Lynchburg Restaurants

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Southern Perks: Bakery & Bistro on the Square

by TravellerMel Written Oct 25, 2010
    Southern Perks

Nice coffee shop/bakery/bistro on the Historic Square in Lynchburg. I got a turkey croissant sandwich and fountain drink for under $7. They also have a variety of baked goods which looked scrumptious, as well as a wall of modestly priced local handicrafts and artwork. It was a nice break from a day of shopping & distillery-touring. :-)

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Iron Kettle Restaurant: Little Diner on the Square

by TravellerMel Written Aug 31, 2010

Inexpensive diner on the downtown square. They offer a typical Southern "meat and three" in addition to their regular menu, which has burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, etc. The daily meat + 3 was $6, and gives you a LOT of food. Diner was small, old, but clean and the waitress was friendly. I liked it, and would go back.

Favorite Dish: I had the "Meat and three" off the white board - I chose BBQ pork (excellent!), fried okra (yummy) and blueberry cobbler (yum!). My iced tea glass was never allowed to become empty.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo

Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House: Mid-Day Dinner at Miss Mary Bobo's

by aussiedoug Written Oct 31, 2004

Miss Mary Bobo's front entrance

If you are visiting Lynchburg at all then you must, you absolutely MUST have "dinner" at Miss Mary Bobo's Dining House.

Why you ask? Well for us Aussies it was a chance to have "dinner" in the middle of the day when we normally have "lunch". I guess that well may be true for many of your US citizens too, especially if you're from the north.
    You see in rural Tennessee, they say, the mid-day meal is "Dinner" & in the evening they eat "Supper". There you have it.

Now seriously, we only went here because the couple we'd been visiting in Huntsville, Alabama, organised this for not only us, but also for her parents from New Jersey. Apparently this Dining House has quite a reputation far afield.

We were very pleased that Elizabeth & Bill did organise this as it was a chance to get a little glimpse into the old south. It was also a chance to enjoy some southern cuisine. It's too easy when travelling to miss these genuine chances to explore a bit of interesting local history. This place now is getting on for almost a hundred years old. Only another 4 years and it celebrates its centenary.

They say in their brochure that your mealtime at Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House will allow you to become of the Lynchburg "family" as you participate in the Tennessee tradition of noontime "dinner". Yep, we did that & enjoyed it a lot. I recommend you do too.

Favorite Dish: We really enjoyed our "southern" "Dinner" dining experience.

Now, I'm stretching the memory a bit here as this is some time back when we visited here. It wasn't a fixed menu as such, but it was in reality. Various dishes were brought out & one could chose whatever took one's fancy. I remember really enjoying the fried chicken & also a nice variety of hot vegetables & of course the ubiquitous southern "grits".

Of course a delicious serving of pie finished off the meal with coffee. Yes, we got our just desserts (& yes pun intended. lol!).

"Dinner" is served each day, Monday through Saturday at 1:00 p.m.

I like this little saying on the brochure I picked up from there.

"Our gate bangs high & hinders none;
    So rest, refresgh, then travel on."

That's just what we did. From there onto the Jack Daniel Distillery then back to Memphis soon after dark. A very pleasant day out in Lynchburg!

• Mindy_J's Profile Photo

The BBQ Caboose: Delicious BBQ, with incredible hospitality

by Mindy_J Written Jan 10, 2007

wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! We all four had something different & it was all great.

Favorite Dish: RIBS of course

• Camping
    • Seniors
    • Mountain Climbing

Instant Answers: Lynchburg

Comments

Lynchburg Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Lynchburg restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Lynchburg sightseeing.