Choo Choo, Chattanooga

by butterflykizzez04
  • butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

Trains at the Chattanooga Choo Choo

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 7, 2014

From 1909 to 1970, all trains to points south passed through Chattanooga’s famous terminal, which was designed by a 24-year-old architectural student from New York. The terminal’s first plans were modified at the behest of the president of the Southern Railway System to emulate the National Park Bank of New York. Unable to compete with faster modes of travel, trains stopped running in 1970; but the terminal was saved from demolition in 1973 by a group of local investors. The1909 station, with its magnificent 85-foot free-standing dome, is thefocal point of this 24-acre historical property that features exceptional accommodations, spirited dining venues, family fun, and, of course, the finest in Southern hospitality.

• Museum Visits

• butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 3, 2014

Tony and I decided to stop here to check out this Beautiful Historic Building...and we are both so glad we did. Tony mentioned several times he wanted to come back here when his nephews and niece comes to visit during spring break in 2014...
    This hotel is gorgeous...now personally I think its nice...the hotel part that is..but I was here for ONE REASON..the Historical aspect of the building..I am in to the Architecture and the History of the building...
    I took tons of pictures!!!
    I went through this building and amazingly in AWE!!! I want to see more!!!!
    I want to go back..We walked through the rose garden and enjoyed the flowers and fountains..
    I would love to sleep on one of the train cars...maybe!!! Hum....maybe soon!!!!
    There is also a dining car for a pizza place but not open on Sundays...so No Pizza for Lisa today!!!
    I am definitely going back!!
    I loved the interior..
    I am going to share some pictures and I bought a magnet for my collection!!! for only $2
    I am going back so soon!!

Very cool main lobby in the old train depot, c. 1908. Beautiful historic building. The dome ceiling must be 60 feet high! Many old RR cars on the property, some available for lodging. Apparently three lodging buildings, and the outer buildings are just standard hotel fare. Bit of a musty smell in the hallway. We had a standard double room. Spacious and clean. Barking dog next door bothersome for the first hour or so.

I was a bit worried that our family of four would not be comfortable in this old train car in the middle of June in the middle of the steamy South. Is the AC going to work properly? Is the bathroom going to be cramped like those claustrophobic shower-over-toilets on the Amtrak? But as soon as I finished the easy check in at the main terminal, I felt the reprieve: I received the standard magnetic key card! So just how much did they update this train car?

Just walking our luggage to our room got us very giddy. The trains are still on the tracks, the platform is just like it was a hundred years ago. I could almost see the steam from the engines! We still have to step up high in order to reach those metal steps. And they still have those metal step stools with the train's name on it! Our suite is way bigger than it appears on the web! How often does that happen? The bathroom is roomier than most standard hotel bath, with a small nook for the toilet. And the room is long with the queen bed at one end, with plenty of space left for desk, trundle bed, flat screen TV, vanity and a small fridge. And the AC? It works perfectly! WiFi? It worked perfectly! There are 3 separate signals and you just have to choose the stronger signal depending on where you are on the grounds.

I also really really loved the gardens on the grounds. This is a hotel that knows the details. The gardens are meticulously groomed. I did not see one weed in the gardens. The boxwoods are trimmed to a right angle. It was great to have my morning coffee in the garden.

I really don't know why there are some of these negative reviews. Perhaps they stayed in the non-train part of the hotel and did not feel the need to see the trains? Our room was clean and the bathroom was clean. The staff was friendly and pleasant. The staff even set out extra towels knowing that we have four people in the room.

Not only is the ChooChoo on the free shuttle route to downtown, it is also only a few blocks from many restaurants. We loved our stay and I highly recommend the train suites. I know where we will stay the next time we are in Chattanooga!

• Architecture

• doug48's Profile Photo

chattanooga choo choo

by doug48 Written Sep 18, 2009

antique engine

the chattanooga choo choo is a hotel, museum, and entertainment complex located at the historic chattanooga train terminal. the name of the complex is based on the 1941 glenn miller song "chattanooga choo choo". the complex has a collection of antique engines and railroad cars and is home to the national model railroad association. for those interested in railroad history the "choo choo" is worth a stop when in chattanooga.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

by TravellerMel Written Aug 24, 2009

Chattanooga Choo Choo

"Pardon me boy..." Now, just TRY to get the song out of your head! My father has fond memories of playing on the Chattanooga Choo-Choo when he was a boy, as they would drive from Pensacola, FL to Dayton, OH each summer. So I took him back to Chattanooga to relive his childhood memory. My, how things have changed...

The Choo Choo is now a train station converted into a Holiday Inn hotel, restaurants, garden and shops. Although I think it might be nice to spend the night in one of the traincar rooms, overall, I was underwhelmed by the experience. The shops are rather "boutique-y", and I ended up just buying some postcards and a link for my Italian charm bracelet (it had a train on it!). The gardens are lovely, and you can walk up the steps to the engine car and have your photo taken, which is cool.

Overall, I think kids may like it, but adults not so much. If you are in the area anyway, I would say definitely stop and have a look-see. But I would not make a trip just for this...

• Trains

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

The Chattanooga Choo Choo

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Jun 29, 2005

The Chattanooga Choo Choo, on Track 29

The Chattanooga Choo Choo is the name of an actual train which ran from Cincinnati to Chattanooga, beginning in 1880, offering the first through passenger service to the South. This little steam engine was dubbed the Chattanooga Choo Choo by a newspaper reporter and later made famous by a 1941 Glenn Miller song, which became the music industry's first ever gold record. Alas, the last passenger train pulled out of the magnificant old Chattanooga Terminal Station on August 11, 1970. Today the Chattanooga Choo Choo, is a 24-acre vacation complex with restaurants, shops, gardens, a Model Railroad Museum, trolly rides and more. The entrance to the old Terminal Station, with its impressive free-standing 85-foot dome, is now the lobby of a Holiday Inn.

Every time I visit the Chattanooga Choo Choo, and I have done so dozens of times, I find myself remembering the wide-eyed excitement of coming here as a little boy. It was a bustling terminal then, with up to 68 trains arriving and departing daily. I came with my parents to pick up Grandmother Minor who often traveled by train from Decatur, Alabama to visit us. It was a noisy beehive of activity then, with hissing steam engines and clamoring crowds of people coming and going.

The Choo Choo is quieter now, but it can still be a lively place, and one that every visitor to Chattanooga should experience.

• Trains

• amybrooke's Profile Photo

Choo Choo

by amybrooke Written Oct 30, 2005

Pretty neat place to stay. It kinda gets boring after a couple days, but good for a relaxing weekend.

Instant Answers: Chattanooga

Comments

Hotels Near Choo Choo
3.5 out of 5 stars