Graceland, Memphis

• Elena_007's Profile Photo

The Great Wall of Graceland

by Elena_007 Updated Mar 27, 2005

Wall of Graceland

Hundreds of thousands of Elvis fans have signed the wall surrounding Graceland. Do not count on your message still being visible on your next visit, though. There are so many signatures and little notes to Elvis, that they are often written over by his latest fans. If you click to enlarge the photo, you can clearly see that another Elvis visited Graceland, or perhaps he was trying to be humorous (humourous) by writing Elvis was here! It is actually heartwarming to read some of the words of his loyal fans. Even the light pole at the street crossing is signed with love.

• Elena_007's Profile Photo

Graceland is FREE!

by Elena_007 Updated Mar 27, 2005

Graceland

Graceland opened in 1982, and will remain open for generations to come. The nearly 14 acre estate was home to Elvis for 20 years. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1991, and is the most famous visited house, other than the White House. It is estimated that over 600,000 fans visit Graceland each year. The tour does not include the upstairs, mainly because of privacy issues, but also because they would have to alter the upstairs to accomodate the tremendous crowds, including another stairway exit. Priscilla and Lisa Marie decided that Elvis Presley's private area upstairs would remain just that, private.

Every day, during early morning hours, (7:00- 8:30am) visitors are allowed to walk up to the outside of the mansion and visit the Meditation Gardens to pay their respects to Elvis and his family for FREE. The hours differ slightly depending on the season of the year. Check with the website for further details. For a true Elvis fan, a complete tour would be a must see, but for the average tourist, or Memphian, even, the cost may be a little much to bear. I definitely recommend visiting once during the free time Graceland allows each morning, though. It is a peaceful resting place that somehow seems to connect you with a bit of Memphis history. It was 50 years ago this year (2004) that Elvis recorded his first hit "That's Alright" at the legendary Sun Studios in Memphis.

Please see my Local Customs tips to see rare live photographs of Elvis in Concert, Graceland, including the Christmas life size Nativity Scene, Meditation Gardens, and more!

PLATINUM TOUR PACKAGE
    $27.00 - Adults
    $24.30 - Seniors 62+ & Students
    $13.00 - Ages 7-12
    FREE - 6 & Under

This package includes the mansion tour, the 2 custom airplanes, automobile museum, and the "Sincerely Elvis" memorabilia museum and lasts 2- 1/2 to 3 hrs.

Mansion only tours are:
    $18.00 - Adults
    $16.20 - Seniors & Students
    $7.00 - Ages 7-12
    FREE - 6 & Under

• challenger's Profile Photo

Graceland, Graceland, Memphis, Tennessee!

by challenger Updated Aug 1, 2004

Graceland

Can't say I was too much of an Elvis Fan initially. I always liked his later stuff, but it's impossible not to convert to full blown aficionadoship when in Memphis and needless to say, visiting Graceland will soon be the high point of your visit.

Elvis bought the mansion in 1957 for $100,000. At that time it was located in a very respectable, rural neighbourhood. Nowadays it's not such a desirable location and you'd be hard pressed to find much else there you would like to visit.

The amazing thing about the mansion is that despite its reputation it is not as overblown and massive as you are made to believe. Instead it is very much a liveable, comfortable family house. Even The King's apparent design faux pas aren't that over the top. Or maybe it was just me finally getting in touch with the Hawaiian shirt part of my personality. I found the likes of the Jungle Room or his TV room more in line with general 1970s fashion sense than a symbol of a star's overblown excesses. OK, the pool room *is* pretty wacky alright!

There are two types of tickets available. The first one gives you access to Graceland and limited access to anything else. The other more expensive one ($25 if I remember correctly) allows full access not only to the mansion, but also to the automobile museum, his planes (Lisa Marie and Hound Dog Two) and the separate Sincerely Elvis exhibition.

Let's face it: More likely than not this will be your one and only visit to Graceland for quite some time, so there's no reason to save a few bucks on tickets. Needless to say, you'd be foolish not to go for the whole hog.

Some of the most impressive rooms are The Hall of Gold and The Big Room. If the spirit of the King doesn't hit you there, it never will.

You can walk along the mansion at your own speed under the guidance of an excellent CD guide. You are not allowed to bring bags of any kind, so leave them behind but do not forget your films like I did!

Don't forget to also check out my Travelogue.

