Gatlinburg Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Gatlinburg

• vhasouth's Profile Photo

LaCarreta: Authentic Mexican

by vhasouth Written Dec 1, 2004

La Carreta is a small establishment that gives you more than your money's worth. We have eaten there on several different trips to Gatlinburg and always leave there feeling stuffed.

The only draw back is the staff is fluent in spanish and kinda limps through english. Asking questions about dishes unless you are fluent in spanish may be difficult. The menu is fairly accurate with descriptions. You should have a good idea of the dish when you order it.

Favorite Dish: This last visit we had a grilled chicken with mushrooms covered in Monterrey Jack cheese. I could not eat it all. The kids had the nachos supreme. They were also stuffed. The tab for 4 dinners and 2 drinks came to around $35.

• vhasouth's Profile Photo

The Best Italian Pizza: Pizza

by vhasouth Written Aug 2, 2004

This is what appears to be a little hole in the wall. Short of eating pizza in Chicago, an extremely pleasant experience. When they say large pizza...they mean LARGE. Everything is fresh. Have eaten there on numerous trips. The kids always beg to go there.

• Hiking and Walking

• victorialynn618's Profile Photo

Old Mill Restaurant: The Most Amazing Restaurant Ever!

by victorialynn618 Updated Aug 31, 2008

Looking through the restaurant tips on Gatlinburg, I was so upset that no one has reviewed this place! I had to stop what I was doing and write a review.

Your trip to Gatlinburg is not complete without visiting this restaurant at least once! The Old Mill Restaraunt is a renovated Mill where they now serve food (including food made from the very fresh cornmeal that they make right in the still functioning mill. This place is the real deal as far as Southern food is concerned. When we ate there, we got a table next to the windows overlooking the pond in the front. We spent our dinner (and afterward) watching the ducks in the pond swim around. It was a really amazing view.

If the great atmosphere and view aren't enough, the food is amazing, and cheap! For about $10 (during lunch) I got rolls, green beans, corn, chicken pot pie and mashed potatoes. I was so full but ate it all anyway because it was so good !!(That's a bad habit I know, but it really is that good!)

If ~that's~ not enough, they also have free tours of the Mill. ( We were really bummed when we found out that they only do them earlier in the week) I could not find any information on exactly when they give the tours.

They also have an awesome Old Mill General Store next door to the restaraunt. Here they sell cornmeal , syrups, and all kinds of things made at the mill to take home and cook with. When we were there we bought some old fashioned soda bottles that were bottled in the area to take home as souveniers.

This is a great place to go for a few unique souveniers, a nice tour of a relatively famous mill, (apparantly the most photographed mill in the country) a great atmosphere, and an amazing meal!

• cardwatcher's Profile Photo

Pancake Pantry: Pancake heaven

by cardwatcher Written Apr 9, 2008

If you visit Gatlinburg you should not leave without breakfast at the Pancake Pantry. It is located on the main drag in downtown Gatlinburg right at the entrance to the "The Village". The candy shop is part of the same building. It is a chalet type building with large windows and a lot of wood. Tables are fairly close together but once you taste the pancakes you aren't thinking about anything else. Things are always clean and the wait staff is ALWAYS friendly. Most have worked there for 10 yrs or more. They are only open for breakfast and lunch, but breakfast is there specialty. You can get crapes, waffles and those wonderful pancakes. They also have the normal eggs and bacon type stuff. Their lunch menu is fun as well. They offer sandwiches of all sorts and a great little dish of cucmbers in a wonderful sauce. They aren't pickled, they have a white sort of sourcreamy sauce with onions. Boy they are fabulous!

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is the 'silver dollar pancakes with blueberries and whipped cream'. My daughter really likes to order "bears in the snow'. This is 2 bear shaped pancakes with M&M eyes and powdered sugar sprinkled on top. I can almost guarentee you will like whatever you try.
    The only negative is that they do not accept credit cards. There is an ATM located inside for those who forget.
    Don't get confused and go to the Pancake Cottage - not even near the same.

