Rapid City Restaurants

• Basaic's Profile Photo

Denny's: Good Food, Poor Service

by Basaic Written Dec 14, 2010

Denny's

Denny's is pretty consistent in the preparation of the food. I normally like the Tilapia and I enjoyed it here too. Everything was about what you expect for a Denny's except the service which was substandard. My waitress seemed more interested in talking with her coworkers than serving customers. It was right across the street from my hotel, so it was convenient.

Favorite Dish: I enjoyed the Tilapia Ranchero, well prepared and flavorful.

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Firehouse Brewing Co.: Fun in Downtown

by apbeaches Updated Aug 25, 2008

This old firehouse turned into restaurant was a lot of fun. The garage was turned into outdoor dining with lighting and heat lamps. Bands played on weekends; great people watching. There was an extensive beer list with many on tap. The Mexican Taco Salad was good & the spinach tortellini with artichokes & mushrooms was good as well. Service was prompt & good.

• apbeaches's Profile Photo

Sanford's Grub & Pub: Sanford & Son Theme

by apbeaches Updated Aug 25, 2008

Fun ambiance it felt like we were going back in time to the Sanford & Son sitcom. Large restaurant with many rooms filled with kitsch. The menu was pages long; it appeared to be a cajun creole theme. The huge taco salad arrived on a huge tray with a cast iron bowl of chili and a bowl of salsa. The taco was fresh & delish. The Poor Man's Lobster was fried crawfish in a cast iron pan with wonderful horseradishy cocktail sauce. The big cookie desert filled another tray. The chocolate chip cookie was about 8' in diameter with 3 scoops of vanilla ice cream on top. Each scoop had a different topping with lot's of whipped cream. Yes, portions were enormous & enough to share! Jessica our service was professional, prompt &

Favorite Dish: They have a happy hour during the week from 3 to 6 when cocktails & appetizers are 1/2 price.

• Culver's: Love This Place

by KRB21 Written Aug 31, 2008

We ate at Culver's twice while staying in Rapid City. The first time we both had the Butter Burgers and a Turtle Concrete Mixer. The second time I had the Sourdough Melt and my husband had the BBQ Brisket sandwich. We also got another Turtle Concrete Mixer. Everything was excellent. Great, friendly service. I'm already missing Culver's. I wish they had one on the East Coast.

Favorite Dish: Butter Burger, Sourdough Melt, Turtle Concrete Mixer - wish I'd been in the area longer to try some of the other items on their extensive menu.

• wolf1964's Profile Photo

Prairie Wind Restaurant: Good steak dinner!

by wolf1964 Updated Apr 4, 2011

Prairie Wind Casino is located 12 miles east of Oelrichs, SD on Hwy. 18 and 12 miles west of Oglala, SD.

Favorite Dish: I had a steak dinner and it was gorgeous. Didn't have to wait long. There was also a buffet available as well as the menu.

• Hopkid's Profile Photo

Saigon: Tasty Vietnamese in the Midwest

by Hopkid Written Apr 26, 2005

I picked the Chinese category because the menu has Chinese as well as Vietnamese items on the menu. You can even order Thai dishes. The thing you notice when you walk into this smartly decorated and bright dining room is that wonderful aroma coming from the kitchen. It's almost too much to bear while waiting for your order to arrive!

Saigon is a good alternative to the typical meat and potato restaurants in the midwest and is one recommendation among the many Chinese restaurants in town.

Favorite Dish: Shrimp and pork spring rolls, marinated pork chops, grilled marinated pork, Thai curry shrimp

• Hopkid's Profile Photo

Casa del Rey: Mediocre Mexican

by Hopkid Written Apr 26, 2005

Too often Mexican food outside of California, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas are less than decent. Casa del Rey is no exception. With a festive interior decor and a large menu, it is a nice place to have a meal. Just don't expect more than the typical Mexican dishes dumbed down for Americans. One dish I thought would be different was something called entomatadas. However pretty much resembled enchiladas but the sauce was too much like tomato sauce out of a can.

