Nashville Off The Beaten Path

Most Recent Off The Beaten Path in Nashville

La Hacienda Bakery and Groceries

by butterflykizzez04 Written May 21, 2014

I needed some bread for dinner tonight and decided to stop in to grab some..This place is really large inside and OMG..there are so many nice bakery items to choose from. I grabbed two large rolls for dinner for .59 cents each. Great buy..and perfect for dinner.

Then in the bakery case , among the beautiful decorated cakes, I decided on a slice of Choco-Flan ..I have never tried it before so I decided to try it. I have been wanting to try Flan..so this looks like the best place to try it.

Also I grabbed an iced cold Pepsi which is a product of Mexico in a glass bottle. To me, it taste somewhat different. I like the taste.

There is also fresh produce, some cooked hot foods and deli area. They have regular staples and candy to choose from. I will definitely shop here again. I want to try some additional bakery items and some cheese products.

I would definitely shop here again. The produce section is not as large as the Hispanic Market closer to my home but I like this one. It is large, less crowded and very clean inside. The gentleman behind the counter was very friendly.

I will definitely go back..I want to try their Tamales !!

Located at: 2617 Nolensville Pike
    Nashville, TN 37211

Ava and Zoe's

by butterflykizzez04 Written May 20, 2014

Sunday, May 18, Tony and I went to the Farmer's Market and there was this new little booth featuring Ava and Zoe's products.
    They had several different items to try out and sample. They had various fruit spreads, jams and jellies with crackers and cream cheese to check out. I loved the different flavors and tried several.

They also had some wonderful sauces and ketchup to try out and of course to purchase.
    I tried their Jalapeno Ketchup and the Habanera Ketchup..both were very good. I didn't catch the ladies name behind the counter but she had a fry dad and was deep frying fresh waffle fries to try the sauces.

They were so hot, seasoned and fresh and tasted very good with the two spicy ketchups I tried. She was very busy and I didn't see a price on the items but I really considered buying one of the spicy ketchups. I really liked them. Also she had some fruity sauces that would really be good on french toast or pancakes. I liked them all very well.

I hope they are there again in the future. I would definitely recommend them to anyone interested in trying their great homemade products. I liked them very much and will buy one of those spicy ketchups

If you try them out, let me know what you think????

• Singles

Gardens of Babylon

by butterflykizzez04 Written May 19, 2014

I love going to the Farmer's Market and I always go to the "Gardens of Babylon", without fail. I always always stop there. I sometimes don't buy anything, but I always go there and look....

I love the gorgeous flowers and I love the large luscious Green plants, reminding me of the jungle. I wish I could have an indoor room that was full of flowers and greenery. I love the palms.

I wonder if people look at me and wonder who the nut is that is taking all the photos of the pretty flowers..I love them. I love the sweet fragrant smells, and the beautiful colorful blooms.
    Does anyone else take photos there?

• Singles

Moose Head Kettle Corn

by butterflykizzez04 Written May 18, 2014

Sunday at the Farmer's Market at 9am and the smell of the popcorn from Moose Head Kettle Corn was drawing me in.

It is located near the Garden of Babylon entrance in Main Building One. I think it was located somewhere differently in the building. It moves around I guess, but this might be its location for this season.

The smell is great!!
    The price is okay, I guess..Four dollars $4 for a package of popcorn. They have many flavors to choose from. I always lean towards the cheesy popcorn or the sweet popcorn like caramel corn. But, lately I have been enjoying spicy hot and cheesy flavors mixed together.

If you buy three you can get a fourth on free..Maybe if you had several in your group, that is a great bargain. But I always just get one at a time. I actually bought this popcorn at the Grand Opry Auditorium for the first time, while watching a performance there.. and fell in love with it.

But, the price is sometimes out of my pocket book range..depends on want and pocket book...more than NEED...sometimes the WANT wins out...oh well, one less gallon of gas this week...

Nashville City Cemetery

by butterflykizzez04 Written Apr 27, 2014

Sunday, April 27th, Tony and I stopped at the Nashville City Cemetery. I love walking around this cemetery. The tombstones are like works of art. The history behind each name is fascinating to me. I want to know these people. I want to know more about them and my husband says that is weird.
    As a child, I always enjoyed going with my grandparents to visit older family members and even the cemeteries..I guess this is where my desire to know more about the history of people and places and eras began..I guess if that is Weird ..I am weird.

We walked around the entire cemetery and it took us about 45 minutes to enjoy the designs of the tombstones and read some of the markers. The park is so quiet and peaceful. I enjoy going to them, any cemeteries really but especially those with famous President or people or my own personal family.