• cardwatcher's Profile Photo

The Peddler: Steaks on the stream

by cardwatcher Written Apr 9, 2008

This is a great little steakhouse. It is located on the back road in Gatlinburg right on the stream. There are tables all along the rear windows overlooking the creek. There are several different rooms all with the same sort of decor. Once you are seated a waitor visits to take your drink order and will provide you with a menu if you are not interested in a steak. If you are the peddler will wheel his cart to your table with 2 or 3 different types of beef. He will then cut your steak to order. 8, 10 or 12 oz. They also have a great salad bar with a lot of things you do not normally find on a salad bar.

Favorite Dish: My favorite is the ribeye with sauteed mushrooms. If you are a beer drinker they offer several very good beers as well.
    There is almost always a wait for this restaurant so make reservations or at least call ahead.
    open daily at 5pm except on Saturday at 4:30

Applewood Farmhouse Restaurant: Authentic Southern Mountain Cooking

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Jun 20, 2004

Applewood Farmhouse Restaurant, Gatlinburg

On a trip to Gatlinburg in the early spring of 2004, I was surprised to learn that the Burning Bush Restaurant, one of our favorites, was no more. The Burning Bush had been a Gatlinburg landmark since 1975, but as of March 1, it has been changed into Applewood Farmhouse Restaurant. As much as we hated to see the Burning Bush go, we are just as pleased that the Applewood Farmhouse Restaurant, a new Sevierville based franchise, has come to Gatlinburg. The Applewood has also long been one of our favorites, and we have raved about their original Sevierville restaurant in our tips for that neighboring town of Gatlinburg.

One of the things we like most about this Gatlinburg location is that the dining room has large windows which are literally only inches from the boundary to the Great Smokies. Enjoying a meal here can be a visual as well as a gastronomic delight.

Favorite Dish: The Applewood Farmhouse Restaurant is famous for its true southern style mountain cooking. For me, there's none better in the world. Their meals are served in bowls and platters, family style, and their fried chicken is some of the best to be found anywhere.Also, we wouldn't even think of coming here without indulging in a couple of their melt-in-your-mouth apple fritters.

• RVRoller's Profile Photo

The Apple Barn: Apple Fritters, Apple Butter, Apple Cider!

by RVRoller Written May 27, 2004

This is a whole complex of eateries and shops. There is even a wine shop. The atmosphere is laid back, relaxed, and there is even a porch you can sit on. I recommend sitting in a rocking chair on the porch after your meal. It gives your food time to digest as you visit with others visiting the site.

The Apple Barn has its own orchard and processing plant that you can visit. Oh, and don't forget to pick up a gallon of their delicious Apple Cider while you are there!

Favorite Dish: The apple fritters the you dip in the warm apple butter brought to you.

• Darkeyedgirl's Profile Photo

The Brass Lantern: On the Gatlinburg Strip; nice waiter & great food

by Darkeyedgirl Written Apr 12, 2006

mmm... foooood

We wandered in here for dinner on our first night in town. We got seated right away, our waiter was REALLY friendly and accomodating, and the food was awesome! I wanted a martini, and he really worked to get me a perfect Cosmo.

They had a nifty mix of lasagne, steaks, fishes, and veggies. Side items were plentiful, too. We didn't do dessert here (went next door to Aunt Mahalia's instead!) but dang the dessert menu looked SPLENDID.

The kids menu was nice, the atmosphere of the restaurant was casual yet upscale (for Gatlinburg). The location is perfect; not too far down on the Strip, and you can walk off that nice big dinner afterwards on your way back to your hotel.

Price was good, too.

Favorite Dish: "New" Southwestern Fried Catfish: Catfish filet dusted in cornmeal and lightly deep fried. Served over spicy Cole slaw and topped with chipotle honey sauce.

That was what I got! The spicy Cole Slaw was SPICY & that honey sauce is made on-premises, and oh-so good. I'll never view a catfish the same way again.

