Whooping Island Travel Guide

• West end SC 174 Highway Bridge from the Dawho R
    West end SC 174 Highway Bridge from the...
    St. Pierre or Fishing Creek at dusk
    SC 174 Bridge from Fishing Creek at dusk

Whooping Island Sports & Outdoors

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Written Mar 11, 2003

The charts call this Fishing Creek, but Claiborne Young thinks it may really be a branch of St. Pierre Creek.

This is a nice anchorage, although I suspect it can be buggy in warm weather. It is deep enough for folks with deeper keels even with an 8 foot tide. And we appeared to have plenty of room to swing. This would be a problem (with that great a tide) if we swung into the bank and the tide went out - the boat would lie over on the side, and might not be able to refloat when the tide came back in.

Equipment: At the other end of the SC 174 bridge is Whooping Island. This was as close as I could get to the location of this anchorage. The old bridge is still there on the Whooping Island side underneath the fixed highway bridge and there is a boat ramp there too. We saw a trawler with a Jack Russell stop at the stub of the old bridge - the dog hopped off, relieved himself, and hopped back on the boat. I doubt if that's what they had in mind, but hey - it works.

Island Packet anchored behind us in Fishing Creek
    • Sailing and Boating
    • Fishing

Whooping Island Favorites

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Written Apr 1, 2004

Favorite thing: When I found Whooping Island in the VT index, I wondered about the name. The only whooping that I'm familiar with is the whooping crane. But I thought that those cranes lived in Texas which would be a bit off the beaten track for here in SC. I supposed that the cranes were named for the sound they made and maybe this island was too.

Fondest memory: Sure enough, when I looked it up the Sandlapper has an article on Place Names in South Carolina which confirms my suspicion. It was NOT that someone sighted a whooping crane there.

"Actually, it was the home of the ferryman to whom folks visiting on the mainland "whooped" when they wanted the ferryman to come over to ferry them back to Edisto Island."

The Whooping Island end of the SC 174 bridge
    • Beaches

Instant Answers: Whooping Island

Comments

Whooping Island Travel Guide
Map of Whooping Island