This cemetery had some lovely Dogwood trees and some Irises growing.
    Have any of you ever took the time to stop and check it out....Grab a cup of coffee or your doggie and go for a stroll or jog in this lovely park. Take a few moments to enjoy the peace and quiet in a all too loud and busy city of Nashville. There is a bathroom there. Also baggies for your poochies doodles...seriously check it out!!!
    The founder of Nashville is Buried here with his family...and some other very important people from Nashville's past..

1001 4th Ave S
    Nashville, TN 37210

LOVE CIRCLE

by butterflykizzez04 Written Apr 27, 2014

Okay, I have been here four years and this was my first trip up the mountain to LOVE CIRCLE..My friend Traci Rogers from work told me about it. So, Tony and I grabbed some coffee and donuts from Krispie Kreme and head up. We were alone up there !!! Can you believe it...well it was 7am...lol!!!
    Tony helped me up over the wall and we climbed the embankment to the top..and sit down on the bench to enjoy the view..and I purposely didn't look back over my shoulder while climbing..because I wanted to experience the ((( AWE ))) when I got to the top and turned around for the first time..
    AWE was exactly right...this view is GRANDIOSO...
    We sit there and just gazed out..watching birds and the squirrels and looking at how PEACEFUL Nashville seems in the early morning hours.
    I will definitely go here a few more times. It was really nice.
    The views amazing and it wasn't that crowded. I loved it..

• Hiking and Walking

The Bang Candy Company

by butterflykizzez04 Written Apr 22, 2014

Wednesday, April 16, Tony and I went to the Marathon Village with Matt, Lora, Janie, Dakota and Ethan to visit the American Pickers Nashville store..while visiting I stepped next door to check out the candy store..and I am glad I did..will definitely go back soon!!!

I was drawn to the store mainly because of the words CANDY on the sign above the door...lol !!! Who wouldn't be.. I was very pleased with the decor of the interior. I love the old buildings refurbished and reused instead of being torn down or going to sheer waste.

I was disappointed that there was no fudge available, but they did have some flavored homemade Marshmallows available for $1 per piece...I bought a piece of homemade salted caramel for $1 and a soda for a $1...
    I will go back again..I want fudge next time

If you are in the area check them out..not really big inside but the great scents of the candy, the sheer aroma will draw you in, even if the name doesn't...

Turnip Truck Natural Foods Market

by butterflykizzez04 Written Apr 6, 2014

Sunday, April 6th, Tony and I was waiting on our Favorite Five Points Pizza to open and we walked up to the corner and went into the Turnip Truck Natural Market..my first visit. We were very pleased ...it reminded me so much of Whole Foods Market on a tiny scale...so if you lived in the area, then this is your place to go.
    When I lived in Germany, I used to shop at a small market like this all the time. They have fresh veggies, fresh meat, tons of choices and even a smoothie maker in the front making fresh fruits and veggie concoctions for $5.50 a pop....Kale is a leading smoothie ingredient I noticed...
    Large high windows allow the sun to stream in and fill up the room making it look larger. The prices are a little high but its the ability to stroll to the market that is the selling point for many dog walkers and mommy strolling walkers...
    I would go again!!!

Take Walk around Historic East Nashville

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 7, 2014

Tony and I enjoying just parking and getting out to walk around neighborhoods. The old homes are gorgeous. I love the architecture.
    I love seeing the Old gates and fences. Seeing the lovely gardens with flowers, bushes and trees.
    I just love walking around and letting my imagination SOAR !!!

Bradley Studios

by Yaqui Updated Sep 15, 2012

The plaque reads:

In 1955, brothers Owen and Harold Bradley built a recording studio in the basement of a house on this site. They added another studio here in an army Quonset Hut, producing hits by Patsy Cline, Red Foley, Brenda Lee, Marty Robbins, Sonny James, and others. Columbia Records purchased the studios in 1962. The studio established its reputation in the music industry with hits by stars including Johnny Cash, Bob Dylan, Roger Miller, George Jones, and Tammy Wynette.

Donated by the Mike Curb Foundation, The Historical Commission of Metropollitan Nashville and Davidson County No. 140 Erected 2011

Located at 34 Music Square West, Nashville TN 37203

Carillons and the Court of 3 Stars

by Yaqui Written Sep 15, 2012

During the Music City Trolley Hop the second time around, the driver lets us get out and take some photo's of Carillons and the Court of 3 Stars.