The Cosmo was pretty tasty, too. =-)

Kid's Menu:
    10 YEARS AND UNDER INCLUDES...
    Choice of Vegetable and any one entree below...
    Spaghetti
    Hamburger
    Hot Dog
    Grilled Cheese
    Chicken Strips
    Cheeseburger
    Add a bowl of our tasty Ice Cream (Vanilla or Chocolate).

---- so the kids won't be picky; they have a nice selection and it's plentiful for hungry little bellies. Or hungry big bellies.

I think my fiance got the ribs?

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Calhouns of Gatlinburg: "Best Ribs in America"

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Jul 6, 2004

Calhouns of Gatlinburg

Calhouns of Gatlinburg is one of seven Calhouns restaurants in the area, headquartered in Knoxville, TN. We enjoy the ambiance of this restaurant with a big mill wheel at the entrance and large tree shaded windows in the dining room looking out over the Parkway. Both the food and service are consistently very good.

Favorite Dish: Calhouns is famous for their barbecue ribs. In 1984, at a national cook-off in Cleveland, Ohio, Calhoun's ribs were proclaimed the "Best Ribs in America." However, on our most recent visit to Calhouns we had just come off a trail in the Smokies that led beside a rushing, cold, clear trout stream, and we celebrated the end of our seven mile hike by ordering the fresh rainbow trout. It was exceptionally good, with creamy cole slaw and a loaded baked potatoe. I was so dehydrated from our hike that I washed it down with four huge glasses of freshly brewed iced tea - satisfying and refreshing.

The Park Grill: Dine in a Grand Old Park Lodge Type Setting

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated Feb 28, 2008

The Park Grill

When we first entered The Park Grill I had visions of being at Yellowstone Lodge in Wyoming. This place is much smaller, but still has the same look, with massive wooden log beams forming a rustic cathedral. A beautiful mural, in three parts - separated by the beams - depicts historic Gatlinburg and the Great Smoky Mountains. For that "National Park" feel you will definitely want to enjoy dinner one evening at The Park Grill. The restaurant is open daily for dinner only, beginning at 5 p.m.

Favorite Dish: We enjoyed a Smoky Mountain specialty: "Abram's Creek Rainbow Trout," pan fried with lemon butter caper sauce - grilled over old hickory charcoal - served with lightly seasoned rice.

• RVRoller's Profile Photo

The Dixie Stampede: Horses In The Dining Room?

by RVRoller Updated May 27, 2004

The Henderson's at The Dixie Stampede

If you want the experience of a lifetime then it's "The Dixie Stampede" for you! Owned and operated by Dolly Parton this family oriented restaurant is a hoot. Live entertainment is provided in the bar (non-alcoholic) before dinner.

Dinner is eaten in the stands of a rodeo arena. No you don't sit on bleachers...a table is in front of you. While you watch the show, which is spectacular, you are served a whole cornish hen along with other goodies. And Guess What? You eat everything with your fingers! Let me tell you what...the food is so good you're glad the show is loud so no one can hear you smacking your lips or sucking your fingers clean.

Favorite Dish: The only one they serve.
    Cornish Hen
    Corn on the Cob
    Biscuit
    Vegetable Soup
    Apple Turnover
    Potatoes

I think that is it...but isn't that enough?

Oh and a drink.

• Darkeyedgirl's Profile Photo

Pancake Pantry: Crepes & Pancakes you could die for

by Darkeyedgirl Written Aug 15, 2005

dang it I drooled again

The Pancake Pantry is prolly one of the oldest places in Gatlinburg... it's within walking distance of 'most' hotels, or you can park nearby. The food is so awesome, you can die afterwards with a big freaking smile on your face. The waitresses, all wonderful with that country twang and Southern hospitality. Coffee RULES there, too! It's a tiny place, but the line moves VERY quickly.

Favorite Dish: uh... I start to drool when I think about... the peach crepes (or as I say, "Creeps"). mmm... peaches... see I'm drooling all over my keyboard now. The pancakes are incredible but their crepes... droooollll.... they have blueberry, raspberry, strawberry, cream cheese, chocolate chip, peach... just about whatever combo you want inbetween, served with whatever you want (eggies, sausage, bacon... coffee... etc.)... and the crepes are the size of your FACE. What's your favorite fruit?

