Nightclubs and bars in Memphis

b. b. king's blues club
    by doug48

Most Viewed Nightlife in Memphis

• Hopkid's Profile Photo

Mr. Handy's Blues Hall: Great blues juke joint!

by Hopkid Updated Apr 4, 2011

Mr. Handy's Blues Hall is a great spot to hear a blues band. It is pretty small and only has a handful of tables and stools on one side of the narrow room and a bar with addtional stools on the other. The stage is on the end of the room opposite the entry from Beale Street. It is this intimate setting that makes seeing a band here really nice. It reminded me of a couple of the blues bars I've been to on Halstead Street in Chicago. Bar service is fast and friendly although their on tap selection was a bit lacking.

Another plus is that the place is great for people watching. We saw quite a few colorful characters on the two nights we spent time here. And everyone in there is very friendly just taking in the music and atmosphere and wanting to have a good time. On both nights we saw local blues band, Delta Highway. We were so impressed by them the first night we had to come back the next night! Definitely a great experience!

Dress Code: Casual

Brandon Santini of Delta Highway Justin Sulek of Delta Highway

• eddieboy726's Profile Photo

Blues City Cafe !!!: Blues and Food !!!

by eddieboy726 Written Nov 25, 2007

Blues City Cafe is a restaurant and night club, located on Beale Street. Famous for ribs-steaks-tamales, and gumbo. The food is very good. They have blues bands at night, like most other of the clubs.

Dress Code: Whatever you want !!!

food & music
    • Wine Tasting

• Danalia's Profile Photo

The Stella Maris Club: The Stella Maris Club

by Danalia Written Jan 1, 2011

The Stella Maris club, which now I've heard was closed, offered Latin dance on fridays nights.
    I think the owners chanced it into a different kind of club, so here are some fotos for the nice time we had there....

The Stella Maris Club The Stella Maris Club The Stella Maris Club The Stella Maris Club The Stella Maris Club

• afowles's Profile Photo

Wild Bill's: Deep Blues

by afowles Written May 31, 2008

The cover is steep, the beer is cheap, and the blues are deep at Wild Bill's. Mercifully removed from Beale Street, this bar is a gem. It's a storefront juke joint that serves beer by the quart and blues by the ton. On the weekends, the Memphis Soul Survivors take the stage and rev the crowd up to a frenzy. It's what a Memphis blues club should be, but what the tourist clamor on Beale Street has crushed.

Cover is 10 bucks and a quart (40 oz) of beer is 4. There's a liquor store in the same strip mall and you can bring your own booze. The bar will provide a setup.

Dress Code: Come as you are.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Jerry Lee Lewis' Cafe and Honky Tonk: Jerry Lee Lewis' Cafe and Honky Tonk on Beale St.

by TravellerMel Written Jul 29, 2013

Was told about this place during the Sun Studios tour - it has just opened! There was great music coming from within, and I was told that The Killer, Jerry Lee Lewis himself, is scheduled to play there once a month. The cafe is filled with personal memorabilia - it looks like a very cool place to visit, but I wasn't here long enough to hang out. There were quite a few people going in and coming out - I will definitely have to check it out when I go back. I'd LOVE to see Jerry Lee in person!

People's Billiard Club: People's Billiard Club on Beale Street

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 5, 2014

Awesome!!! When we crossed Beale Street in front of "Coyote Ugly" to the People's Billiard Club...I was pleasantly impressed !!! This is a real old fashioned "POOL HALL", the type my daddy and my uncles would take me to when I was young..I mean Young..I mean 4-5 yrs old...lol !!!! Dancing the Juke Box to Elvis in the corner while the played Pool, drank beer and smoked cigarettes..Yes today that would be a phone call to the CPS...but we are talking about late 1968 and 1969...a different time, a different place...a different world...and walking into this Pool Hall called People's Billiard Club on Beale Street transformed to this wonderful yester years !!! I wanted to cry and my hubby, Tony thought I lost my mind!!!!

We went into the pool hall that had 12 tables, and a few high top tables with bar stood situated throughout the hall among the Billiard Tables here and there. There are wires on the ceiling hanging down in long loops with beads like an abacus to keep the score, You use your pool stick to reach up and slide the beads here and there to keep the score/count. Depending on the game your playing..There was a juke box, a small bar serving a full liquor selection and beer selection. They serve Pizza and I didn't see anything else on the menu..but I didn't see anyone eating any nor did I smell any cooking. There was only one bartender and guessing by his side, he was also the law in the building the bouncer and rule enforcer...but everyone was having a good time.
    You can smoke here, which is a great plus for the drinkers and smokers...I personally don't do either but it helped with the reminiscing I was experience...and I loved every moment of it.. Tony drank about 3 beers here, we didn't play any billiards but we enjoyed watching the others. I had an iced tea and I did order One Michelob Light Ultra to sip...I gave into weakness....lol !!! but at least I didn't grab a Marlboro!!!!
    I definitely recommend this location on Beale Street and I can't wait to partake again in the place that brings me back to a time I long for again and again!!!!

