Gatlinburg Warnings and Dangers

by jcolanto

Best Rated Warnings and Dangers in Gatlinburg

• American cabins and or Cabins of gatlinburg.filthy

by Ronbowtie Written Jan 5, 2005

Cabins of Gatlinburg and or the American cabins rented a cabin to me which states the following: "This Gatlinburg vacation cabin has High Cathedral Ceiling with Three Bedrooms and Three Baths with Indoor Jacuzzi, Screened area Deck with Hot Tub, Rocking Chairs and a Swing. Located within Minutes from Gatlinburg attractions, Pigeon Forge, Great Smoky Mountain National Park, Dollywood and Dolly''s Splash Country." The Three bathrooms where no where to be found only two,The Jacuzzi had some kind of matter floating around in it that looked like a baby diaper that had been left there and had came apart.....then there was all the hair ...[hand fulls of it]....bugs [ a few lady bugs ...but not in the amount that would bother anyone but they were there, roaches , and not sure what else was there because I have never seen anything that looked like it before. Then it is the matter of when we turned the Jacuzzi on trying to filter this mess out of it , the main breaker was thrown and had to find the main breaker box, which when throwing the breaker back on it was so hot i could not use my fingers to turn it back on. There where the ceiling fans which we could not use because the lights where falling off from being loose and only held on by the bulbs. When I contacted the rental company (which i could not reach them directly but through the baby sitters) they did nothing to resolve the matter and never contacted me further on it. The cable or satilite does not work. Just be sure if you rent any cabins from them to be sure you have good bug spray with you because the lady bugs are not the ones you have to contend with as they try to tell you in your e-mail after they have already taken the cost from your credit card.....and will do nothing to work with you during or after your stay. Believe me you do not want to get caught staying in these rental companys properity.

look nice on the outside

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo

Watch for Traffic

by Stephen-KarenConn Updated May 19, 2005

Both the streets and sidewalks of Gatlinburg are virtually always crowded. Although there are several crosswalks where pedestrians have the right of way, motorists are often distracted by the sights.

A good buddy of mine from college days lost his mother when she was struck and killed while crossing the street in Gatlinburg. Drive and WALK defensively. Don't take a vacation from common sense and safety.

This picture is the of the Gatlinburg Parkway during March - between skiing season and the blooming of wildflowers - the least crowded month of the year.

A Slow Day in Downtown Gatlinburg

• Cabins of Gatlinburg/American Realty & Cabin Renta

by sdbullard Written Apr 9, 2008

DO NOT RENT FROM THESE PEOPLE!!! When my stepmother arrived at the cabin, the lockbox was either broken or the code they gave was wrong. The side door was open because the lock was broken. The VCR was missing. There is no after hours number, so they had to call, leave a message, and wait for a return call. American Realty & Cabin Rentals didn't have another clean cabin for that night. In an attempt to be accomodating, my stepmother agreed to stay in the cabin and move the sofa in front of the broken door. After eating, they discovered that the beds and dishes were dirty. They called back the person they'd spoken with earlier, left a voicemail, and received no response. They spent that night in a motel and were so disturbed from their dealings with Julie Owens that they decided to head home the next day rather than stay in a different cabin operated by these people. We are now disputing the charges because, despite having breached the contract by not providing a habitable cabin, Julie Owens at American Realty and Cabins is insisting on charging them for the second night and only refunding the first night if they provide a copy of the hotel receipt. She seemed completely unconcerned by the thought of two older women staying alone in a cabin in the woods without a lock. She acted as if she were doing us a favor by offering to refund the first night. She got very hostile and kept telling me to read the contract. I did read the contract, but I understand the law and things like the benefit of the bargain and the uselessness of boiler plate language. Don't deal with these rude people who do not provide the service for which you are paying and will treat you poorly when you complain about it. If they've already treated you poorly, complain online, complain to the Better Business Bureau, complain to the TN Real Estate Commission who gave Julie Owens her license, and ask your credit card company to dispute the charges.

• Seniors
    • Women's Travel

• Darkeyedgirl's Profile Photo

Black bears are NOT like kitty cats!!!

by Darkeyedgirl Written Aug 15, 2005

Remember: this is THEIR territory and YOU are the visitor.

Don’t feed bears—feeding rewards them for approaching people, which can lead to dangerous encounters.