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Smoky Mountain Brewery: Appalachian Pale Ale

by TravellerMel Written Nov 30, 2008

Very nice restaurant. Beautiful view of the mountains and strip from the upper floor. I had the Ole Smoky burger, which was really good and juicy. During happy hour, drinks are half-price. I'm not a beer drinker, but I ordered the Appalachian Pale Ale, which I really enjoyed. Friendly and fun, I'd definitely return to this restaurant.

Favorite Dish: The Ole Smoky burger was very tasty - large and grilled just the way I like it.

• Beer Tasting

• Applewood Restaurant in Gatlinburg: A Great Dining Experience!

by Sweetshrub Written Oct 23, 2005

Your meal at the Applewood begins with a small glass of Apple Julip, a refreshing, non-alcoholic mixture of fruit juices, and a basket of apple fritters with apple butter. The meal just gets better from that great beginning. The wait staff is kind and friendly and want you to be pleased with your dining experience. There is plenty of variety to chose from in the menu. I arrived at about 5:30 p.m. and was seated immediately but when I left there was a large group of people waiting to be seated. It would be worth the wait in my opinion. By the way, there are some parking spaces available at the restaurant. If you get there early, you won't have to pay to park in a lot and walk.

Favorite Dish: As I entered the restaurant, I asked a couple coming out if the food was good. They said they had eaten there three times and each time was excellent. The man opened his "to go" box to show me a pretty slab of pork loin which he recommended. Once inside, I ordered the pork and I was not disappointed. The serving was three nice slices, grilled over apple wood but it tasted like it had been marinated in cider. Whatever they did to it - it was great. My friend had the country fried steak with gravy. I had a bite and it was the best I had eaten. crispy but not greasy. Two side dishes came with our entree. The turnip greens are tender and perfectly seasoned. There is a good selection of vegetables to chose from. The portions are large and you won't go away hungry. I didn't make it to dessert. This was the best meal I had in Gatlinburg but not the most expensive.

• Seniors
    • Hiking and Walking

• The Cherokee Grill: Gatlinburg's Best Steakhouse

by KateeeMarie Written Apr 6, 2007

My family has vacationed in Gatlinburg every summer I can remember, and we first discovered the Cherokee Grill 3 or 4 years ago. Inside, the restaurant is very large and feels like a mountain lodge, complete with several fireplaces. There is a bar as well. The waitstaff is very friendly and efficient. Also, this might be the most random piece of information ever, but the restrooms are fantastic - the soap smells great. Plan on going here for dinner, as it opens daily around 3 or 4.

Favorite Dish: We start off our meal with the delicious Spinach, Cheese & Artichoke Dip. It is served with tortilla chips and is a good sized portion for an appetizer. My family also likes their House Salad. Topped with bacon, smoked cheddar, croutons, and tomato, it is fantastic with the blue cheese dressing. As far as main courses go, they have a great selection of steaks, but I haven't tried any of them - I'm not a red meat person. The Crab Cake Sandwich is awesome. The sandwiches can be served with coleslaw (my brother's pick), BBQ potato chips, or my favorite, the french fries. They are just crispy enough and I love the seasoning. The B&W Chili - black and white beans with chicken - is another one of my favorites. I would also recommend the Fresh Herb Crusted Trout and the Jumbo Lump Crab Cakes. As desserts go, there are only a few choices, but they are all delectable. They serve a great cheesecake with seasonal varieties, but my real favorite is the Chocolate Belgian Waffle. Pretty self-explanatory, it is a giant chocolate Belgian waffle, with a scoop each of chocolate and vanilla ice cream and drizzled with fudge. My family used to split one, four ways, but now we have to order two of them! It's a fantastic way to end a meal at the Cherokee Grill, my favorite restaurant in the Smokies.

Instant Answers: Gatlinburg

Comments

Gatlinburg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Gatlinburg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gatlinburg sightseeing.