Nashville Favorites

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo

Posters

by gkitzmil Written Jul 23, 2003

1880 landmark

Favorite thing: On Broadway just doors from many other tourist attractions you'll find the Hatch Show Print Company. They have been printing posters and circulars since 1879! They have a large collection for all to see. And you can buy one for your wall.

From 1925 to 1991, the business was located at 116 Fourth Avenue North.Today, the shop operates as a print shop and graphic arts museum managed by the Country Music Foundation. In addition to reprinting historic posters, Hatch designs and produces, in historic style, new compact disc packaging, poster, and limited edition prints.

You are free to walk in and look around.
    Hours: Open Mon-Fri 9:30-5:30, Sat 10:30-5:30. Closed Sun.

316 Broadway

Fondest memory: Hey, this is the REAL country music history.

• terps94's Profile Photo

Expesnive Parking

by terps94 Written Jun 16, 2006

Favorite thing: I'm not really sure where to put this info but just remember that parking in downtown can be downright expensive. For like the first few hrs it will cost you an average of $6 to $8 so if you are staying in outlaying hotels outside the city just take the cab into downtown and just start walking. The sights and nightlife are within walking ditance from each other

• cjg1's Profile Photo

Music Row

by cjg1 Written Sep 28, 2006

Fondest memory: My fondest memory of Nashville is putting my stamp on the city. I used to work here on my weekends from my job in Alabama. It was here that I built the last of the recording studios that I would do. It was a fun project and I am very happy to have been here and been a part of it all.

• grishaV1's Profile Photo

Real Estate in Nashville: Downtown Demands

by grishaV1 Written Sep 15, 2005

Printer��s Alley and more renovations taking place

Favorite thing: This was a note I found interesting about Nashville. Most people know that a lot of celebrities and music stars live in or around the Nashville area. Mostly country stars and blues, its true, but its evolving into more. In the downtown area, lofts are being offered for sale more often now. One sees lots of renovation work going on above the restaurant or store levels. This reminds me more of Europe, where is rare to see an area which is only business district or shops, without having flats or penthouses above them.

These renovated flats and penthouses in Nashville will be extremely in demand I think, because the downtown area is very nice, lots of things going on, lots of colourful restaurants and peoples always. At 231 Fifth Avenue, for example, buildings offering such for rather moderate prices I thought considering what you get (great location of course!) private access elevators, exclusive parking, security, penthouses with courtyards below, specially designed kitchens and bathrooms. Sounds like this will be wonderful. I really like Nashville although I don´t visit as much as one would like, living in Europe, but if I had the cash, would love to have a flat always there for when I´m visiting. Prices are 119,000 to 699,000 at the moment. Should go up, when more people start buying, and more people seeing and wanting. If you´ve looked at my other tips, you´ll see many fotos of the downtown areas, and its very nice.

The Parthenon

by OlenaKyiv Updated Jul 5, 2007

Inside of the Parthenon

Fondest memory:
    Frankly speaking, I expected much more from this museum from seeing its façade. It might be explained by short time we have spent in the Pantheon (came too late and had only 30 minutes to run through the building). However, I felt excited to see the Parthenon in its real size and shape, it was almost like I visited Greece.

Also this museum is a good place for those who are interested in Greek mythology, for example me. Plaques in the museum give broad information about sculptures with some details from Greek mythology and names; although I think there could be more information than there is.

• Architecture
    • Museum Visits

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

Country Music

by Ewingjr98 Updated Jun 11, 2009

The Country Music Television (CMT) Building

Favorite thing: Country music traces its roots to the 1920s in the South and Appalachia. The term "country" originated in the 1940s, in place of the older "hillbilly" music. Country's most famous instruments come from outside of America: the fiddle is said to originate in Ireland, the mandolin in Italy, the guitar in Spain, and the banjo in Africa.

During the Great Depression, radio shows featuring country music became popular. This boosted the popularity of the Grand Ole Opry, which began broadcasting in Nashville in 1925, and gained popularity i during the 1930s. The Opry's studios jumped around Nashville over the years, finally settling in the Ryman Auditorium in 1943, where it remained until 1974 when it moved to Opryland.

The Nashville Sound, a blend of pop and country, combined big band jazz and swing with the storytelling of folk and country music. This genre of country music originated in the 1950s in Nashville at the hands of people like Jim Reeves, Patsy Cline, and Eddy Arnold.

Nasville is still home to Country Music Television.

The Partheon's history

by OlenaKyiv Written Jun 24, 2007

The Partheon's columns, Nashhville, TN

Favorite thing:
    The Parthenon building took its beginning in 1895 when Tennessee Centennial organizers lay the first foundation stone of the Nashville Panthenon made of plaster, wood and brick. In 1898 the majority of the building was moved or destroyed. In 1920 architect Russel Hart began the permanent concrete structure of the present Parthenon and completed it in 1925. As a museum the Parthenon was re-opened in 1931.