The Court of 3 Stars is a focal point of the park located at the northern end near Jefferson Street. Made of red, white and blue granite, this area represents the three Grand Divisions of the state - East, Middle and West Tennessee. This is also the site of a 95-bell carillon representing Tennessee's musical heritage. The 95 bells represent the citizens of Tennessee's 95 counties. A 96th bell, known as the answer bell, is located on the grounds of the State Capitol and rings in answer to the 95 bells, symbolizing government answering to the people. The carillons are some of the largest in the world. They play Tennessee-themed songs at the top of the hour, every hour.

Tennessee Flags
    Located on each end of the River Walk are clusters of Tennessee flags. Each cluster contains one large 12 x 18-foot flag, and eight smaller 5 x 8-foot flags for a total of 18 Tennessee flags. The 16 small flags represent Tennessee being the 16th state admitted to the Union June 1, 1796. The two large flags represent the state's bicentennial celebration.

The American flag is not flown in the mall since the park is an extension of the State Capitol, which flies the American flag high above the Bicentennial Capitol Mall State Park.

Pathway of History
    Along the west side of the park, a 1,400-foot Wall of History is engraved with historic events that have occurred over the past two centuries. A granite pylon marks each ten-year period along the wall. The wall 'breaks' at the time of the Civil War to represent the divisive nature of the war on the state.http://www.tn.gov/environment/parks/Bicentennial/historical/index.shtml#mapplaza

Located at Bicentennial Mall State Park 600 James Robertson Parkway Nashville, TN 37243

Batman Building~AT & T

by Yaqui Written Sep 15, 2012

When your exploring the downtown area, just look up and you cannot miss it. Built 1984, at 617 ft (188 m), a 33-story skyscraper and the tallest building in Tennessee.

Owned by Prefco XIV L.P. and built at the cost of $106 Million. Privately owned office building with one of the highest assessed values in Tennessee, the BellSouth tower in downtown Nashville is owned by a Pitney Bowes Real Estate Financing Corp. (PREFCO) limited partnership. Built on 2.7 acres and spanning 30 floors and a nine-level under- ground parking garage, the building houses the Tennessee headquarters of Atlanta-based BellSouth, which signed a 23.5-year lease that concludes in January 2020. The 10-year-old building was constructed at the corner of Commerce Street and Fourth Avenue and includes 690,297 square feet of space.http://businesstn.com/content/land-their-land

"Musica" Statue

by Yaqui Written Sep 15, 2012

LeQuire writes, "Dance is the physical expression of music and the piece is intended to convey that feeling to the viewer in a composition which is simple, exuberant and celebratory. The theme of the sculpture is music, because of the historical and economic significance of the site. This is the heart of Music Row, the area and the artistic activity for which Nashville is best known.http://www.alanlequire.com/musica.shtml

We saw this on the Trolley Tour and there were many snickers about how he said someone puts clothes on them from time to time. It is quite a lovely statue.

Located at Take the I-40/I-65 downtown exit for Broadway, then head south along the interstate on 14th Ave. It will veer to the right, then turn right on Division St. The sculpture is in the traffic circle at the intersection of Division St. and 16th Ave. S.

RCA Studio B

by Yaqui Written Sep 15, 2012

RCA Records established a recording studio in this building in Novemeber 1957, with local offices run by quitarist-producer Chet Atkins. Its success led to a larger studio, known as Studio A, built next door in 1964. Studio B recorded numerous hits by Elvis Presley, the Everly Brothers, Roy Orbinson, Don Gibson, Charley Pride, Jim Reeves, Dolly Parton, and many others. Along with Bradley Studios, Studio B is known for developing "The Nashville Sound."

Located at 30 Music Square West, Nashville TN 37203

John W. Thomas 1830 - 1906

by Yaqui Updated Sep 15, 2012

The plaque reads:

A native of Nashville.
    Forty-eight years in the service
    of the Nashville, Chattanooga &
    St. Louis Railway;
    President for twenty-two years.
    President of the
    Tennessee Centennial Exposition,
    which resulted in securing
    to Nashville this Park.
    A worthy man in all the lines of life.
    An efficient man of affairs.
    An upright and eminent citizen.
    A Christian and a gentleman.
    A friend and a brother.
    This memorial is erected by the employees of the
    Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railway.
    - 1907 -

Erected 1907 by Employees of the Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis Railway.

Located next to the Parthenon 2600 West End Avenue, Nashville TN 37203

Instant Answers: Nashville

Comments

Nashville Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Nashville off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nashville sightseeing.