Gatlinburg Warnings and Dangers

by jcolanto

Most Recent Warnings and Dangers in Gatlinburg

• Warning!! Gatlinburg!! They allow Hillbillys

by mustluvbears Updated Nov 19, 2013

Do not rent a house in Gatlinburg on ski mtn during the winter months!!! These homes are in the city limits and they allow Hillbillles to shoot the bears during BEAR Season from Oct-JAN! I am not kidding! I am a homeowner there and would love to rent my home, but due to the continued killing and shooting and tracking of these majestic bears, I will no longer put my guests or family at risk! I/We have asked repeatedly that the city do something!! I personally have contacted PETA and the Human Society of the USA and they can do nothing! This city is protected by the good ole boys. There are websites that offer hunting the Big Bear in Gatlinburg for BIG BUCKS! We are bondered by park on all sides, except the city. The city allows this to happen....come on!

Homeowners have reported bullet holes in their homes from missed shots.

I have personally called and reported dogs with radio collars in my yard, which is in the CITY LIMITS, that have treed bears, all to be told that the hunters have a right to come on MY property and shoot what the dogs have treed, three feet from my home! Come on, what the hell!

This has got to stop!

I love the city and the beauty that surrounds it, but this sickening, to have to watch this and not be able to do anything!

I would so love for 48 hours or 20/20 to come and bust their ASS!! The only other way is to go for their money and seriously if you rent a home here on ski mountain and stay during these times, be prepared to hit the ground if you hear gun shoots!

• Cabins of Gatlinburg; Lovers' Retreat

by jasbury55 Written Apr 10, 2013

BUYER BEWARE!!!
    The contract is all in favor of the rentor and not you the rentee!
    I only read it after I put it on my credit card.
    Read this and be forewarned.
    We rented the Lovers’ retreat on Whaley road, with no view at all.
    The fees and taxes are almost as much as the rent!!!!
    The contract says check in time is at 4:30 but they cannot guarantee that time. We got there early around 3:00 to check things out and see the town. We looked in through the window and saw an unmade bed. Went to town and came back around 4:30, looked through the window and the bed was still unmade. I called again, the person I talked to gave the same story that is written and said they were having other emergency problems with other units and they would be there as soon as they could. I asked if there was another unit we could get instead, the answer was ‘No!” it was spring break and everything was rented. I asked when I could expect it to be cleaned. The answer was I can’t give you a time. I was told we could go in and put some stuff in the refrigerator if we needed to, but we didn’t do that as we were afraid the cleaning person would dispose of the food when they came to clean, see contract. I got the key and went inside did a video. We hung around until about 4:45 then drove around some more and came back around 5:00 and no one was at the house. We left and went to town. I called after we ate, the person I talked to on the phone said, ‘Oh you must have just missed them, they had the place ready just after 5:00.’ I said there was no way the place was ready then, there were sheets and towels to wash. (That alone would have taken about an hour.) We came back to the house a little after 8:00. The bed was made and the towels were hung nicely but one wash rag smelled of soap as if it had been used and not washed. A bath mat at the Jacuzzi was wet and hanging on the side. I turned down the covers and checked. There were stains (from what I dare to say) and black hair on the sheets. I took a video also. We took the sheets off and washed and dried them before we used them that night. Boy was I mad. I saw how the person was who answered the phone before so it was no use to even try to call and report stuff. So we just grinned and bore it. The stove had something spilled under the biggest burner. We didn’t use the stove. I bleached and Lysol’ed the Jacuzzi before we used it (there was a scum ring around it) and cleaned it just before we left. I’m not sure why we paid $57 for a cleaning fee is all they do is make the bed and hang the towels and rags up. There was a French fry on the kitchen floor so I’m not sure the floor had been swept or mopped. The trash was taken out. The hot tub only had ½ the jets working and the steps going up to it are almost rotten. There were cigarette butts and beer bottle caps all around the hot tub and it is situated barely in a gazebo away from the hours NOT on a porch as the picture depicts. Neighbor’s dog barked all night. We washed the sheets, pillow cases and towels and rags we used, Turned on the dish washer and washed all the plates, glasses and utensils in the dish washer that we used before we left then took a final video then left around 10:30. I will be wary of any place I rent and am not able to talk to a person face to face and not have any options if the place I stay does not meet normal standards. If we go again more than likely I will rent a nice hotel room down town.

