Information, Memphis

Know about this? Rate It!

• Information
    by TravellerMel
    by grandmaR
    Flags outside the Visitor
    by grandmaR
  • TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Visit a Memphis Visitors Information Center

by TravellerMel Written Jul 29, 2013

Favorite thing: I stopped at this visitors center on my way into Memphis - just to use the bathroom, to be honest. What I found there was a full-service visitors center, complete with gift shop, information kiosks, and a very friendly an helpful staff member. As I was purchasing some postcards, the staff member asked me what I planned to do in Memphis. I told her I wanted to visit the National Civil Rights Museum and Sun Studios. She then asked me if I had already purchased my tickets. When I replied that I had not, she mentioned they had discounted passes for each of the Memphis attractions. My stop at the visitors center saved me $6!

Memphis Visitor Center
    3205 Elvis Presley Boulevard
    Memphis, TN 38116
    (901) 543-5333

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Visitor's Center

by grandmaR Updated Feb 14, 2012

Decorated Egg (Birthplace of the Blues)

Favorite thing: The Visitor's Center is the place to start when you visit Memphis. The City tours will pick up from there, you can park for free and get the trolley from there, and they give great advice about places to eat, and driving directions. We went there three times when we were in Memphis.

Fondest memory: I was fascinated with the statue of Elvis.

In the visitor's center is the original statue of the Vegas jump-suited Elvis which stood on Beale Street plaza near the old site of the Lansky's store. Lansky made Elvis's suits. The statue was so popular tourists climbed onto the base of the statue and managed to pry loose the metal fringe on the jump suit. The statue was refurbished, including the jacket fringe and is now in the Visitors Center along with a statue of B.B. King. In the climate-controlled room he's had all to himself since 1996, the more mature bronze Presley stands on a pedestal that is "alarm protected" according to the plaques by each of his feet.

• Music

• anderschwan's Profile Photo

Memphis Flyer's Annual Manual

by anderschwan Written Sep 11, 2003

Overton Park Shell

Favorite thing: If you are going to be in Memphis, you have to check out the Flyer to know what is going on. They also publish an Annual Manual, a must have for living there. Memphis has some great live music but the only way to find out where Todd Snider is playing, or if Alex Chilton will be in town is to read the flyer.

Fondest memory: Todd Snider performing at the Daily Planet, the Sunset Symphony during Memphis in May, drinking dollar shots when the train went by RP Tracks, the Rendevous, the bizarre performances in Overton Park's Shell Stage.

Instant Answers: Memphis