Chattanooga Restaurants

Most Recent Restaurants in Chattanooga

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Garden's Restaurant: Come Here for the Atmosphere - and the Food

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Jul 28, 2005

I have always enjoyed the ambiance of his restaurant, located just off the domed lobby of the old Chattanooga Choo Choo station. Opened in 1909 as Terminal Station, the train depot welcomed thousands of travelers during the golden age of railroads in America. Those who dine here today can still experience a bit of the atmosphere of that bygone era, surrounded by greenery and sunny windows looking out over the formal gardens, where there were once railroad tracks.

The setting is casual and you do not need reservations. They are open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but not in between.

Favorite Dish: Traditional southern cooking in a wide variety; everything I've tried here is good. I especially like their gourmet deserts.

The Garden Dining Room

Southside Grill: Excellent Local Cuisine

by soundsgoodtome Written Jul 10, 2005

The Southside Grill is an upscale, unique restaurant in the trendy, growing Southside area of downtown with many great culinary choices. My first and only experience here was great, and I will hopefully go back one day. Choose to dine inside or out, you will not be disappointed either way. The outdoor patio is covered and there is a small garden with native wildflowers and shrubs separating you from the entrance. The inside is very elegant with candles at every table and formal artwork on the walls. This is a great restaurant for couples, but not for kids. Open for dinner and lunch. Reservations not required but are a good idea for dinner.

Favorite Dish: I had the fish of the day, grouper, with roasted tomatoes and jasmine rice. Everything was very good, with the right amount and variety of spices. My girlfriend ordered the quail, which is wrapped in bacon and grilled. The unique taste is one I will not forget, and I would definitely recommend it for anyone who likes well-cooked meat. It was served with rice cakes and asparagus. For dessert I had key lime pie, which was good, but probably not worth the $6 per piece unless you're celebrating a very special occasion. They also serve coffee roasted by Greyfriar's, a great complement to dessert. Entrees between $14-$25, with salad and soup $5. Check out the menu on their website.

• Wine Tasting

Big River Grill: Great Food and Homemade Ale

by soundsgoodtome Updated Jul 10, 2005

Big River Grill is another great restaurant that was started in Chattanooga but has since been added in other cities. They have some of the best food around, seafood, steak, chicken, veggies, etc. and best of all, they make their own beer. In fact, their beers have won several awards at national and international competitions. There is a large variety and you can order a sample tray so that you can try 5 or 6 at a time before you decide which you'd like to have. The atmosphere is great as well, and you can dine inside or out. It is located on the corner of Broad and 2nd Street, adjacent from the aquarium and across from the Bijou Theatre. Its a good place for families, as well as couples and singles who just want to sit around at the bar and enjoy the ballgame.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish here is by far the smoky mountain pasta, while I also recommend the hickory bacon burger if you like barbeque sauce. Right now if you go to the Imax your ticket stub is good for a free order of tortilla chips and a cheese dip that has spinach and tomatoes, very good, with purchase of an entree. This may only be for a limited time though, and perhaps only for certain movies that they sponsor, but i'm not sure.

• Beer Tasting

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Big River Grille & Brewing Works: My Favorite Downtown Eatery

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Jun 28, 2005

On different visits to Chattanooga I have brought Karen, my son Gregory, my grandchildren, and my Dad all to Big River Grill, so I must like this place. It is a sports bar / brewery housed in an old warehouse in the heart of the riverfront entertainment district.

Favorite Dish: I love the Hickory Bacon Burger with smoked cheddar cheese and sweet magnolia barbecue sauce. They also have pizza, pasta, seafood, chicken, steak and other offerings. Everything is good.

Also, they claim to have an "award winning" selection of ales and lagers, freshly brewed on the premises. I personally prefer the sweet iced tea.

big River Grille & Brewing Works

Acropolis: Excellent Mediterranean Cuisine

by soundsgoodtome Written Feb 14, 2005

The Acropolis is a 4-star grill that is one of only about a dozen restaurants in the city to be given 5 stars by chattanoogadineout.com. This great local restaurant has a large selection of greek, italian, french, and american food. They use the perfect amounts of spices on everything and just about everything on the menu is delicious. Perhaps the best part of all is free: the homemade bread and cinnamin butter that comes with all entrees. Salads are very similar to Italian salads with a vinigrette-type house dressing. I recently tried their soup which was some of the best I've ever had anywhere. The owner is a very-friendly Greek man who makes sure to greet everyone before they leave and to ensure that everything was as good as it could possibly be. He alone makes this place unique and special, which is why I recommend it so highly besides the food. The restaurant's atmosphere is elegant and casual, decorated with Greek art and highlighted with traditional Greek music. You may want to make reservations but the wait is normally not very long except at peak times on the weekend.