• Business Travel

• Cabins of Gatlinburg; Lovers' Retreat

by jasbury55 Written Apr 10, 2013

BUYER BEWARE!!!
    The contract is all in favor of the rentor and not you the rentee!
    I only read it after I put it on my credit card.
    Read this and be forewarned.
    We rented the Lovers’ retreat on Whaley road, with no view at all.
    The fees and taxes are almost as much as the rent!!!!
    My wife of 33 years & I visited Gatlinburg in April 2013

• BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!! DON't Leave Electronics in CABIN

by teach4lives Written Jun 23, 2012

I stayed at Absolute Bearadise in Severville and was robbed. The office did not know how to handle the situation. They sent a maintenance guy who was very concerned and helpful. He assured me the owner would probably take good care of me. Well this is not true!! I had two laptops stolen over $2000.00 and he offered to creidt me two days of my stay. Well I left two days early and had to rent a hotel for 95.00 dollars that night. I have been emailing the owner and company but, they refuse to even answer my concerns. I am a reasonable person and I know this incident is out of their control however, I have now done research and found out that these cabins get burglarized all the time. So if they are aware of that fact they should have told me not to leave my laptops in the cabin while I am out. The police even told me these incidents occur often and the drug problem is big along with thefts. I am not rich and saved up all year for a 5 day vacation only to have to return early and lose thousands of dollars. I will never return to this area again. Once they have your money they could do not care about your safety or valuables. DO NOT RENT through those rental companies. SUMMIT RENTAL Cabins needs to let people know not to leave VALuables in their cabin.

• Singles
    • Seniors

• FAUXDOLL's Profile Photo

AVOID THE HARD ROCK CAFE

by FAUXDOLL Updated Oct 22, 2010

The Hard Rock Cafe has the worst food in town. I've posted a picture of the slop they prepared...its supposedly a to go salad but it looks like a tiny side salad mess in a large to go container. They wanted $12 for this handful of watery junk!! The manager thought there was nothing wrong with it and basically insulted me for wanting my moneys worth. We also spoke to a local who said that everyone in town knows that Hard Rock has the worst food!! Don't let the big name fool you....the food was blah for what you pay for. Just avoid them and go next door to CORKY'S!! Corky's had great BBQ and many other wonderful choices that are more reasonably priced. Corky's is one or two doors down from Hard Rock...go there!

• Beware of cabins of Gatlinburg water shut off

by roman2409 Updated Jun 23, 2010

We stayed this past thur,fri,sat at topsy bear cabin . Rented to us by cabins of gatlinburg . We did love the cabin but had some issues with things . First we called after check in to see why the tvs did not work and was told they only supply 2 boxes for service on the tv even though we had boxes on the other tvs . The masterbed had no service to the tv . The game room had a tv with no service . Was advertised as satellite tv . The masterbath tub the drain stop would not work . The bottom door that leads to the deck would not open . And this was reported and i was told they would get to it . That never happened . The worst thing was we had a gentleman that could not walk alot that stayed at the cabin on the friday all day to relax while we went to shop . We came back around 10pm to discover that he had been there all day with the water shut off because the water bill was not payed and the city shut it off for non payment . I did call the maintenance dept and they turned it back on . I was told by the guy that turned it on that this happens all the time on this cabin . I asked to be called by the management about the problem and no call has been returned at all ,No apologia no explanation . We got an email that said no refunds per contract Thanks . So in other words when you rent from us no guarantee on water or any tv or taking a bath per contract ......lol We had 5 couples that stay in Tennessee at least twice a year that will not rent from the cabins of gatlinburg again . Once they get your money you are on your own per contract . Please pay the extra to make sure you have water and do not have to be hassled with gettiing someone to turn your water back on . Stay somewhere else that you do get service when needed from management not a cowardly email

• BEWARE-Cabinsofgatlinburg.com

by nspivey Written Apr 8, 2010

We spent this past weekend in "The Great Escape" and I will say that the cabin was beautiful but however I was not very happy with several different issues.