If you see a bear, remain watchful. Do not approach it. If your presence causes the bear to alter its behavior (it stops feeding, changes travel direction, watches you, etc.), you are too close.

Getting too close to a bear may provoke aggressive behavior, such as running toward you, making loud noise or swatting the ground. Slowly back away from the bear, but do not run. The bear can run faster than you, hitting up to 30 miles per hour.

If a black bear persistently follows or approaches you without vocalizing or paw swatting, change your direction. If the bear continues to follow, stand your ground and attempt to intimidate the bear by stomping your feet or throwing rocks or sticks. Do not run, and do not turn away from the bear.

In the rare case that a black bear does attack, fight back: Bite, kick, punch, poke it in the eyes.

big momma

• Bring your photo ID

by jcolanto Updated Dec 28, 2006

If you are going to drink In Gatlinburg make sure you bring you photo ID, no matter how old you look. At a certain time at night the staff in the restaurants come around asking for everyones ID and if you do not have it the waitress grabs your drink right out of your hands. This happened in Crawdaddy's to my 40 year old niece. I think the waitress could have handled the situatuon a bit better. All they had to do is explain to us that there was some kind of rule that at a certain time at night all needed ID and if she asked nice my niece would have gone back to the car to get her ID. Boy did that waitess get the shaft no tip. Big table and we would have tipped her big time. Oh well her loss. Other than that the place was nice and there are great 1.00 beers at Hoggs and Honey's. If you want to rent a beautiful cabin close to everyting go to Starr Crest Resorts. We stayed in a beautiful cabin that slept 11. We also took a hike up to Laurel Falls that was a lot of fun. The holiday decorations around town were beautiful. One night we ate at Alabama Restaurant. It was like a Hard Rock Cafe atmosphere and the service & fod was excellent. Thanks to our great waiter Bobby, he got a great tip from us. We also ate at No Way Jose's if you like mexican food it was excellent! Our cute little Chilliean waitress was very good. We went to DollyWood! It was okay the wooden roller coaster was very good, but stay away from the train, Long wait and nothing much to see especially at night.

• Beer Tasting
    • Hiking and Walking

• CABINSOFGATLINBURG - BEWARE!

by donnabmoss Written Jan 20, 2010

American Realty & Cabin Rentals
    PO Box 1525
    Gatlinburg, TN 37738
    USA

1-800-924-8223

WWW.CABINSOFGATLINBURG.COM

We recently spent a 3 day weekend with my entire family at one of the cabins advertised on this website. The cabin was absolutely gorgeous. However, as they stated in the paperwork they send you - PLEASE PAY ATTENTION - you want to bring bottled water! And lots of it - you will not even want to feed your dog the water that comes out of the pipes in this cabin. It was so discolored that all of the toilets were completely stained in less than 12 hours of our arrival. I would not have bathed my dog in this water - much less my own skin. We were supposed to be in a luxury cabin - not camping in the woods with no usable water supply. We spoke with the people at the 1-800 # about our concerns with the water and they said to let the water run - it would eventually clear up - which did not happen - and they also told us that they would not feed their dog the water - they give their dog bottled water. The cell phone service is almost non-existent - so consequently we were disconnected with the office – however, they did not try to call us back at all. Upon our arrival - there were dead bugs on the floors and some sort of poop on the back deck (no stairs - so it had to have been left there) which I ended up cleaning up myself before my family arrived. It is really a shame for the actual owner of this cabin - because this is a beautiful cabin - and it is not being taken very good care of. The cabin we stayed in had 3 Jacuzzi bathtubs - one in each bedroom - none of which we could use because the water was so nasty. Please just know when they tell you in the paperwork that the water can be brown - BELIEVE THEM - it is not just cloudy - it is disgusting! And the non-concern of the office was inexcusable.

• Luxury Travel

• BEWARE-Cabinsofgatlinburg.com

by nspivey Written Apr 8, 2010

We spent this past weekend in "The Great Escape" and I will say that the cabin was beautiful but however I was not very happy with several different issues.

Both toilets were broken and the tank lids had to be removed to flush. The bath tubs needed to be cleaned and were in serious need of drano. They would fill with water while you were taking a shower. The cable in the living room would not work and the dishes in the cabinets were not even clean.

The upstairs balcony was littered with animal poop and it had been there so long it was turning white.

