Manchester Travel Guide

Manchester Things to Do

• butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

by butterflykizzez04 Written Jun 26, 2014

I am a fan...but I am always a fan of somewhere I can hike to get EXERCISE and learn something and enjoy the amazing outdoor scened try that we are blessed to share...I am always amazed how much beauty we pass up every day..and it is usually (95% of the time) FREE ...only thing required...you have to find it, enjoy it and be amazed..

Today was a gorgeous Sunday...I worked yesterday so I was still a little tired but I knew I needed to hike and I knew I needed to stay close to Nashville due to money...tight budget the weekend before payday..so I chose going to Manchester to Old Stone Fort State Park...Easy to find right the I-24 ..just follow the brown signs..Easy to find..

We arrived at the park and they have camping here if you like that. I am not much into camping...I prefer the BED..I am a BED LOVER...not much to sleeping bags and bugs...lol !!!

We parked and got our little doggie Sammy out of the van. I put on my tennis shoes, leaving my sandals behind. Attached Sammy's leash to my waste..My fanny pack holds the leash for me, I just have to adjust how much lead way I want to allow her..While we were suiting up for the hiking and spraying off with the OFF with Deet bug spray, Tony and Noel went into the visitors center and museum (no doggies allowed in here)

Noel purchased a few postcards for us and grabbed some park literature. We started our hike by jumping out about 5 large deers and Sammy went haywire...she is a small nervous dog and very protective so she thought we were being invaded...lol !!! We walked about a mile out the trail and then decided to cut over the mountain side following a well path down to the waters edge to a the base of a lovely waterfall. Here, Noel and I took off our shoes and waded out into the water..we were literally walking a little above our ankles on a rock floor.

The Water fall had an upper fall, then the falls were at, and then you walk out the water rock floor (shelve) you are on top of the third fall drop off..so it is actually like one very spread out waterfall with three levels and we were on the second level.

The water was so clear and really thick moss below my barefeet on the rock..it was not that slippery ..not that normal slimy slick feel when you are rocks submerged in running water...so it was actually easy to walk on. The thick cushiony moss made it easy on my barefeet. The water was so clear and cool. Sammy took several drinks..

Every now and then there was a slightly deeper drop of bujt nothing major. When I stepped down into them it made the water go to mid way below my knee...nothing major. I did put Sammy in there to let her swim..she had a good time..her first time swimming in the running creek waters.
    Not really deep enough for any major swimming but if you wanted to wade and or even sit down to get wet on a hot day..this is a great location.
    We spent about an hour playing in the water before hiking back. We found some interesting large mushrooms growing along the pathway and a live snake in a tree...very interesting hike and great water to play in.
    I will definitely go here again..I highly recommend this wonderful playland that God has given us to enjoy in his backyard...

• National/State Park
    • Hiking and Walking

Manchester Hotels

Manchester Restaurants

• butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 3, 2014

Great food for a great price.....can't beat the value
    Tony and I ate breakfast at Waffle House in Manchester, TN on our way to "Cloudland Canyon State Park" in Georgia to go hiking.. So we stopped for some breakfast and to let the dawn break.

There wasn't many patrons in the small restaurant..three waitresses and one cook.. Tony and I opted to both get the new Jalapeno Cheddar biscuit with Grilled Chicken...and he ordered a side of hash browns...I got the hot tea and he got a glass of milk..
    It was really good. I am not much of a biscuit person so i was very pleased with the new menu item..

Tip and all it was just under $15..great value for a great product. I would eat this again!! I will definitely eat at Waffle House again...
    I recommend it to all...just the right amount of spicy and heat.

Manchester What to Pack

by Rickman77 Written Apr 19, 2005

Camping/Beach/Outdoor Gear: Of course you need a tent, RV, hammock, truck bed or something to sleep in.

But more importantly you will need a tent type structure that will keep the sun off you during the day. It's not too big of a problem to keep the sun off, but you also need something that will stand up against the breeze/wind and keep the sun off. This is where it gets tricky.

I don't have any great tip to solve this problem, but I do know that shade is a key factor in your enjoyment of the weekend.

Good luck finding a good low cost solution.

by Rickman77 Written Apr 19, 2005

Clothing/Shoes/Weather Gear: Rain and thunderstorms are often in the forecast. If you get either you will be left with lots of mud. To combat the mud you have three options.
    1. Good waterproof boots
    2. Rain booties
    3. Good sandals that love the mud as much as your open toes do.

Sandals are my weapon of choice.

Happy and Free!

by Rickman77 Written Apr 19, 2005

Miscellaneous: Ice is one of the biggest commodities at Bonnaroo. Three days in the Tennessee heat will leave you with warm beer and soda.

My advice is to fill up gallon jugs of water at home and then freeze them. You can use them as ice till they melt and then drink the cool water.

Manchester Favorites

by Rickman77 Written Apr 19, 2005

Favorite thing: Every year there is a giant traffic jam created by everyone trying to get to the festival. Stories of people sitting in traffic only miles away for 10, 12, or even 20 hours are not at all unheard of.

Though the traffic situation has improved little by little each year it is still something that you don't want to have deal with.

Thankfully there is an easy way to beat it. Show up on Thursday. The earlier the better. Thursday morning and you'll have no traffic. By Thursday night traffic may already be backing up. Friday is sure to be a mad house.

To play it safe, try to get to the campground by noon on Thursday.

Cars as far as the eye can see

Instant Answers: Manchester

Comments

Manchester Travel Guide
Map of Manchester