Both toilets were broken and the tank lids had to be removed to flush. The bath tubs needed to be cleaned and were in serious need of drano. They would fill with water while you were taking a shower. The cable in the living room would not work and the dishes in the cabinets were not even clean.

The upstairs balcony was littered with animal poop and it had been there so long it was turning white.

The hot tub was absolutly discusting with stuff growing on the filter and slime setting up on the walls and floor. There was no chlorine in the floater and you could even smell the water when you removed the cover.

We love the mountians and have made several trips over the years and I have never had an experiance like this. I have to say I was very disappointed with this stay.

• Casino and Gambling

• CABINSOFGATLINBURG - BEWARE!

by donnabmoss Written Jan 20, 2010

American Realty & Cabin Rentals
    PO Box 1525
    Gatlinburg, TN 37738
    USA

1-800-924-8223

WWW.CABINSOFGATLINBURG.COM

We recently spent a 3 day weekend with my entire family at one of the cabins advertised on this website. The cabin was absolutely gorgeous. However, as they stated in the paperwork they send you - PLEASE PAY ATTENTION - you want to bring bottled water! And lots of it - you will not even want to feed your dog the water that comes out of the pipes in this cabin. It was so discolored that all of the toilets were completely stained in less than 12 hours of our arrival. I would not have bathed my dog in this water - much less my own skin. We were supposed to be in a luxury cabin - not camping in the woods with no usable water supply. We spoke with the people at the 1-800 # about our concerns with the water and they said to let the water run - it would eventually clear up - which did not happen - and they also told us that they would not feed their dog the water - they give their dog bottled water. The cell phone service is almost non-existent - so consequently we were disconnected with the office – however, they did not try to call us back at all. Upon our arrival - there were dead bugs on the floors and some sort of poop on the back deck (no stairs - so it had to have been left there) which I ended up cleaning up myself before my family arrived. It is really a shame for the actual owner of this cabin - because this is a beautiful cabin - and it is not being taken very good care of. The cabin we stayed in had 3 Jacuzzi bathtubs - one in each bedroom - none of which we could use because the water was so nasty. Please just know when they tell you in the paperwork that the water can be brown - BELIEVE THEM - it is not just cloudy - it is disgusting! And the non-concern of the office was inexcusable.

• Luxury Travel

• Don't stay at a Family Inns of America hotel

by TravelBug233 Written Jun 26, 2009

The hotel should be condemned. The rooms are in terrible shape. The walls have water damage with mold and mildew. The carpet is stained, worn, and wet in spots. The place smells awful. The place is totally gross. Management tries to get you to pay for your entire stay when you register and their policy is "they don't do refunds". Stay away and you'll be much happier.

• Business Travel

• VICTORIAN GARDENS WEDDING CHAPEL WAS AWEFUL!

by dannie8037 Written Apr 20, 2009

It was a total nightmare. I spent 10,000 dollars on my wedding there and it was a complete mistake. First they asked me how many guest i was having i said i dont know and they told me to tell them the most it would be and just to tell them the final count 2 weeks before. when i did they refused to return my 1100 dollars when the count went down. Then they tried to change my rehearsal date 4 days before the wedding because the day of my rehearsal was suppose to be theyre day off but i had scheduled this a year in advance. The wedding planner they gave me was rude to me THE ENTIRE TIME, even on my wedding day. When they gave the men the tuxedos, none of them fit. On my rehersal they wouldnt let us practice with the music. They wouldnt let me be at the chapel early to get ready in the dressing room so i dont even know why they advertise that. It was sprinkling outside so even though i paid for the releasing of the doves and my smoky mountain photo shoot, they wouldnt let us do them. ugh!!! never get married here!! they were so aweful im still leaving a bunch of stuff out but just trust me. They RUINED my wedding!!!!!!!!!

