The Market Street Bridge, officially named the John Ross Bridge after Cherokee Chief John Ross, spans the Tennessee River connecting downtown and the Northshore District. The bridge was built in 1917 and renovated from 2005 to 2007. The Market Street Bridge was the largest double-leaf steel bascule drawbridge in the world when it was constructed, and it remains the largest east of the Mississippi River. Today, the Market Street Bridge is the only drawbridge in the entire state of Tennessee.
In 2011, the Market Street Bridge was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
This historic drawbridge has a walkway on either side with spectacular views of both river banks. At the entrance from the downtown side are substantial bronze statues crafted by a local artist.