Corkys Ribs & BBQ, Memphis

by Hopkid
  • RickinDutch's Profile Photo

Corky's Ribs & BBQ: BBQ - A Memphis specialty

by RickinDutch Written Aug 12, 2009

We had lunch here during the work week. The place was packed with locals and after our first bite we knew why. Outstanding BBQ. Pick either the dry (a Memphis specialty) or the more traditional wet BBQ. I had a combination platter and made the mistake of eating all of it. Had a hard time keeping my eyes open all afternoon.

Favorite Dish: Regular order of mixed wet and dry ribs with baked beans, cole slaw and fresh rolls.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

Corky's: not bad in a pinch

by richiecdisc Written May 6, 2009

a little messy in the car

Corky's is a big chain in the south and I found it by searching for BBQ places in Memphis. They have a strong presence on the Internet and should be commended for good marketing. It looked like an okay enough place from the outside but we were happy to see a drive through so we could give it a try and not commit too much of our daily food allowance to it. We figured there had to be better BBQ in Memphis than this.

Favorite Dish: It was just lunch so we both tried the pulled pork sandwich. It was tasty enough but to be honest we were both starving. The sauce was a tad on the sweet side and there was far too much of it, making for an overly wet experience where the pork was overwhelmed rather than enhanced. Two sandwiches with a sweet tea set us back $11 so certainly reasonably priced and good in a pinch. We'd find out from locals later that it was not by any means indicative of good Memphis BBQ.

• Hopkid's Profile Photo

Corkys Ribs & BBQ: Can't Miss BBQ

by Hopkid Written Jun 23, 2006

We went to the original restaurant on Poplar Avenue. (there are a couple of other locations in Memphis). Even though it was lunch I had to order a dinner portion in order to accurately compare the ribs to those we had at Rendevous the night before (ha!). So I ordered the dry ribs (again, in order to compare) but this time in a combo with the pork shoulder. The ribs were very tender and the rub was tasty. But after the second rib I could feel a saltiness building up. Still it wasn't enough to prevent me from finishing my portion! The shoulder was very tender with a faint smoky flavor. It was succulent and served with a very tasty sauce poured over it. Cork's cole slaw was better than that at Rendevous.

As at Rendevous the service was very good and friendly. And a lot of fun too! Corky's also has it's own microbrewed lager which wasn't half bad.

Favorite Dish: Dry rub ribs and pork shoulder

• frankcanfly's Profile Photo

Corky's BBQ

by frankcanfly Updated Jun 5, 2005

Corky's is everywhere in this town, but I think the one that I went to is an older one...

I tried a rack of ribs, "half & half". That means that half the rack was 'wet' and the other half was dry rubbed with spices. It was good, but I've had better.

• John_P_LSU's Profile Photo

Corky's Ribs & BBQ: world famous barbeque

by John_P_LSU Written Aug 11, 2004
    image obtained from internet

This restaurant, with locations in Tennessee, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Florida, Missouri, Kentucky, Illinois, and Indiana has been voted the best Bar-B-Q in Memphis every year from 1985-2001 (and maybe beyond). And, memphis brags it is the BBQ capital of the world (as does Kansas City).

All I know is the food here is really good.

Favorite Dish: Pulled Pork (shoulder) - this tender meat is hand-puled and is wonderfully flavorful!

• myrtle's Profile Photo

Corky's: Corky's BBQ

by myrtle Written Mar 30, 2004

My friends enjoying the wet ribs at Corky's

Corky's has some of the best BBQ in Memphis. The environment is very relaxed & casual. You can even buy some of the barbecue sauce to take home with you or a tee shirt or other souvenirs. If you REALLY like their BBQ you should check out their website. They can ship it to you. Not sure if that applies to anywhere outside the US.

Favorite Dish: Anything you order will be great. I prefer the pork sandwich myself, and the fries are great. Most people prefer their wet ribs.

• spartan's Profile Photo

Corkys Ribs & BBQ: Looking for wet BBQ, then this is the place

by spartan Updated Jul 7, 2003

Corky's has been a Memphis tradition for over a decade and has been honored with many awards and achievements over the years. According to the readers of Memphis Magazine, Corky's was voted #1 Bar-B-Q in Memphis for 13 straight years!!! What started out in 1984 as a little Bar-B-Q "joint" has evolved into a multi-facet Bar-B-Q company.

Favorite Dish: What else..it's the ribs!

Instant Answers: Memphis