The Ochs Memorial Observatory, high above the Tennessee River, offers spectacular views of the Chattanooga area. It was dedicated November 12, 1940, and named in honor of Alolph S. Ochs (1858-1935), onetime Chattanooga resident and later owner-publisher of the New York Times. Adolph Ochs and his brother Milton were leaders in creating the Chattanooga-Lookout Mountain Park, which was donated to the National Military Park in 1934, adding nearly 3.000 acres. There is a small museum at the observatory with items of interest to Civil War buffs.
Visible from the terrace of the Ochs Observatory is Lookout Rock, one of the favorite spots for federal officers and enlisted men who had fought in the battles around Chattanooga to pose for photographs to send home to family and friends.
Point Park is a part of the Chickamauga and Chattanooga National Military Park, which has sections throughout the Chattanooga area in both Tennessee and Georgia. It was established in 1890 and is America's first and largest National Military Park.
The Entrance Gate to Point Park was constructed in 1905 by the U.S. Corps of Engineers and is the largest replica of the Corp's insignia in the world. A small user fee ($3.00) is charged to take the walking tour inside the park. Here you will see three Confederate artillery positions which mark a very small segment of the siege lines that encircled Chattanooga during the Civil War.
Point Park is also the site of the famous "Battle Above the Clouds, November 23, 1863. Inside the park are monuments, an observatory with stunning views, a small museum and the trialheads to miles of hiking trails which crisscross Lookout Mountain.
A large momument in the center of Point Park, the New York Peace Memorial, stands 95 feet high and is 50 feet wide at the base. It is constructed of Tennessee marble and pink Massachusetts granite. On top of the shaft, a Union and a Confederate soldier shake hands under one flag, signifying peace and brotherly love.
On taking the walking tour of Point Park the first Confederate siege line one will come upon features two 12-pounder Napoleon Cannons, named for Emperor Napoleon III of France. This type of smooth-bore cannon was one of the standard weapons used by both sides during the Civil War. The guns could fire a 12-pound projectile 1,700 yards. They were ideal for close range fighting on level open ground but were less effective at long-range fighting in mountainous areas, where rifled cannons were preferfed.