Fayetteville Travel Guide

Fayetteville City Hall
    Lincoln County Courthouse

Fayetteville Things to Do

• Fayetteville City Hall

Even though it was built a fair amount later, from what I understand, the Fayetteville City Hall has a similar architectural style to the courthouse.

• Women's Monument

Much more uncommon is this monument to the women who stayed behind and ran the farms and businesses in the south as the men fought the Civil War.

• Civil War Memorial

There is also a civil war memorial on the courthouse grounds. This memorial has the standing soldier motif which appears to be the most common type of civial war memorial.

• Veterans Memorial

There is a nice Veterans Memorial on the courthouse grounds honoring all those who have served and especially those who died in various wars and conflicts.

• Trail of Tears Route

Fayetteville was located on "Bell's Route" which was one of the routes used during the infamous "Trail of Tears" which was the forced removal of members of the Cherokee, Chickasaw, Choctaw, Creek and Seminole fribes from their homelands to reservations to the west. This plaque commemorates that event.

• Horse Mounts

These stones were moved from a business on Franklin Avenue to the Lincoln County Courthouse, and were used by early settlers to stand on to help them mount their horses.

• Bicentennial Monument

This impressive and pretty monument was constructed in 2009 to celebrate the bicentennial of Lincoln County which was formed in 1809.

• Historic District

Fayetteville has an interesting historic district with several buildings of historic and architectural interest including the Lincoln Theater.

• Fayetteville and Lincoln County

Fayetteville is located in Southern Tennessee, West of Chattanooga and North of Huntsville, Alabama. It has a population of over 7000 and is the county seat of Lincoln County. Lincoln County was formed in 1809. I think, the Lincoln County Courthouse has a simple elegance.

Fayetteville Hotels

• Days Inn Fayetteville

1651 Huntsville Highway, US 431 & US 231, Fayetteville, Tennessee, 37334, United States

Satisfaction: Poor

Good for: Solo

Fayetteville Restaurants

• by thyatira Updated Oct 4, 2002

If I can only take my guests to one place in Fayetteville to eat, it would be Rachel's Restaurant.
    This is a small and simple restaurant. It's nothing fancy to look at but what counts is what's inside. The down-home, friendly staff, low price (average price is $5 a head--kids are cheap or free, depending on age), and the feeling that you just stepped into a community gathering instead of a restaurant are all qualities I adore. Thursday nights they have a shrimp buffet for $8.99 so if you love shrimp you must try that out; however, all of their food is wonderful. I must say, it's the only food I've ever eaten that was so good it brought tears to my eyes the first time I ate there!

Favorite Dish: The menu here varies from day to day, and most people choose the wonderful buffet. However I personally am partial to their roast beef and gravy over mashed potatoes; I also love their sauerkraut with weenies, but that's just me. Anything they cook is always delicious. The catfish is wonderful as well; you must try that. As for desserts, their banana pudding is incredible, and be sure to try their sweet tea.

Fayetteville Nightlife

• by MamaDodah Written Dec 6, 2006

This place is a new Sports Bar to Fayetteville. My first visit there in November was an excellent experience! Although the establishment sits a bit off the main highway, it was well worth finding for sure. It sits on the left when heading northbound on Hwy 231 (considered Huntsville Highway)
    just accross from the Long John Silvers restaurant. There is a BBQ place that is no longer in business and KG's sits just behind the BBQ place.

I ordered the Wings, I love my wings.. the waitress suggested I try the "redneck sauce", I laughed at the name at first, but was extremly happy I listened to the suggestion. The wings were the best I've ever eaten, the redneck sauce was sweet but with a good kick of heat and spices. My husband ordered the cheeseburger (which was huge) and onion rings. He said it was delicious.

We had a couple of cold beers and shot a few games of pool after eating. I threw darts while my husband watched football on the big screen tv. Having something else to do after eating was a big plus for us. The staff was very friendly and made us feel at home while there. We spoke to the owner "Kathy" a bit while shooting pool, we mentioned we rode motorcycles in the area when the weather was nice. We were pleased to hear the pub was a biker friendly establishment. She stated that they would be having a bike nite soon and we plan on visiting again to meet other people who enjoy riding too.

We've been back several times on the weekends to eat and listen to the live bands and had a wonderful time. The other folks who were there were a fun crowd and we have made many new friends through our visits.

I would suggest this establishment to all who visit the area.

Dress Code: Very casual atmosphere.

• Music
    • Motorcycle

Fayetteville Transportation

• by thyatira Updated Oct 4, 2002

The best way would be by car. If you are travelling from a great distance, you may fly. The closest international airport is in Huntsville, Alabama, which is 30 miles south of Fayetteville. Fayetteville also has its own small airport, which, by the way, offers lessons and sightseeing as well.
    Drive around the town in your car, but be sure to get out and walk around the square and the scenic park, as you won't want to miss those!