Hubby Tony enjoying the Pool Hall
    • Women's Travel

Coyote Ugly: Coyote Ugly of Memphis

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 5, 2014

Dead Dead Dead on a Saturday night!!!
    Tony and I went bar hopping in Memphis on Beale Street and we dashed into "Coyote Ugly" on the lower end of Beale Street across from the Hard Rock Cafe.

We go to the one in Nashville, so we knew what to expect..except DEAD DEAD DEAD !!! There was only a handful of patrons milling around and I would definitely say less than that if I wanted to stand and count them. There was only 2 girls working and let's face it....I wouldn't have considered them Coyote Ugly Material...but we didn't even get a beer here..We walked in, looked around a bit and opted to dash across the street to the Beale Street Pool/ Billiards Hall..a much better choice!!!!

Maybe it was the weather, or the fact it is Winter time. We will try it again next time we are on Beale street to see if it changed any !!!

• Women's Travel

Beale Street Tap Room: Beale Street Tap Room

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 5, 2014

Tony and I went to Beale Street in Memphis to enjoy some Blues!!! So, on an impromptu trip to Memphis we stopped at the Beale Street Tap Room and was pleasantly surprised. It was a little crowded and there was plenty of seating with food, drinks and music. We opted not to get any food, but we did listen to the music while Tony enjoyed two Budweiser Beers and I enjoyed some Lemonade with extra lemon that the bartender made fresh. It was very good.

The music was very loud and the food smelled really good but we already had food plans and I didn't want to cheat on my diet. When we go back to Beale Street we are going to enjoy the food at this location.

Outside in the middle street there was some gentleman doing some acts and flips. It was causing a large crowd. Music coming from every doorway. We enjoyed ourselves!

• pulpcouture's Profile Photo

Hi Tone Cafe: Best Little Music Venue in Memphis

by pulpcouture Written May 11, 2008

The Hi Tone Cafe, once the location of the dojo where The King himself studied karate, is now one of the most accessible and reliable music venues in Memphis.

The small to mid-size venue (mid size for Memphis,) hosts bands from local metal, garage rock and punk acts (Memphis still has it when it comes to local music!) to national and international headliners.

I like to bring out of town guests here, it's real, but not TOO real (sleazy?) for most people. I think most shows these days are 18+, a few are all ages, and sometimes they're 21+. MOST shows are in the neighborhood of $7.00 at the door, check their Web site for they're schedule, since bigger acts often sell out and have advance tickets available. Shows tend to start around 10:30 or 11:00, but it's basically just whenever there's enough of an audience to play for.

Dress Code: Anything goes.

The game room before it gets rowdy.

• eddieboy726's Profile Photo

Beale Street !!!: Motorcycles !!!

by eddieboy726 Written Oct 7, 2008

Every Wednesday night from summer to the last week of October is bike night on Beale Street. They have some very expensive bikes, and some not to expensive. I'm setting on a 1963 Honda that cost the owner $35.00.

• eddieboy726's Profile Photo

Pepsi Cola Pavilion !!!: Park !!!

by eddieboy726 Written Nov 17, 2007

Pepsi Cola Pavilion is a park, and they have free concerts. They start in the afternoon, and last into the night.

Dress Code: Whatever you want .

• eddieboy726's Profile Photo

Juke Joint !!!: Blues Hall !!!

by eddieboy726 Written Oct 13, 2008

The Blues Hall or (Juke Joint) it's the same place, is a pretty nice club to hear music. I heard the Delta Saturn Band the night i was there, and they like to (boogie).

• eddieboy726's Profile Photo

Blue's Hall !!!: Blue's Music !!!

by eddieboy726 Written Dec 10, 2008

The Delta Southern Band is a pretty good band. The guitar player builds barns by day, and plays music at night. This band likes to boogie.

Dress Code: What ever

Super 8 Memphis Downtown Graceland
Sheraton Memphis Downtown Hotel
Radisson Inn Memphis Airport

Instant Answers: Memphis

Comments

Memphis Nightlife

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Memphis locals.
Map of Memphis