Favorite Dish: My two favorite dishes so far are the Mahi Mahi and the santorini, with either garlic mashed potatoes or a baked potato and greek-style okra. Just make sure you have a lot of bread, and if you like, order the fried cheese, a Greek tradition. There is also a large selection of specialty drinks and desserts that are very good. Some have alcohol and/or coffee.

• grishaV1's Profile Photo

Qdoba: Fresh Off A Mexican Grill!

by grishaV1 Updated Nov 14, 2004

The atmosphere is very open and warm, even if there are few people inside, like when we visited. I guess it´s because of the decor and furnishings or floor plan it just feels good inside.

Qdoba is a chain of restaurants across America, I have been to a few in other places, but they generally have the same basic layout. You order your food from like deli-style line, watch them sizzle you up huge portions of steak or chicken, together with vegetables, rice, beans and signature salsas for quesadillas, taco salads, burritors and tacos. Everything is very fresh and made to order while you watch.

Favorite Dish: I love Mexican style foods because you can have lots of flavor, taste and fresh vegetables and legumes and still be full and happy. I had the vegetarian burrito with beans, cilantro rice, lettuce, guacamolé, zucchini, onions and peppers topped with a fiery habanéro salsa. It was absolutely huge, even I couldn´t eat it all! And only for $4.69 and some nice iced tea. Nice to have iced tea again!

Mom had a taco salad with black bean salsa, and said it was terrific also!

• cjdoscher's Profile Photo

Patrick's Restaurant and Lounge: Enjoy a variety of cuisine @ a popular dining spot

by cjdoscher Updated Sep 15, 2004

The location of this newly rebuilt restaurant across from Cumming's Cove (a scenic community with it's own golf course) and next to Raccoon Mountain is worth the drive on I-24 W. eight miles west of downtown Chattanooga, Tennessee. A good variety of steaks, seafood, or local and Southern quisine, such as barbeque, is available. They advertise that this is 'the home of the best steaks and burgers in town'. The hours are '6:00 a.m. to midnight'.

• Cheeburger Cheeburger: Great Burgers - Fun atmosphere

by RonaaRoo Written Jun 1, 2004

Cheeburger Cheeburger (no, I didn't misspell it) is a great little diner-type resturant in downtown Chattanooga. Their specialty is Cheeseburgers (obviously), and they even have a burger so big, if you eat all of it yourself, they'll take a picture of you and put it on the wall! I wasn't that brave, so I got the burger that is 2 sizes smaller. It was still huge! The service was friendly, and it was a great experience!

Favorite Dish: Cheeseburgers! You can get as many toppings at your like for FREE (excluding the cheese)....try Guacamole on your burger, it's actually pretty good!

Cheeburger Cheeburger (in the lower left corner)

• MatthewMetcalfe's Profile Photo

Big River Grill and Brewing Works: Great Food, Great Beer, Great Location!

by MatthewMetcalfe Written Jun 1, 2004

Big River is part of a chain of Breweries that produce excellent beer accompanied with great food. Portions are large so come hungry.

This Big River is right across the street from the Aquarium in Downtown Chattanooga. Since it's in the heart of the tourist area, it can get crowded.

It's the perfect spot for stopping after seeing all that Chattanooga has to offer.

Favorite Dish: The Iron Horse stout is my favorite beer produced here. You can also get it at some of their other restaurants and it's consistently been good.

They also have a seasonal or two on tap as well. I haven't met one yet that I didn't like.

The food is excellent as well, ribs and shrimp are among my favorite. The last time we were there the vegetable of the day was Snow Peas. Buttered, seasoned and served in the shell these were OUTSTANDING!

• Beer Tasting

• Bela_LUng's Profile Photo

Hunan Wok: eating chinese in the south of the United States!

by Bela_LUng Written May 8, 2004

If you are in the south, one of the last things you would think of doing is going ot a chinese restaurant. The southern United States has soooo much good food, that you wouldn't think of people wanting to eat chinese food, but yet there are restaurants (funny enough, mostly buffets :) all over the place.

We didn't chose the Hunan Wok based on any other reason then it was close by to the I-75.

When we walked in the place was half a garage sale half a restaurant with more staff hanging around then customers.

I ordered the Mongolian beef which was quite tender and tasty, with a nice amount of heat to it while my friend ordered chicken balls. Neither of us finished our plates, but that was mostly due to the large amount of food.

The price was reasonable for the food we got. The decor of the place is chaotic with crap all over the place....well, not real crap, but stuff...randomly places all over.

I'm not sure about the cleanlyness of the place but I didn't sick off the food, so that's a good sign. :)

Favorite Dish: The only one I've eaten..Mongolian Beef.