Fayetteville Shopping

• by MamaDodah Written Dec 6, 2006

If you sew, upholster furniture or craft, Sir's is your place to shop! Very reasonable prices on all your fabrics. My Mother and I have shopped there for about 4 years and always found exactly what we were looking for. There are actually two seperate buildings which sit directly accross the street from each other. One is for upholstry and designer type fabrics and accross the street ...clothing and quilting fabrics, patterns, notions and trims etc. They are happy to supply samples of your fabric choices to match with your homes paint or rug colors etc before purchasing. I do alot of home decorating for myself and others so that's a big plus. Their prices are well below the prices in the fabric stores in Huntsville and their staff is very helpful in finding what you are looking for or suggesting fabrics for your specific needs. And the selection in both stores is huge.

What to buy: Designer fabrics, quilting and craft fabrics and notions

What to pay: Below the prices of Hancock and craft stores.

• Women's Travel

Fayetteville Warnings and Dangers

• by thyatira Written Oct 4, 2002

The only thing that really comes to mind in this area is the surrounding roads. Fayetteville is located in Elk Valley, but getting to it can be dangerous for those not used to travelling on mountain roads. There are very sharp curves in the hills, so be cautious and drive slow.

Fayetteville Favorites

• by thyatira Written Oct 4, 2002

Favorite thing: Take a walk around the square. It is the most charming there, as the old buildings, many 150 years or so old, are kept in excellent condition. Stop in to look at the barber shop, but don't try it out. I think every thing in it is orginal, including the barber! Just kidding, but seriously, there are a lot of antiques in this town, and many are on the square. Try lunch or a snack at the Mockingbird Deli and Ice Cream Parlor/Antique Store. It's a real treat! I would recommend their Cajun Roast Beef Sandwich and Chili, with Rasberry Tea and Pecan Pie. Delicious! And the atmosphere makes you feel like you stepped into yesteryear. Don't forget to peek in their basement while you're there! Lunch is served from 11-3, and after that only snacks until closing time at 5. Catch a movie at the old Lincoln Theatre, which was coverted into a 2 screen Theatre after Desegregation. In the old days, the blacks had to use a seperate back entrance and sit in the loft! Nowadays the loft serves as the second movie room, albeit smaller than the one originally designated for whites. I am told all of the buildings on the square were once equipped likewise for the purpose of segregation. I highly recommend visiting Fayetteville during the Host Of Christmas Past, a festival put on by the town. When we went it was still warm out, though I can't remember the exact date. You can contact the Chamber of Commerce for details. Also, there is an old general store on the edge of town that sells Amish furniture and canned goods--what an awesome selection of jams, jellies, sorghum molasses, and honey! Stock up on that for the holidays. The proprietor of the store is a sweet elderly lady who feels like your dear old great aunt. Take a stroll on a beautiful day in the town's scenic park--the attention given to details and harmony bring such a sweet and joyous peace in which to meditate. When it is in season, they have a public farmers' market in town as well. And I am told that if you are in the market for fabric (which I am not, so I wouldn't know personally) Fayetteville hosts a great discount fabric warehouse right off the square.

Fondest memory: My fondest memory of Fayetteville will always be at the Host of Christmas Past Festival. As I stepped out onto the sidewalk with my children to take a stroll around the square, I was observing a lady in 19th century costume pushing an antique baby buggy with a real baby (costumed for the period) inside. I noticed an old man walking towards us who looked like he had stepped out of the pages of a Charles Dickens classic, and he was looking our way, so I said, 'Hello!' as he approached. He glared down his rimmed glasses at us, snorted and huffed, 'Bahh!' as he stomped past. It was Ebenezer Scrooge! I laughed for weeks. A live orchestra was playing nonstop Christmas carols in the open pavilion on the square. Their rendition of 'What Child is This' gave me goosebumps, and made me want to shout and leap for joy; while 'Jingle Bells' brought tears to my eyes with its sheer jubilance. Christmas spirit abounded everywhere, from the costumed Confederate soldiers and their ladies to the halls of 'Nutcracker Fantasy' (at $1 a head), while horse and buggy rides and mini-'Fire Engine' rides were given for the kiddies. Christmas goodies were for sale here and there, and a 'petting zoo' (sponsored by the local humane society) was available for the children as well. My 'kids' got in a pen with goats and had a great time (how fitting, I thought!) The people, however, are the best part of Fayetteville. Everywhere I turn I see the people here with the kind of values and spirit of community that I remember as a child, though even then it was fleeting. In that respect, this is a town that time forgot--forgotten that we live in a period of indifference and cruelty, with hatred everywhere you turn. In this town love and peace abide, and the thought of leaving brings tears to my eyes and a lump to my throat, though I am not native to this area at all and have no kin here. What a great place to live, to raise your kids, and to retire! Blessed are they indeed, who reside here.

Instant Answers: Fayetteville

Comments

Fayetteville Travel Guide
Map of Fayetteville