Johnson City Restaurants

Best Rated Restaurants in Johnson City

• Harmony Grocery Restaurant: Ragin' Cajun

by BuccaneerCop Updated Apr 4, 2011

This restaurant is sorta out of the way - but it is WELL worth the drive - it is located in a small community (near Johnson City and Jonesborough) called Harmony appropriately enough. Harmony Grocery Restaurant is in an old general store and looks like an abandoned house - don't let the looks fool you - this place is a real treasure!!! Authentic cajun-creole food served amid quite an eclectic environment. Might be good to make reservations or call to get better directions. I have noticed that there are not a whole lot of people here who have eaten at Harmony Grocery - more the pity because it is a wonderful secret to have discovered. Hours of business are:
    Thursday thru Saturday - 5PM to 10PM. They do not sell alcoholic beverages, but you can brownbag...

Favorite Dish: Blackened catfish....blackened anything! I have been to New Orleans twice and the food here at Harmony stood up well to the food in Louisiana.....not bad for East Tennessee Cajun!!!!
    They have recently brought back the Friday Night Fish Fry - check it out!

• Hexepatty's Profile Photo

Cootie Brown's: Despite the name...

by Hexepatty Written Apr 21, 2008

Funky, colorful, nice staff, big menu. Thoughtful, fresh prepared decent inexpensive food! not a chain.

Favorite Dish: I ordered the oyster po-boy. Friends ordered Prime Rib, Bratwurst platter and Shrimp po-boy. We were all happy. Tab for 4 was less than $40. (Not including beers. That put the tab a bit higher!)

• Firehouse Restaurant: 4-Alarm BBQ

by BuccaneerCop Written May 9, 2004

This place is a restored firehouse (circa 1930s) - just like the name suggests...and the food? Let me tell you that this BBQ is unlike any I have ever tasted...owner Tom Seaton conjured up his own special sauce and it is outta this world!!! Pulled pork - beef - half a chicken - they got all that and sides like slaw, fries, salads and BBQ beans. It's all in the sauce though as most any BBQ place can attest to...and the decor is strictly firehouse all they way - patches, photos, helmets, even a whole restored pumper truck located in the front lobby. People come from way around to eat at the Firehouse - and so should you when you're in or around Johnson City.

Favorite Dish: Pulled pork - beef - half a chicken - they got all that and sides like slaw, fries, salads and BBQ beans. It's all in the sauce though as most any BBQ place can attest to...and it's all hickory smoked out back - and they cater too - what more can you ask for????

• Business Travel

• KaiM's Profile Photo

Amigos: Viva Amigos

by KaiM Written Mar 13, 2003

Wow, that is some great Mexican food!!! If you like Tortillas, Fajitas and Burritos you just have to go to Amigos. They´ve the best Mexican cuisine in town. Look for their specials. We had some great offer with a cheap pitcher of beer. Don´t remember the exact offer.

• Cafe Pacific: Cafe Pacific

by Mtnsport Written Oct 4, 2002

Cafe Pacific is a unique fusion of Pacific Rim cuisine. Make no mistake, Cafe Pacific is not a cheap eat but it is well worth the price, the service and the food are spectacular. I'm not one that often goes for 'fru-fru' dining experiences that serve attractive but rediculously small portions that have you thinking of stopping at McDonalds on the way home, but CP is not that way. You will leave completely satisfied and smiling.

CP has a fantastic wine and beer selection. For beer, let me recommend Delirium Tremens; great beer but take it easy, they're potent!

Favorite Dish: Too many good things to narrow it to one! There are always excellent specials.

Cracker Barrel: Cracker Barrel

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 3, 2014

Tony and I stopped here today to eat our breakfast. It is like any other typical Cracker Barrel...which is always good and always crowded. Our waitress was friendly and fast. The food was good..and ample..I always get way to full..and to be truthful I go for the shopping..not necessarily the food..They have some of their holiday Christmas stuff out..I buy all my christmas tree ornaments at Cracker Barrel.
    I recommend to all, you won't be disappointed.

Harbor House Seafood: Harbor House Seafood

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 3, 2014

It is our first night staying in our new town. We drove up here for the weekend to check out the town and area and we saw this restaurant several times today..so when trying to figure out what for dinner...we both said HARBOR HOUSE...lol !!!
    It is easily found and located near my new office ...and it was not that packed. The restaurant is larger inside than it looks outside..
    We were greeted and seated immediately. Our waitress arrived quickly introduced herself and took our drink order. She also suggested some delicious meal options once we told her it was our first time.
    Since my gastric by pass, a lot deep fried foods mess with my stomach but she assured us that the oil in the fryers are changed regularly..so we took her word on it and her suggestions. We opted for the Harbor House Platter to share..it was a large combo of fish, hushpuppies, clam strips, oysters, shrimp and scallops and even a stuffed crab portion..some cole slaw and we even shared the huge baked potato with butter and sour cream.
    It is a family restaurant ( not located on the water) and no alcohol is served. So we ordered iced tea..and it was great..Not too sweet ...just right..
    I would definitely eat here again! I highly recommend this delicious seafood restaurant to anyone in the area...you have to try it out.
    The service was friendly and fast and the restaurant is decorated to make you feel like you are on the beach front somewhere...
    I can't wait to take my daughter here and let her try it out.
    They also have a wall of photos of people who attempt to eat their MONSTER BURGER...are you on that wall?

