012

I departed from Union Station, Washington DC and took the train to Dillon South Carolina. I had never traveled by train in the U.S. but had just returned from Europe where I learned quite a bit about the ease and fun of train travel.

I wanted to experience the difference between European trains and those in the USA. It seemed quite similar to me.

I spent most of the six and a half hour ride in the smoking car where everyone was more social. Also, I wanted to see if there was much of a difference in racial attitudes between South Carolina and California. The train was my first exposure and I observed, but not for long because I was surprised to hear a couple speaking Danish to each other! Well, from my short time in Danmark, it sounded as if they were speaking Danish. Not able to contain my excitement, I asked them. We ended up in conversation that whiled away the hours. They asked me if I spoke Danish and I told them the only words I knew in their language, "Jeg Elsker Dig=I love you."

My Danish Pen Pal taught me this phrase and when I saw it on paper and tried to sound it out it made me laugh. It did not seem to be a romantic sound at all. When I visited her in Danmark, I asked about it and she taught me to say it correctly. This time, I said it perfectly the Danish man told me so.

So, soon the train ride was over and thank goodness that there was someone waiting for me in a car. I had miles and miles yet to go to get to Myrtle Beach. Of course, getting around by car is really the most convenient once you get off the train.

Union Station
    • Business Travel
    • Trains

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Intercoastal Waterway aka ICW

by grandmaR Written Jul 28, 2010

Beginning in the fall of 2000, most of our visits to SC were by boat as we cruised down the Intercoastal. We usually stopped in the Charleston area to see our grandchildren.

The ICW enters SC near Little River Inlet up by Myrtle Beach. It passes Barefoot Landing and goes through the Pine Island Cut AKA the Rock Pile. The hidden rock ledges along this canal are a real hazard to boaters. After you pass Socastee, you emerge into the Wacamaw River. There is often good sailing down this river to Georgetown on Winyah Bay.

After Georgetown there is a very long stretch down canals and rivers - passing McClellandville and the Cape Romain Wildlife Preserve and the Francis Marion State Forest to get to Charleston before the Ben Sawyer Bridge closes for rush hour. This bridge is susceptible to high winds and may remain closed in certain wind conditions, so it is always a relief to get past that point.

Cross Charleston Harbor, busy with freighters, ferries and sailboats, and thread your way through rivers, sounds and connecting canals to Beaufort and the Paris Island marine base. At the south end of the SC ICW is Hilton Head just before you exit to Savannah and Thunderbolt GA.

Bascule bridge in SC Paris Island Wacamaw River Barefoot landing
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Cruise

• riorich55's Profile Photo

Motorcycle Road Trip

by riorich55 Written Dec 21, 2009

On our Sunday afternoon road trip through South Carolina we stopped at several small towns enroute to just walk around a bit or possibly find another photo op. In the town on Denmark, South Carolina I happened to see these motorcyclist across the street trying to figure out something. They were parked in front of an out of business gas station with the high school sign, a street marker (Otis Street) and a historical marker (AT & T Building) in the background.

I wondered were these fellows just on a local Sunday road trip and if so where they had been that day and where were they going? I always find it interesting to see their colorful jackets, each with their own personal statements on the back. I've only ridden on the back of a motorcycle one time in my life, but have always wondered what it would be like to do a long distance trip exploring the countryside on a motorcycle.

I Think We Should Go That Way
    • Motorcycle

• Astrobuck's Profile Photo

South Carolina Welcome Center

by Astrobuck Written Dec 30, 2008

Here is a South Carolina Welcome Center. These are located at the rest areas past the state line. These are great places to go because they have a wealth of information on destinations all around South Carolina. They also have free road maps they can give you should you need one.

• TyDoRo's Profile Photo

Ride the Rickshaw

by TyDoRo Written Mar 30, 2008

the only way to get around charleston, SC is to take a rickshaw. The city is small enough tha you can get anywhere you want by taking a rickshaw. You will also get to see the sights in peace while on your ride. If you take a ride, ask for me, it's my job!!!!

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Cars and Sports

by grandmaR Updated Aug 2, 2007

This plate recognizes South Carolina as having been the number one golf destination in the United States. The cost for the plate is $70.00 plus registration fee. Proceeds from this plate are distributed to the SC Junior Golf Association to fund its many programs such as scholarships and free golf instruction for minority and underprivileged children

The official South Carolina state license plate (photo 2) includes the logo of the South Carolina Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism, 'Smiling Faces. Beautiful Places.' A palmetto tree, the state tree, is located in the center of the license plate. The background of the license plate consists of a border of blue mountains.

There are other sports related plates in SC - there are a variety of NASCAR plates (photo 3) and some of individual drivers. And there are a variety of other vanity plates just like in other states

regular plate NASCAR plate Fishing plate Homeowner plate
    • Fishing
    • Golf

• davecallahan's Profile Photo

South Carolina D O T

by davecallahan Updated Mar 30, 2007

The Department of Transportation website for South Carolina is relatively comprehensive in terms of tourist information.

They provide traffic advisories for weather, traffic, accidents, construction and detours.
    They have live cameras on some of the major highways.
    There is information on emergency procedures and numbers to call.
    You can find maps and routes.
    They have links to popular tourist venues.
    There are links to alternative transportation: trains, planes, buses.

