Zoo, Memphis

• Elena_007's Profile Photo

The Memphis Zoo

by Elena_007 Updated Mar 27, 2005

Let's Go to the Zoo

The Memphis Zoo is fast becoming a world class Zoo in my opinion. It is one of only four Zoos in America that features giant pandas. There are over 3,000 animal residents, with plans in the works for a new bear exhibit, one of the workers told me on my last visit there. They have animal shows featuring sea lions and others, keeper chats that explain about the animal's habits and personalities, too.

One of the best things about the Memphis Zoo is there is FREE admission to all Memphis residents with proof of identification, on Tuesdays, after 2:00pm. It will still cost you $3.00 for parking though, and the China exhibit featuring our new pandas, is also an extra $3.00, with tickets available at the exhibit, should you decide you would like to see them.

Admission Prices:

Operating Hours:
    March - October 9am - 6pm
    November - February 9am - 5pm
    Closed some holidays

See website below for more details.

• Zoo

• Elena_007's Profile Photo

Cat Country

by Elena_007 Updated Mar 27, 2005

A Lady and her King

Sadly, I can remember when the big cats at the Memphis Zoo where in circus cages, and I couldn't stand going to the Zoo, because my heart would ache for them, having to endure such cramped quarters. I have videos, but no photographs to share of the past days of the Memphis Zoo. Since the multi-million dollar renovation, with the addition of Cat Country, there is a world of difference. I hadn't been in years, nearly decades, and one day I borrowed my friend's digital camera and decided to just go.

I had heard that the animals mainly hide and sleep, and it was difficult to get any good photos of them, but with a little effort, I was amazed at the incredible shots I managed. I did have to go back a few times to get this photograph of the lions, because he was hiding in a cave, but I believe it was worth the extra effort. Not that long ago, a male lion killed his mate during operating Zoo hours, but I am not sure if this is the same male in the photo. Just after I took this shot, he roared ferociously, and the female immediately got up and left his side. He was quite serious, whatever he said to her. Click on the photo to see the entire shot.

Please see my Cat Country travelogue for more amazing big cats at the Memphis Zoo, and the Dragon's Lair for an up close encounter with a real Komodo dragon, and a little too close for comfort shot of a crocodile as I was leaning over the rail to see if there was anything in there. I still quiver when I think of how I could have been lunch! He looked pretty hungry in the photo. I probably took over 100 photographs that day. I had so much fun with capturing the moment, but the battery died after about an hour and a half, so I must go back again for more fun. The Zoo is not just for kids.

• Zoo

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo

by Jim_Eliason Updated Apr 4, 2011

Memphis Zoo

A very nice zoo with an ancient Egyptian motif entrance. My favorite exhibit was the meerkats. The zoo is also only one of a handful in the US with giant pandas.

Instant Answers: Memphis

Comments

Hotels Near Zoo
4.0 out of 5 stars