• Museum Visits
    • Architecture

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo

I'm going to Graceland

by richiecdisc Written May 6, 2009

Graceland exterior

I'm a little ashamed to say I did not visit the Civil Rights Museum or Sun Studios, but spent a good half day at Graceland during my 18 hour tenure in Memphis. Well, after spending $64 for two PLUS $8 to park, I wasn't about to hurry my way through it, was I? It was pretty steep, especially when our daily budget for food/accommodation/gas was $50. But Graceland is a pilgrimage of sorts of any rock and roll fan and the opulence of Elvis' later years is voyeuristic intrigue unto itself. Besides, my wife's mother is a HUGE Elvis fan and we couldn't rightly show her trip pictures without some of her favorite singer's house. To be honest, it is a huge exhibit and you could spend an entire day there much like Disney World if you were a big fan. What makes it particularly appealing is you can take as many photos as you like. I even think you were allowed to use a flash.

• Museum Visits
    • Castles and Palaces

• Graceland

by peach93 Updated Mar 21, 2005

Graceland Main Entrance

Graceland is on the outskirts of Memphis and you will have to drive or hire a private tour to get there. It is a good idea to buy tickets over the phone in advance as this will allow you to avoid waiting in long lines to buy them as well as to avoid waiting in line for the shuttle bus to bring you to the main house from the reception area.

Surprisingly to me, the house itself is not at all like the celebrity homes one sees on "E" and the Travel Channel. It is much more like a regular home and you definately get the sense that real people lived their lives there, so much so that during my visit I often felt as if I was intruding on someone's privacy.

Flash photos are not allowed in the house, but they are in the yard and on the grounds including at Elvis's gravesite which is located beside the house. Also beside the house is Elvis's Hall of Gold Records. This building houses all of the King's gold records along with his film memorabilia and some of his stage costumes. I found the latter especially interesting because they give a real indication of Elvis's actual size and shape. He was not a very large man, as one would obviously assume.

For an additional price to the house admission one can also see Elvis's personal aircrafts, the The Lisa Marie and The Hounddog II. There is also an opportunity to see The Elvis Presley Automobile Museum which houses the King's famous 1955 pink Cadillac and many other cars and motorcyles.

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

by Kaspian Updated Dec 22, 2011

Graceland (2011)

"...And it was in this room, Elvis entertained friends around the piano in the morning before he tragically passed away later that very day at the age of 42." The headphones used for the self-guided tour of Graceland are telling the story of the workout building behind the mansion. I look at the piano and brown leather furniture, imagining people singing and having fun, and I suddenly feel an unexpected pang of grief; I know this narrative is coming to and end just as the tour is. I walk down a few stairs into a large room which used to be a squash court. Many of Elvis's rhinestone-studded white jumpsuits are stored here in glass cases; the far wall is hung from floor to ceiling with gold and platinum records. The headphone narrative continues, but this time it's Lisa Marie, Elvis's daughter, speaking, "I remember as a little girl watching my father on stage and he would take my breath away every single performance--I thought he was the most wonderful man in the world! When I was told of his death, all I could think was 'What is the world going to do without Elvis Presley? ...Without my dad?!'" This proves too much for me and I rip the headphones off as tears well in my eyes. A woman recalling her feelings as a little 9-year girl when she lost her father is apparently my emotional breaking point and I have to leave this room now and go outside for some air.
    And it's a beautiful, sunny day here in Graceland! I step out of the squash court into the bright daylight of the "Meditation Garden"--an area of greenery, rosebushes in full bloom, a few park benches, and a circular fountain which is surrounded by the graves of the Presley family. Elvis is buried here as are his parents and grandmother. There's also a memorial stone for his twin brother, Jesse, who died during childbirth. People are filing slowly around the fountain, pretending to be patient while waiting for their chance to get some closeup photos of the King's final resting place. "The King..." "The Memphis Flash..." "Elvis Aaron Presley..." Whatever you call him, he was really a helluva guy.
    I remember exactly where I was when I learned of the death of Elvis. I was 6-years old on a train coming home from Kirkland Lake with my grandma. As news spread throughout the carriages, women broke down in tears. Men tried to tune into stations on pocket transistor radios for details but received mostly static in the desolate area of wilderness. I watched tears stream down my grandmother's cheeks as she sobbed quietly. Everyone on the train was sad. I knew vaguely who Elvis was, knew he was important, but played with a set of plastic toy spacemen so I wouldn't have to consider the sorrow around me.
    You're not allowed to take video of anything on Graceland property but I decided in advance that I was going to break that rule because it's just plain stupid. But I also decided that I wouldn't sneak any video inside the house itself out of respect for the man who lived there. ...Even though I get the feeling he probably wouldn't have cared very much.
    Touring the mansion, we visited the living room, dining room, guest bedrooms, the kitchen, the downstairs rec-room, the games room, and the "jungle room". The bright yellow rec-room with three TVs embedded in the wall was my favourite--it looks surprisingly modern, in a gaudy sort of way.
    Back in the "Meditation Garden," I overhear a group of older women all agree in disappointed tones that they "always imagined Graceland would be much bigger". The tall white pillars at the front of the building do make it look deceptively large but the truth is I find it reassuring, considering his wealth, that Elvis kept his home life relatively humble. His outdoor swimming pool is about half the size of the ones most regular folk own today.
    I really like this entire estate; it's tranquil, comfortable, and I don't want to leave but a tour of Sun Studios awaits and it's already getting late in the afternoon.
    As I wait for the shuttle to take me back out through the gates, one thought keeps running through my mind: "Wow, I can't believe I was actually in The King's house!" Grandma would have really liked that, I think. I wish she could have been here. ...But somehow I feel she might have been with me.

