Music, Memphis

Know about this? Rate It!

• Music
    by SCondrey
    Statue of WC Handy on Beale Street
    by myrtle
  • myrtle's Profile Photo

Memphis Blues History

by myrtle Updated Mar 31, 2004

Statue of WC Handy on Beale Street

Favorite thing: WC Handy is a name you are sure to hear about when you come to Memphis. WC Handy was known as the Father of the Blues, and Memphis is the home of the blues. Although WC Handy was born in Florence, Alabama he brought the Blues to Memphis, and they've been here ever since. You'll find this statue of WC Handy on Beale Street where the Blues come to life, and where WC Handy played. For more info on the history of Memphis check out www.memphislibrary.lib.tn.us/history/memphis2.htm

• If you like all types of...

by cinnamon4 Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: If you like all types of music, then Beale Street is a must see. If you are an Elvis fan, Graceland is the place to go. Several great restaurants, The Rendevouz is a great place to start if you like ribs and barbecue.

Fondest memory: When I was six years old I met Elvis Presley at the train station here. He was on his way to New York to be on the Ed Sullivan Show. He picked me up, called me
    honey and sweetheart, gave me his autograph and kissed my hand. I swore I would never was that hand again.

• SCondrey's Profile Photo

Memphis in May Beale Street...

by SCondrey Written Aug 26, 2002

Favorite thing: Memphis in May Beale Street Music Festival is held every year at Tom Lee Park on the Mississippi River. For 2001 the bands included Dave Matthews, Blues Traveler, Bob Dylan, Dave Mason, Three 6 Mafia, George Clinton, The Offspring, and one of my personal favorites The North Mississippi All Stars, more than 60 bands, 4 stages, three days, Memphis in May’s Beale Street Music Festival is mid-America’s Party on the River!

This festival has a limited number of tickets. All three days in 2001 were sold out. If you're planning on attending get your tickets in advance or you won't get in.

Fondest memory: Partying on the river with my friends and listening to great music for the past 20 years.

For more information: MemphisinMay.org