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

The boat to Daufuskie Island

by Tom_Fields Written Feb 10, 2006

Daufuskie Island is linked to the mainland (that is, Hilton Head Island) ONLY by boat. There is no bridge, and if the locals have their way, there never will be. They rather like being a bit isolated.

The boat ride from Hilton Head to Daufuskie Island is a delight, equal to the trip around the island itself. Along the way are many interesting sights.

Departing from Hilton Head Island The Carolina coast Seagulls following the boat Daufuskie Island's lighthouse--allegedly haunted Approaching the Daufuskie Island Marina
    • Cruise

• Tom_Fields's Profile Photo

Daufuskie Island

by Tom_Fields Written May 17, 2005

Many rent golfcarts to travel about Daufuskie Island. I took a guided, narrated tour on this open bus. Learn some interesting facts about this place. Observe the local wildlife; the guided pointed out an osprey's nest to me. Check the website for more details.

From the village, choose the bus or the golf cart I chose the tour bus Our driver On the dirt road--it's pretty rough going
    • Adventure Travel

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo

South Carolina Roads

by tpangelinan Written Apr 12, 2004

South Carolina has some long flat highways, speed is average 70MPH. Serveral rest stops so if you feel tired while driving pull over for your own safety. On my way back from Florida I saw the after affects of an SUV overturned with a large trailer, not sure if it was because of a sleeply driver or not but don't take the chance. STOP AT A REST STOP THAT'S WHY THEY ARE THERE!

Highway

• tini58de's Profile Photo

Fly or drive

by tini58de Updated Apr 27, 2003

There are numerous small and big airports in South Carolina:

- AUGUSTA REGIONAL AIRPORT (AGS)
    Augusta Regional Airport serves the Augusta GA and N Augusta/Aiken SC areas.

- CHARLESTON INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (CHS)
    Charleston International Airport serves the Lowcountry, including the tri-county Charleston area. Airlines in operation at this airport are Continental, Delta, Delta Comair, Midway, TWA, United and US Airways.

- CHARLOTTE/DOUGLAS INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (CLT)
    International airport serving the Charlotte NC and Rock Hill SC area. Airlines in operation at this airport are US Airways, US Airways Express, American Airlines, British Airways, Canadian Airlines, Continental, Continental Express, Delta, Delta Comair, Northwest Airlines, Southeast Airlines, Transworld and United.

- COLUMBIA METROPOLITAN AIRPORT (CAE)
    Columbia Metropolitan Airport serves the Midlands area, including Columbia, Lexington and Sumter. Airlines in operation at this airport are Continental, Delta, Delta ASA, Delta Comair, Midway, United Express, US Airways and US Airways Express.

- GREENVILLE/SPARTANBURG INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (GSP)
    Airport serving the Greenville and Spartanburg area. Airlines in operation at this airport are American Eagle, Continental, Delta, Delta ASA, Delta Comair, Midway Airlines - Corporate, Northwest Airlines, TWA Express, United Express, and US Airways.

- HILTON HEAD AIRPORT (HHH)
    Airport serving the Hilton Head Island and Beaufort areas. Airline in operation at this airport is US Airways Express.

- MYRTLE BEACH INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (MYR)
    Airport serving the Myrtle Beach and Grand Strand area. Airlines in operation at this airport are Air Canada, Air Tran, Continental, Corporate Express, Delta ASA, Delta Comair, Midway, Spirit, and US Airways.

Greyhound, Amtrak, cars or horse carriages are other means of transportation in South Carolina as well!!!

horse carriage in Charleston

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

As with all things involving...

by richiecdisc Written Sep 11, 2002

As with all things involving the US, the car reigns supreme for getting there....
    and getting around though the cities themselves are best explored on foot, an option these horses wish you'd consider too. ;>

• From Wisconsin, we have found...

by szartman Written Aug 26, 2002

From Wisconsin, we have found no good way to get directly to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. We flew down on our first trip with a connecting flight from Chicago in Atlanta, then on to Myrtle. Approx travel time: 10 hrs
    Then two years later we drove straight down, through the Smoky Mountains, all interstate driving of exactly 1000 miles. Approx travel time: 16.5 hours

Either way you are going to spend an entire day traveling.

• Several airports. Myrtle...

by nook77 Written Aug 26, 2002

Several airports. Myrtle beach, Columbia, and Greenville-Spartanburg airports. The interstate highways; I-20, I-95, I-77 and I-26 will get u anywhere.
    By car. If u fly into Columbia, it is in the middle of the state. You can get to any destination in a couple of hours at the most. And, all 4 major interstates go thru Columbia. You can go North, East, South or West on them.

• jaybird199's Profile Photo

There are airpots in South...

by jaybird199 Written Aug 25, 2002

There are airpots in South Carolina, but its expensive to fly here. The cheapest is definately Myrtle Beach. Other than that, SOuth Carolina's highways are effecient and in good condition. I-26 is a major thoroughfare form the western part of the state to the coast and I-95 traverses the state from north to south. Both these highways can be congested.
    Getting around is best done by car.

South Carolina Hotels

23 Reviews - 32 Photos
Florence Hotels
13 Reviews - 24 Photos

Instant Answers: South Carolina

Comments

South Carolina Transportation

Reviews and photos of South Carolina transportation posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for South Carolina sightseeing.
Map of South Carolina