Ichiban Japanese Steak House: Great dinner and show

by soundsgoodtome Updated Apr 20, 2004

I just recently ate here for the first time, and I liked it much better than Kampai Tokyo japanese steakhouse. The food was different than other oriental restaurants I've been to. They used more seasoning and had more types of sauces to choose from. The best part about the Ichiban, however, was the show done by the chefs. This was also better than the other ones I've been to. The chef performed tricks such as spinning the spatula around a single finger, spinning an egg and then flipping it into the air repeatedly and finally on top of his hat. The most impressive part of the show was when the chef separated an onion into rings of different sizes, stacked them on top of each other in the shape of a cone, and then poured oil inside and lit it on fire so that it looked like a volcano exploding. When the fire went out, the onion cone smoked for about 30 more seconds just like a volcano does after it blows. It was really neat! The sign out front says they have the best chefs in town, and I believe they are right. I also recently just went to the other new japanese steakhouse called Shogun, which is located on Gunbarrel Road. The food here was also great, but the show, although good, was slightly less exciting. Also, the rice had a unique flavor that I didn't care for, so I had to use lots of soy sauce to make it taste good.

Nagoya: Great Sushi and Oriental Food

by soundsgoodtome Updated Apr 11, 2004

Nagoya is a tiny sushi bar with a large seleciton. There are over fifty Chinese and Japanese dishes to choose from, and about 20 different sushi rolls, all made as you order. The soup is also excellent! Great food, service, and atmosphere. There are only two oriental restaurants downtown (ThaiSmile 3 and Sekisui), both of which I havent been to yet. If you feel like making a short trip away from downtown for some great food, don't miss this place. The place is very small, casual, and relaxing, and best of all, it is never full. You never have to wait to be seated here, even on friday and saturday nights, and the food is ready fast.

Favorite Dish: I love to get the teriyaki beef with fried rice and hot and sour soup. Although I'm not into sushi myself, everyone i know that is says they have the best is town.

Q'doba Mexican Grill: Only Mexican Restaurant downtown

by soundsgoodtome Updated Mar 24, 2004

This is the only Mexican restaurant downtown, located on Market Street right across from Jack's Alley. The restaurant is set up like a subway where you tell them what you want and they add all the toppings and stuff as you go down the line. Your food is ready instantly then you pay and sit or take it out, very fast service. I ordered the three-cheese nachos with chicken which I thought was very good. My sister did not like her burrito very much besides the rice, and my mom thought her quesadilla was alright. The food is not very authentic or the best-tasting, but it is not bad either. If you are in the mood for mexican and don't care to venture into the suburbs where Amigos is located, Q'doba will do, especially for a quick lunch.

212 Market: Downtown Cuisine

by soundsgoodtome Updated Mar 7, 2004

212 Market is a very nice restaurant that has a bit more class than your average O'Charleys type place. It is located on the 200 block of Market Street, right beside Candyland, and is in view of the aquarium. The food my girlfriend and I had was delicious. 212 Market is a bit more expensive than the average restaurant, with entrees costing anywhere between $10 and $27. The salads and appetizers are average-priced. They also have a large wine list and a bar. I definitely recommend this place to anyone wishing to have a more upscale dining experience without paying a fortune for it. Their website has their entire menu with prices, which is very helpful in deciding if you want to eat here or not.

I recently returned here for a second time and found it just as good as the first. My mom and sister both tried the spinach ravioli, which was very good, but they both thought the vegetables that came with it lacked much taste. I again had the caesar salad with salmon, which is very good and is only $9.50. The bread is also excellent.

Favorite Dish: On the second trip here we had a coupon for a free desert, so we ordered the sampler, which comes with a piece of cheesecake, a piece of some sort of chocolate cake, and this yogurt-like dessert with a crusted top, which was good but very small. The chocolate cake is definitely the best, and it all comes with a raspberry syrup that is delicious. You should definitely try this one if you like chocolate and wish to have dessert here.

• Wine Tasting

Pickle Barrel: Good local bar/restaurant

by soundsgoodtome Written Feb 14, 2004

The Pickle Barrel is a nice, small restaurant and bar with a good selection of inexpensive food. They have a large variety of sandwiches, including make your own, burgers, and chicken. The quesadillas are very good, as are the nachos with chili, which are my favorites. It is located in the tiny corner of one of Chattanooga's triangle buildings, and occupies two floors, with seating on the second-floor balcony. I definitely recommend eating outside when the weather is suitable. There is an old-time feel to this place that is hard to describe without pictures. The wooden door and latches on the bathrooms might sum it up enough. This is a great place for a quick lunch or dinner with the family, but after 9 pm no one under 21 is allowed in because thats when it becomes more of a bar than a restaurant. I highly recommend this place.

Instant Answers: Chattanooga

Comments

Chattanooga Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Chattanooga restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Chattanooga sightseeing.