• Photography

• Cabins of Gatlinburg/American Realty & Cabin Renta

by sdbullard Written Apr 9, 2008

DO NOT RENT FROM THESE PEOPLE!!! When my stepmother arrived at the cabin, the lockbox was either broken or the code they gave was wrong. The side door was open because the lock was broken. The VCR was missing. There is no after hours number, so they had to call, leave a message, and wait for a return call. American Realty & Cabin Rentals didn't have another clean cabin for that night. In an attempt to be accomodating, my stepmother agreed to stay in the cabin and move the sofa in front of the broken door. After eating, they discovered that the beds and dishes were dirty. They called back the person they'd spoken with earlier, left a voicemail, and received no response. They spent that night in a motel and were so disturbed from their dealings with Julie Owens that they decided to head home the next day rather than stay in a different cabin operated by these people. We are now disputing the charges because, despite having breached the contract by not providing a habitable cabin, Julie Owens at American Realty and Cabins is insisting on charging them for the second night and only refunding the first night if they provide a copy of the hotel receipt. She seemed completely unconcerned by the thought of two older women staying alone in a cabin in the woods without a lock. She acted as if she were doing us a favor by offering to refund the first night. She got very hostile and kept telling me to read the contract. I did read the contract, but I understand the law and things like the benefit of the bargain and the uselessness of boiler plate language. Don't deal with these rude people who do not provide the service for which you are paying and will treat you poorly when you complain about it. If they've already treated you poorly, complain online, complain to the Better Business Bureau, complain to the TN Real Estate Commission who gave Julie Owens her license, and ask your credit card company to dispute the charges.

• Women's Travel
    • Seniors

• IndianaJim's Profile Photo

Rude Staff Terrace on the Water

by IndianaJim Written Feb 13, 2008

Some say the staff at the Terrace on the Water are more dangerous than a black bear or a drunk driving a 4 x 4 pickup truck going 80+ mph on the "main drag" in Gatlinburg. He is to be avoided by all means.

• Narrow streets

by Snovak Written Apr 3, 2007

The streets in Gatlinburg are very narrow and packed with cars in all lanes. Today an RV was going down the main strip and the stowed awning on the side of the rv hit a utility pole and was tore off and almost hit me and this other guy. If you have a big vehicle ride the inside lane, and be sure to keep your kids away from the edge of the sidewalk. If this rv awning would have landed on a small child it would have killed them.

• Bring your photo ID

by jcolanto Updated Dec 28, 2006

If you are going to drink In Gatlinburg make sure you bring you photo ID, no matter how old you look. At a certain time at night the staff in the restaurants come around asking for everyones ID and if you do not have it the waitress grabs your drink right out of your hands. This happened in Crawdaddy's to my 40 year old niece. I think the waitress could have handled the situatuon a bit better. All they had to do is explain to us that there was some kind of rule that at a certain time at night all needed ID and if she asked nice my niece would have gone back to the car to get her ID. Boy did that waitess get the shaft no tip. Big table and we would have tipped her big time. Oh well her loss. Other than that the place was nice and there are great 1.00 beers at Hoggs and Honey's. If you want to rent a beautiful cabin close to everyting go to Starr Crest Resorts. We stayed in a beautiful cabin that slept 11. We also took a hike up to Laurel Falls that was a lot of fun. The holiday decorations around town were beautiful. One night we ate at Alabama Restaurant. It was like a Hard Rock Cafe atmosphere and the service & fod was excellent. Thanks to our great waiter Bobby, he got a great tip from us. We also ate at No Way Jose's if you like mexican food it was excellent! Our cute little Chilliean waitress was very good. We went to DollyWood! It was okay the wooden roller coaster was very good, but stay away from the train, Long wait and nothing much to see especially at night.

• Beer Tasting
    • Hiking and Walking

• troubledtouron's Profile Photo

Be smart folks......

by troubledtouron Written Apr 8, 2006

Ive seen hundreds of travlers step on to the crowed streets of G'burg without even a look for cars. Walkers do have right of way ON cross walks, but some drivers are not watching at all.And if you JAYWALK and get smacked, the city cites you, not the driver. Just watch yourself and family. Tshrits arent worth your health.

Instant Answers: Gatlinburg

Comments

Gatlinburg Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Gatlinburg warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gatlinburg sightseeing.