• vivalasteph's Profile Photo

by vivalasteph Updated Jan 28, 2004

Graceland in the snow

Nothing else in Memphis can or should top anyone's must-see list except Graceland, Elvis' home. What surprises most visitors is the size and modesty of this house. In fact the shopping plaza across the street is much bigger!

You enter a gift shop to buy your ticket, then join the throngs waiting in line to board a shuttle. You are then driven across the street and enter the house. They only allow groups of about 14 in at a time, so you really get to see each room. Only the ground floor and most of the basement is open to the public, the second floor and Elvis' bedroom are private.

In addition, you get to tour the outer builidings, housing his awards, gold records, costumes, etc.

It's a fantastic, well-presented tour, and once you get back across the street to the 'Elvis Mall', just try to not buy something!

• Hopkid's Profile Photo

Graceland - Home of the King

by Hopkid Written Jun 24, 2006

A visit to Memphis would simply not be complete without a pilgrammage to the former home of the King of Rock and Roll, Elvis Presley. A Memphis native, Elvis purchased this home which was built in 1939 and originally named Graceland. Elvis liked the name so much he kept it after he moved in.

Park in the visitor's lot across the street and get tickets to one of three tours. From there you catch a shuttle bus that takes you across the street and drops you off right at the front door. You can purchase a very good audio tour which is helpful because the tours are not guided. There are staff in the rooms who are available to answer questions however. The rooms on the tour have been maintained as they were when Elvis lived there. Overall the rooms are not as garish or tacky as one may have built up in their mind over the years. They certainly weren't to me anyway! Also, the house is much smaller than one would expect considering the crazy-sized mansions a lot of celebrities build these days.

Of particular interest are the Trophy Room and the Racquetball Court which have been convetered to shrines to the King complete with framed gold records, movie memorabilila, video displays, and actual costumes the King wore in movies and during concerts. Lastly there is a visit to the graves of the King, his parents, and his grandmother on the other side of the smallish swimming pool.

Expect to spend 1.5 hours for the basic tour when going to Graceland. It is certainly worth the visit and definitely a must-see for anyone with an interest in rock and roll.

• marinarena's Profile Photo

Experience Graceland as Elvis fan, or otherwise

by marinarena Updated May 24, 2009

room in Elvis' Graceland

It's a given perhaps to think Graceland when in Memphis. Well, it's worth the hype to step inside Elvis' and Priscilla's lovely estate. Great impressions of this grand place have and will last, much more so then the superceleb couple ever did. Exploring inside Graceland is like stepping back and roaming back in time- the 70s to be precise. Antenna TV, velvet sofa, vintage 50s metal furniture and all are featured inside. there is not just the basic living, kitchenm, dining room and bedrooms -but also a music room, trophy room and jungle room (swingin'!).

Try to come during non-peak season, unless you are a big fan. You'll want to come in August for Elvis Week!! Expect longer waits on the summer weekends.

