Rayford's, Memphis

Inside Paula & Raiford's Disco
    by Jefie
    Dancing at Rayford's
    by myrtle

Know about this? Rate It!

• Jefie's Profile Photo

Paula & Raiford's Disco: Boogie nights are back!

by Jefie Updated Sep 21, 2015

Because of our age difference, my sister and I never really had the chance to go clubbing together (by the time I turned 18, she was already busy taking care of my nephew). That's why I thought it might be fun to check out Paula & Raiford's Disco while we were in Memphis. Part of it was a lot of fun: the atmosphere definitely was like nothing I had ever seen, except maybe in movies. DJ Raiford was dressed to the nines and spinning one disco music hit after the other. Unfortunately, that's where the fun part ended. The cover charge was a whopping $20 and you had to pay for drinks in cash only, which was a bit of a problem since we hadn't brought that much money with us. The other thing is that we showed up at 11:00 pm on a Saturday night, which I'm guessing was a tad too early. We might have stuck around and wait for the place to fill up had it not been for the rather agressive waitresses who kept asking us if we wanted a drink and followed me around everywhere as I was trying to check the place out. They made us feel like we had no right to be there and enjoy the atmosphere unless we were willing to spend more money than we already had just to get in. So before long my sister and I decided to call it a night and left without ever hitting the dance floor. Too bad though, for the place sure looked like it could have been a lot of fun...

Paula & Raiford's Disco in Memphis, TN Inside Paula & Raiford's Disco
    • Music

• myrtle's Profile Photo

Rayford's: Smokey Club

by myrtle Updated Sep 5, 2005

The music at this club is great, but you may not like the environment very much. I think it used to be a strip club, so there are stripper poles on the stage. They also play this horrible siren sound every now & then that is just annoying. The only drinks they sell there are 40 ounce beers. It's not a very big club, so it can get pretty crowded quickly. I know it was recently shut down temporarily because they were caught selling drugs in there. I never noticed this the few times I was there, but they're back in business now from what I understand. It's very smokey not only from the smokers, but also they have those smoke/fog machines going in there. The music they play is hip-hop, which is my favorite to dance to.

It's not far from Beale Street. Just about anyone on Beale Street ought to be able to tell you how to get there. It's just a bit of a walk through a bad neighborhood. When I took some friends that were from out of town, one of my local friends made the comment about the song "Walking in Memphis." He said, "If you're walking 10 feet off of Beale you're in a bad neighborhood." That's pretty accurate.

Dancing at Rayford's