Pierre Travel Guide

• Pierre
    The capitol building in 1948
    by grandmaR
    Our car in front of the capitol

Pierre Things to Do

• grandmaR's Profile Photo
    The capitol building in 1948 3 more images

by grandmaR Updated Aug 19, 2011

My father like to take pictures of the state capitol buildings. So when we visited the Badlands and Mount Rushmore, we took a side trip so he could take a picture of the capitol. In fact the second photo has our car in it.

Currently the Capitol Tour Office is located in the Capitol Lake Visitor Center, just east of the Capitol next to Capitol Lake. Tours are provided by volunteers, so tours need to be pre-scheduled several days in advance. Also available are self-guided tour brochures, which are available in stands just inside the north entrance of the building. Tourist information is also available for visitors. The Capitol Building is open 365 days a year, from 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. on weekends and holidays. From Thanksgiving through the last legislative day, the Capitol is open from 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. to accommodate visitors to the Christmas Trees and the State Legislature.

According to the South Dakota website:

..Capitol building was built between the years of 1905 and 1910. The more than 114,000 square foot structure was constructed of a variety of materials, including native field stone, Indiana limestone, and Vermont and Italian marble. The structure is 161 feet tall, 190 feet wide, and 292 feet long and features hundreds of handcrafted materials including carved woodwork and marble, special cast brass, and hand laid stone

• Architecture

Pierre Hotels

Pierre Restaurants

• jtur88's Profile Photo

by jtur88 Written Sep 7, 2005

La Minestra would stand out as one of the best restaurants in any city in America. The ambience, clientele and service are a delight for the most discriminating diner. Abundant portions and the price fits the stingiest budget. We were absolutely
    AMAZED to find such outstanding dining in such a small town in the middle of nowhere.

Myril Arch's Cattleman's Club Lodge & Steakhouse
    Nothing fancy -- sawdust on the floor, furniture completely lacking in ambiance, and the salad fixings come in tupperware -- but Damn,the steak is good! Pretty open country as well.

Favorite Dish: Steak in any size.

• Pierre Hotels

13 Hotels in Pierre

71 Reviews and Opinions

Pierre Transportation

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo
    On the ramp in Denver, departing for Pierre. 3 more images

by frankcanfly Updated Aug 22, 2006

If you're traveling by air to Pierre, your choices are limited:

You have to fly from either Denver on Great Lakes airlines (ticketed under United or Frontier) or from Minneapolis on Northwest (express)

I hope you like flying in small planes.....

• Business Travel

Pierre Local Customs

• by EFCunliffe Written Aug 26, 2002

My traveling companion and I had come up on an audit from Florida. I don't have a lot of winter wear, but I have a fairly warm NFL team coat. We drove about an hour out of town to a Sioux Empire Casino. The crown was mixed Sioux and American. I noticed I got strange looks in the casino. I thought to myself 'This is a pretty tough looking crowd' -- then it dawned on me that my Washington Redskins coat was probably not the most appropriate choice for this venue.

On a lighter note, Pierre has a very nice Cultural Heritage Museum set in a hillside just North (I think) of the Capital. Allow 2 hours; admission is (I think) $5

Pierre Warnings and Dangers

• by EFCunliffe Written Aug 26, 2002

There are few flights to/from Pierre, No train, and little in the way of useful Bus service. Changing flights can be a problem. We were done 2 days ahead of schedule with a project, but could not catch an earlier flight out for 1 1/2 days.

Pierre Favorites

• by EFCunliffe Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: The Statehouse. It's a beautiful, early 20th century building with a gorgeous black dome, wonderful artwork on the inside, and (in season) beautifully decorated Christmas trees. Adjoining is a goose-filled lake and a very moving war memorial.

Fondest memory: My three fondest memories of Pierre are (because I'm a rail buff) the big iron railroad bridge over the Missouri (next to the Best Western Ramkota where I stayed), eating at the Cattlemans Club, and visiting the Statehouse at Christmas time. Also worth seeing are the Cultural Heritage museum, and the Triple U Buffalo Ranch.

Instant Answers: Pierre

Comments

Pierre Travel Guide
Map of Pierre