• Seniors

Freiberg's: Freiberg's

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 3, 2014

I walked into this restaurant excited!!! I used to live in Germany and it is hard to find really delicious food here in the states..so whenever I can I check out the German Fare...especially if it gets great reviews...like this Restaurant...
    So we eagerly went into the gorgeous restaurant to eat.
    It was Saturday around 12:30 and it is packed..Understandable since it has great reviews...so we stand there waiting, waiting, waiting...and then waiting some more...NO ONE even acknowledges us..NOT once!!!
    They don't even yell at us ONE SEC like the other restaurant..they just go about their duties waiting on the peeps already enjoying their food...
    I can't believe this...three different establishments on the same street...three different ones...and we can't eat or drink a beer in this town!!! We are suppose to be relocating here and we can't get any lunch???
    Is this normal?
    I am a foodie...I love to eat and review..and I plan on doing this all over town ...this better not be how it is going to be....FINGERS CROSSED!!!
    I will try it again one more time!!!
    I hope they will do better..The food looks amazing!! I am dying to try it out. I want some really delicious German Food!!! Hopefully this is the place!!

• Beer Tasting

Holy Taco and Cantina: Holy Taco and Cantina

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 3, 2014

I would give them LESS than a ONE if I could..I am very UNHAPPY with their service. My husband and I stopped in today, Saturday Sept 7th after attending the "TREE DISTRICT" Community Yard Sale.
    So, we decided to stop and walk around downtown Johnson City and we were displeased with three locations...But by far this was the worst one of the three...
    Tony and I went into the Catina and we were really excited about trying it out. It had a great atmosphere!!
    The girl behind the bar was extremely busy and she shouted across the room, I will be with you in a second....so we sat down and looked at the menu. She never did take our drink orders. But she was busy!!!
    Then another couple came in and sit behind us..and she yelled the same to them!! Both of our tables continued to set there about 10 minutes..then this guy came out of the kitchen..and apparently knew the other couple..Immediately took their order for the drinks and then brought them over to them, took their food order and went back to the kitchen..NEVER even looking our way!!!
    The lady behind the bar continued to laugh and talk to the men at the bar she was making drinks for..she was swamped but she could have at least yelled to us..what do you want to drink????? she was yelling everything else!!!
    So we sit for another 5 minutes, the guy brought out the shrimp taco and the other tacos that the guy ordered...and then went back to the kitchen...AGAIN..never even making any notice as if we were there!!!
    I looked at my husband and said...ARE we INVISIBLE? so we walked out...I yelled at the lady "Thanks for nothing"...and no remark back!!!
    If this is how they are going to do business on SATURDAYS during FOOTBALL season...GOOD LUCK!!!
    I am relocating to Johnson City soon, and I will give them ONE MORE CHANCE...but if it is another BAD experience...I will YELP IT ALL OVER TOWN!!!! and the INTERNET...if its much better..then I will cancel out this review!!!!
    I know everyone should have a second chance, and every one has busy and bad days...but the guy taking care of his friends and NOT us....UNACCEPTABLE !!!

Cootie Brown's: Cootie Brown's

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 3, 2014

Tony and I went to Johnson City today, Saturday Sept 7th, and we stopped at "Cootie Brown's" for lunch!!! The parking lot was so full and the outside dining area was overflowing with laughing, happy and eating customers. We were greeted immediately and we were seated inside. It was so vivid and lively in there with the tables well painted, the chairs all bright yellow and so many great colors...Our waiter was so friendly...His name was Dillon and we greeted us and even made a recommendation for the Jamacian Jerk chicken sandwich...we opted to try the pizza though...
    We went with the pick 2-5 toppings half pizza..with pepperoni, smoked mozzarella cheese, basil and garlic seasoning with mushrooms, onions and jalapeno peppers..the cook the pizza on the OPEN FLAME Wood burning Grill..OMG..the crust was thin and amazing..the Red tomato sauce was AWESOME!!! ..they cut it into square pieces...I highly recommend this restaurant..
    The prices are AWESOME!!!! half pizza, large coke, small order of their homemade Cootie Chips and Tony had 2 budweisers...All for less than $18 dollars and then I left him an AWESOME tip... I can't wait to eat there again!!!
    When I relocate to Johnson City, this will be our favorite hangout place!! Can't wait to try the tamales, the Jamacian Stuffed pies, and Chicken sandwiches.
    I loved this place!!
    If you are in the area...Go Go Go to this place!!!!

• Singles

Instant Answers: Johnson City

Comments

Johnson City Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Johnson City restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Johnson City sightseeing.