Wagner Travel Guide

a dinner for the doctor
  • Things to Do

Wagner Things to Do

by cochinjew Written Jan 23, 2009

Not having too many choices to eat well in this small town (there are fast food places of course, as ubiquitous as they are )... i was happy when my host offered to cook deer meat steak and produced a nice bottle of chilean wine to go with it.. thank god for little mercies

• cochinjew's Profile Photo
    one of the participants doing very well

by cochinjew Written Nov 2, 2007

I flew from Paris, while AF was on strike to Miami, spent a lovely day at the home of my jamaican sister, and then flew to Omaha Nebraska via Houston on Continental Airlines. I had to stay the night in Omaha at the Sleep Inn and the next day after a cafe and pain au chocolat at Delyce cafe in the old part of town, in a AVIS rent a car I drove up the 245 miles to Wagner. it was a long drive.
    why you may wonder?
    I am a consulant to the programme to reduce childhood obesity among the Yankton Sioux Indian Diabetes Programme and they invite me once or twice a year to clinically review the children who have enrolled in their programme and it is a delight. so while the travel to this outpost is cumbersome, my two days here are pleasurable since i get to meet the children and their families.

by cochinjew Written Nov 2, 2007

it is such a pleasure to wake up and see the sun rising slowly over the vast dome of the skies and the blue colour

Wagner Hotels

Wagner Restaurants

by cochinjew Written Jan 23, 2009

One of the two restaurants in Wagner, another roadside attraction with a cozy atmosphere and welcoming ambience, in the morning you see the regulars with their coffees and broad smiles and at dinner time, you could have all homemade american specialties.. I wouldnt call myself a Chef said the owner, but i am a cook ..
    this is off the beaten track of a town, and imagine my surprise when the owner told me that his daughter is living in France... ah well

Favorite Dish: I had grilled chicken sandwich which was tender in nature and the homemade potato salad was tasty enough. the price was extremely reasonable. so i recommend this place if you are in Wagner at any Mealtime..

by cochinjew Written Nov 2, 2007

One year later, i walk back into this restaurant, and am warmly greeted by the same lady, who said: you are here again!
    the ambience decor nothing has changed. i enjoyed this trip into the past, where the america of the 70 or even earlier is preserved and all the diners at the establishment were older retired people out for an evening. everyone greet one another, since in this small town everybody knows everyone else
    there were no indians there since indians generally are not very comfortable dining in white esablishments, even though this town is in their reservation

Favorite Dish: i did not wish to eat any steak which is their main offering, the special of the day was pork ribs, so that is two shots against my palate: I dont eat pork, i dont wish to eat meat much. the walleye a river fish was on the offer and it tasted very very fresh.

sun and the snow

by cochinjew Updated Jan 17, 2003

An old mechanical shed converted into a cozy home style restaurant. furthermore the waitresses or respectfully we must refer to them as retired ladies, since they are in their late sixties... the lady who attended to our table had retired as a doctors secretary after 30 years!

Favorite Dish: The smallest steak they could cut for me was 6 oz and they made fun of it, since it was so small, it was more than adequate for me. no wine list but plonk is availbale as is beer. just a rural tavern with quiet atmosphere

Wagner Off The Beaten Path

by cochinjew Written Jan 23, 2009

it was a cold night, as expected in these parts in january 2009. My host insisted that i come and watch them skin a doe .. i resisted but they insisted.. i was overcome with the friendliness and congeniality of these friends who are all farmers and how down to earth these people are.. they offered me instant snacks made of fresh deer meat and if i wanted they would have loaded me up with oodles of deer flesh. it looked very lean and without much fat in it..
    the night was cold but we were sitting inside a shed, with noone or house for a big radius.. quiet quie outside..

Instant Answers: Wagner

Comments

Wagner Travel Guide
Map of Wagner