Excuse the darkness of some pics. The best ones are in the travelogue!!!

• Castles and Palaces

• myrtle's Profile Photo

by myrtle Updated Mar 31, 2004

Graceland

What's a trip to Memphis without a visit to Graceland? Well, I'm sure for many visitors Graceland is their reason for the visit to Memphis. I've only been to Graceland one time, and that was only because I had some out of town friends come to visit. I don't get all the hype. It just seems to me like a large house that hasn't been redecorated since the '70s. It was interesting to visit, though. I know a lot of Memphians who have never been to Graceland and have lived here their entire lives. I'm sure it used to be a great neighborhood, but these days Graceland is the only nice thing in the area of town it is in. Those of us familiar with the area were scared to park across the street from it and to be walking around in that area.

Check out my Graceland travelogue for more pictures.

• lashr1999's Profile Photo

by lashr1999 Written Oct 24, 2004

Graceland the jungle room

What more can I add that hasn't already been said. The mansion looks like a family house which was quite livable. It wasn't as big as I imagined it would be. It was decorated in 70's style, one of the rooms was made to look like a jungle. My favorite parts of the tour were the tropy/cd room, the room which shows various costumes and the car museum. The gravesite is free to visit at certain parts of the day, check the website for times. There are different types of tickets available. The platinum ticket gives you access to the mansion, the 2 airplanes, the car museum and the sincerely elvis exhibit. If you don't have enough cash just do the mansion tour. Please remember if you are a student or person over 62, bring in your id to recieve your discounted tickets;)

• Study Abroad

• cruisingbug's Profile Photo

Graceland, of course

by cruisingbug Updated Apr 23, 2004

Vernon's office & Lisa Marie's swingset, Graceland

I never appreciated Elvis' singing and life until I went to Memphis. Graceland is a much more modest house than I imagined - not at all a mansion. And the "Jungle Room" is just the den in back; thought it would be in the basement. The limited-size tours do not take you upstairs, where the King died.
    Elvis' grave on-site is also the resting place of his parents.

• Yasmine03's Profile Photo

Graceland: The Piano At Bi-Level Lounge

by Yasmine03 Updated Apr 5, 2005

The Bi-Level Lounge

In 1975, the Racquetball Building (where the bi-level lounge is) was built as an extension of Graceland. On his last day, Elvis sat at this piano in the lounge to play the tunes and to sing “Unchained Melody” and "Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain” with his friends.

The next day he was found collapsed in his bedroom upstairs. Elvis Presley passed away on 16 August 1977 due to heart failure.

• School Holidays

• Yasmine03's Profile Photo

Graceland: The Mansion

by Yasmine03 Updated Apr 5, 2005

In the garden at Graceland Mansion

Elvis Presley purchased Graceland on 26 March 1957 at $100,000 (USD). He was only 22 years old. He fulfilled his promise to his parents that one day he will buy them a place and that they would not have to work hard to earn a living anymore.

Graceland receives about 700,000 visitors from all over the world every year. On 7 November 1991, Graceland was honoured with a listing in the National Register of Historic Places.

• School Holidays

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Elvis' Graceland

by TravellerMel Updated Dec 1, 2008

Graceland

For many, this is the only reason they need to make a trip to Memphis. Elvis has an allure that transcends the 30+ years since his death.

Graceland is only accessible by tour bus - tickets are available across the street, as are several Elvis museums, exhibits, and gift shops. The tickets run from $27 for the mansion tour only, up to $68 for the VIP Tour (check out the website to see what all that entails). For myself, I enjoyed the Platinum tour, since I found the tour of the airplanes Lisa Marie and Hound Dog fascinating.

From the moment you are driven through the famous music scroll gates, you are transported to the world of Elvis. I will note here that I AM a fan - my mother was a fan and I was raised on his music. But I believe that you would enjoy this tour even if you were NOT a fan. Just because you have heard so much about Elvis and Graceland, seeing the Jungle Room in person will affect you. You get to tour much of the mansion and grounds, eventually ending in the Meditation Garden where Elvis was laid to rest with his parents, aunt, and a centotaph for his still-born twin. It is very moving, and there are always flowers and presents left for him there (teddy bears, Hawaiian leis).

• Women's Travel

Instant Answers: Memphis

Comments

Hotels Near Graceland
3.5 out of 5 stars