The hot tub was absolutly discusting with stuff growing on the filter and slime setting up on the walls and floor. There was no chlorine in the floater and you could even smell the water when you removed the cover.

We love the mountians and have made several trips over the years and I have never had an experiance like this. I have to say I was very disappointed with this stay.

• Casino and Gambling

• Beware of cabins of Gatlinburg water shut off

by roman2409 Updated Jun 23, 2010

We stayed this past thur,fri,sat at topsy bear cabin . Rented to us by cabins of gatlinburg . We did love the cabin but had some issues with things . First we called after check in to see why the tvs did not work and was told they only supply 2 boxes for service on the tv even though we had boxes on the other tvs . The masterbed had no service to the tv . The game room had a tv with no service . Was advertised as satellite tv . The masterbath tub the drain stop would not work . The bottom door that leads to the deck would not open . And this was reported and i was told they would get to it . That never happened . The worst thing was we had a gentleman that could not walk alot that stayed at the cabin on the friday all day to relax while we went to shop . We came back around 10pm to discover that he had been there all day with the water shut off because the water bill was not payed and the city shut it off for non payment . I did call the maintenance dept and they turned it back on . I was told by the guy that turned it on that this happens all the time on this cabin . I asked to be called by the management about the problem and no call has been returned at all ,No apologia no explanation . We got an email that said no refunds per contract Thanks . So in other words when you rent from us no guarantee on water or any tv or taking a bath per contract ......lol We had 5 couples that stay in Tennessee at least twice a year that will not rent from the cabins of gatlinburg again . Once they get your money you are on your own per contract . Please pay the extra to make sure you have water and do not have to be hassled with gettiing someone to turn your water back on . Stay somewhere else that you do get service when needed from management not a cowardly email

• RVRoller's Profile Photo

Beautiful But Can Be Deadly!

by RVRoller Written May 27, 2004

The mountains are a beautiful place to visit. However, be careful in the event you would like to return. Mountain roads are best negotiated at a modest speed. You're on vacation...Not driving the Daytona 500.

• WILDEFLOWER's Profile Photo

You will see this fellow in...

by WILDEFLOWER Written Sep 7, 2002

You will see this fellow in the Black Bear Habitat, there's free entertainment and educational Bear Museum and slide show to inform visitors about these wild animals that have roamed the Smokies for thousands of years. Please don't feed the bears.

[ View My Guestbook ]
    [ Sign My Guestbook ]

• RainWispr1's Profile Photo

There are bears everywhere...

by RainWispr1 Written Aug 26, 2002

There are bears everywhere that have become accustomed to humans. They are quite wild and should be steered clear of. They are generally looking for food only. But 'bear play' for us humans wouldn't be much fun.

• VolsUT's Profile Photo

Bears

by VolsUT Written Jul 3, 2005

Only a few Bears reside in Gatlinburg and you sould consiter youself lucky if you see one. They are afraid of people so, use common sence you, and but be cogizant of the fact that they are wild aminals.

• basstbn's Profile Photo

You do not want to get this...

by basstbn Updated Aug 24, 2002

You do not want to get this close to a bear. I had parked my car in a secluded area and got out, hoping to photograph some wildlife. First thing I knew, this bear was headed my direction. I headed for the car as fast as I could without spooking this critter. I got there just in time to take this picture, then rolled up the car window as he/she began to lick on the glass. Be Alert. Bears can be dangerous!

No telephoto lens, not cropped - I was that close!
    • Hiking and Walking
    • National/State Park

• JuliaL's Profile Photo

Black Bears live in the Great...

by JuliaL Written Aug 26, 2002

Black Bears live in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. They can be very dangerous, but for the most part stay away from people. If you're camping in the park, you need to take sensible precautions with storage of food, etc.

• Narrow streets

by Snovak Written Apr 3, 2007

The streets in Gatlinburg are very narrow and packed with cars in all lanes. Today an RV was going down the main strip and the stowed awning on the side of the rv hit a utility pole and was tore off and almost hit me and this other guy. If you have a big vehicle ride the inside lane, and be sure to keep your kids away from the edge of the sidewalk. If this rv awning would have landed on a small child it would have killed them.

Instant Answers: Gatlinburg

Comments

Gatlinburg Warnings and Dangers

Reviews and photos of Gatlinburg warnings and dangers posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Gatlinburg sightseeing.