• Architecture
    • Museum Visits

Cumberland River

by OlenaKyiv Written Jun 25, 2007

A barge on the Cumberland River

Favorite thing:
    Cumberland River flows by through Nashville. It is 687 miles (1,106 km) long. It starts in eastern Kentucky on the Cumberland Plateau, flows through southeastern Kentucky before crossing into northern Tennessee, and then curves back up into western Kentucky before draining into the Ohio River at Smithland, Kentucky.

Fondest memory:
    I had a luck to see a barge on the river. It is rare to see some type of commercial ship on the river of the United States.

• davecallahan's Profile Photo

weather check

by davecallahan Updated Dec 10, 2007

shot from the webcam

Favorite thing: http://weatherbug.excite.com/LiveCameras/Excite/LiveCameras.aspx?zcode=z4639&lid=CTHDR

High up on the buildings of the Tennessee State University, they have placed a weather camera so that you can get real-time information about the conditions in Nashville. Press the link above to access the camera.

• Don_Wright's Profile Photo

Nashville is a vibrant,...

by Don_Wright Updated Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Nashville is a vibrant, beautiful city! It has a great downtown area, situated on the Cumberland River, and the beautiful surrounding countryside!

It has a special quality of a marvelously balanced blend of tradition, and cutting edge. Of it's beatifully well preserved history, and modern. Of old fashioned, and cosmopolitan! And the old, and the new, have taken to each other, right well!

And, Nashville is called 'Music City USA', and rightfully so! It is the heart and soul, of country music, and the music business!

Fondest memory: When I was a young boy, a family trip to Nashville, with my parents and little brother, around 1969! A beautiful spring day in April, on Easter weekend, my dad parked the car in the lot next to the Ryman Auditorium and walked up to the box office to buy tickets for us, for that night's Grand Ole Opry Show. Well my brother and I, never went on a trip, without our baseball gloves and a baseball, to play catch at every opportunity! So we jumped out of the car, and began to throw the ball to each other in the parking lot! Two gentleman came up to me, and said, 'hi son, do you mind if we play catch with you, too?'. I said 'sure'! Oh then my dad came back, as the gentleman left! My dad looked at them, and said, 'do you know, that was George Jones, and Porter Wagoner'! And he was right, because he showed me their photos that night, in the Opry program!

• Nomad_2001's Profile Photo

I attended the grand opening...

by Nomad_2001 Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: I attended the grand opening of the Country Music Hall of Fame on May 18, 2001. This is an absolute MUST see in Nashville. Even a non-fan of country music can appreciate the history of country music and the musicians who have contributed to it.

• Tombanjo's Profile Photo

forget about the stereotypical...

by Tombanjo Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: forget about the stereotypical nashville... it is a fully grown, mature city with *many* things to do... there is a counter-culture scene in nasheville... find it...

Fondest memory: gov't mule blowing my mind... (heh. vt asked...)

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo

there are many faces to Nashville

by gkitzmil Updated Jul 21, 2003

city of many cultures

Favorite thing: Nashville is the country music capital, hosts many stars of other music genres who record in Nashville, has parks and history, and has more adult entertainment venues than any city its size I can imagine. (They tell me the best and classiest is Anthony's put I don't go to those.)

• Nashville has become more...

by sparky_in_tn Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Nashville has become more diverse in it's appeal in the past 15yrs., but music is still its drawing feature. We have several places for people to go and hear some really good locl talent as well as well knowns in different music styles. One of the places most locals know about is the Bluebird Cafe' in the Green Hills area. There are great places to dance as well; most of them are downtown around second avenue.

Fondest memory: Nashville, as with most Southern towns has some of the friendliest people you will find. Now sure there are jerks here too, but as a whole the people here are courteous and helpful.

• DrewV's Profile Photo

Do everything. I mean it!

by DrewV Written Aug 24, 2002

Favorite thing: Do everything. I mean it. Nashville is a city for the senses. Wander through the District and see the historic buildings; stop by the Bluebird or Exit/In and hear the great music; relax in Rotier's and taste the best burgers in the South; if you have a car, head out to the Loveless Cafe and smell the best Country ham in America; and sit on Riverfront Park and feel the pulse of the South's most vibrant city.

Fondest memory: I grew up here, so I've got countless memories. I most miss the genuine friendliness of Nashvillians. Lonely Planet calls Nashville one of the world's most genuinely honest cities in the world. That's my hometown.

Instant Answers: Nashville

Comments

Nashville Favorites

Reviews and photos of Nashville favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nashville sightseeing.