The chilled green salad was nice and crisp and the salsa ranch dressing was a nice unique touch. Plus as long as a Mexican restaurant has Negro Modelo available, I would go back.

• WFTR's Profile Photo

Dairy Queen: Dairy Queen

by WFTR Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite Dish: Rapid City has at least one Dairy Queen, and I stopped there to write in my travel journal one night in 1990. I met a couple of young ladies who had worked the summer in the area and were hanging out before returning somewhere. We just sat in the parking lot and talked, but it was fun to talk to them.

• Everest Cuisine: Paneer Kahai?

by not-fried Updated Jul 18, 2012
    Look for this sign!

Paneer (puh-neer), a fresh cheese of Indian origin, is an unaged, non-melting farmer cheese that is lacto-vegetarian and an Indian protein source for vegetarians. A Kadai is a deep cooking pot similar to a oriental wok. Traditionally made of cast iron, they are now made from stainless steel, copper, and are even non-stick coated. Newer models are flat bottomed and many often have round or loop-shaped handles.

Everest Cuisine, 2328 West Main Street, Rapid City, SD, serves Paneer Kadai and other delectables Monday through Sunday. Anyway you want it; dine-in, take-out, or delivery (605-343-4444). I can't wait for them to open. In the mean time, I will just pour over the menu and select these new taste treats available a mere five minutes from my house. A humble environment on a busy thoroughfare, it is just the place to relax. Unpretentious in ambiance, delightfully friendly personnel, and prices that make you smile - this will be a hangout for me.

The menu is online at www.theeverestcuisine.com so you can plan your list of taste treats that are "A genuine taste of Indian and Nepalese food." Stop by on or after July 19, 2012 [Just one more day]!

Favorite Dish: I will let you know as I wander through the offerings.

• Study Abroad

• "taste of Chicago": A dozen sandwich delights.

by not-fried Written Aug 5, 2013
    Hold the fries take Jay's Chicago Potato Chips

Not being from Chicago, I was intrigued by the name "Taste Of Chicago." Seeing the grand opening sign was just the invite I needed to bust on in.

Walking up to the entrance I see a Hot Dog or Sausage applying Ketchup to his head and a cone of fries holding a sign. Whimsical. But the food inside was substantial! I am ahead of myself.

A dozen sandwich choices await you at "taste of Chicago" and quite a bit of Chicago sports team memorablilia. Da Bears, Sox, Bulls, and the rest are all represented in the form of photos, cards, balls, framed number jersey panels, and the like.

Not being a real bread lover, I cannot help but think real bread lovers would enjoy the Gonnella rolls used to make several of the sandwiches. Nice flavor and pleasant texture; I ate the whole bottom [which my wife will tell you is a feat for me].

The Italian Beef sandwich was my second choice, the ever popular Rockin Reubin was totally consumed by previous diners. The beef was tender and easily digestible; flavorful without overtaking the cheese and gravy. It wasn't sloppy, so a fork was not required. If you like veggies on this kind of grip, bell peppers and onions are available.

Not to disclose the entire menu, think about these; Tamale Boat, Cubbies Corned Beef, Maxwell Street Polish, and "THE DOGSTER." Yellow mustard, neon relish, chopped onion, tomato wedges, slice of cucumber, Chipico[R] pickle spear, sport peppers and a dash of celery salt grace the real large hot dog served in a steamed poppy seed bun. I think this will be my next taste from Chicago.

Kids portions are available and the chili smell hits you in the nose when you get in the door. Whether or not you like Chicago Professional Sports Broadcasts from 11AM to Midnight, stop by 710 N. LaCrosse Street Ste 4 in Rapid City, SD for a "taste of Chicago." 605-343-1234

Instant Answers: Rapid City

Comments

Rapid City Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Rapid City restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Rapid City sightseeing.