Covington Travel Guide

  • tipton county courthouse
    tipton county courthouse
    by doug48
  • fort pillow state park
    fort pillow state park
    by doug48
  • tipton county courthouse
    tipton county courthouse
    by doug48

Covington Things to Do

  • doug48's Profile Photo
    site of general n. b. forrest's headquarters 1 more image

    by doug48 Updated Aug 11, 2012

    on april 12 th 1864 general nathan bedford forrest attacked the union occupiers of fort pillow. at the time the fort was defended by major lionel f. booth who commanded the 6 th u.s. regiment colored heavy artillery and the 2 nd u.s. colored light artillery and major william bradford who commanded the 13 th tennessee cavalry. in the morning of april 12 th booth was killed and bradford assumed overall command of the fort. by 11:00 am the confederates had captured two rows of barracks at the southern end of the fort and used them as a firing point against the union garrison. at 3:30 pm general forrest sent a note to bradford demanding surrender but bradford refused. general forrest ordered a full assult on the fort and fired down upon the massed defenders. union troops ran down the hill toward the mississippi with the confederates in full persuit. the battle of fort pillow was a decisive confederate victory with 14 confederates killed compared to 297 union deaths. fort pillow is a designated u.s. national landmark.

    Related to:
    • National/State Park
    • Historical Travel

    Was this review helpful?

  • doug48's Profile Photo
    confederate trenches

    by doug48 Written Aug 11, 2012

    in may 1862 general p.g.t. beauregard ordered the garrison to abandon fort pillow and transfer to northern mississippi. the union occupied the fort in september 1862. the fort became a haven for area union supporters and runaway slaves. the union held the fort until april 1864.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • National/State Park

    Was this review helpful?

  • doug48's Profile Photo
    mississippi river from fort pillow

    by doug48 Updated Aug 8, 2012

    in the summer of 1861 fort pillow became the headquarters of the river defense fleet under the command of capt. james e. montgomery. in 1862 a "line of intervals" on the bluff overlooking the mississippi river was built. this was a system interdependent hill top fortifications with a series of works that aided the garrison in the defense of the river batteries. pictured is a view of the mississippi from the top of fort pillow. today the river batteries have been lost to erosion.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • National/State Park

    Was this review helpful?

Covington Hotels

Instant Answers: Covington

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

68 travelers online now

Comments

Covington Travel Guide
Map of Covington

View all Covington hotels