Nashville Off The Beaten Path

Best Rated Off The Beaten Path in Nashville

Turnip Truck Natural Foods Market

by butterflykizzez04 Written Apr 6, 2014

Sunday, April 6th, Tony and I was waiting on our Favorite Five Points Pizza to open and we walked up to the corner and went into the Turnip Truck Natural Market..my first visit. We were very pleased ...it reminded me so much of Whole Foods Market on a tiny scale...so if you lived in the area, then this is your place to go.
    When I lived in Germany, I used to shop at a small market like this all the time. They have fresh veggies, fresh meat, tons of choices and even a smoothie maker in the front making fresh fruits and veggie concoctions for $5.50 a pop....Kale is a leading smoothie ingredient I noticed...
    Large high windows allow the sun to stream in and fill up the room making it look larger. The prices are a little high but its the ability to stroll to the market that is the selling point for many dog walkers and mommy strolling walkers...
    I would go again!!!

The Bang Candy Company

by butterflykizzez04 Written Apr 22, 2014

Wednesday, April 16, Tony and I went to the Marathon Village with Matt, Lora, Janie, Dakota and Ethan to visit the American Pickers Nashville store..while visiting I stepped next door to check out the candy store..and I am glad I did..will definitely go back soon!!!

I was drawn to the store mainly because of the words CANDY on the sign above the door...lol !!! Who wouldn't be.. I was very pleased with the decor of the interior. I love the old buildings refurbished and reused instead of being torn down or going to sheer waste.

I was disappointed that there was no fudge available, but they did have some flavored homemade Marshmallows available for $1 per piece...I bought a piece of homemade salted caramel for $1 and a soda for a $1...
    I will go back again..I want fudge next time

If you are in the area check them out..not really big inside but the great scents of the candy, the sheer aroma will draw you in, even if the name doesn't...

LOVE CIRCLE

by butterflykizzez04 Written Apr 27, 2014

Okay, I have been here four years and this was my first trip up the mountain to LOVE CIRCLE..My friend Traci Rogers from work told me about it. So, Tony and I grabbed some coffee and donuts from Krispie Kreme and head up. We were alone up there !!! Can you believe it...well it was 7am...lol!!!
    Tony helped me up over the wall and we climbed the embankment to the top..and sit down on the bench to enjoy the view..and I purposely didn't look back over my shoulder while climbing..because I wanted to experience the ((( AWE ))) when I got to the top and turned around for the first time..
    AWE was exactly right...this view is GRANDIOSO...
    We sit there and just gazed out..watching birds and the squirrels and looking at how PEACEFUL Nashville seems in the early morning hours.
    I will definitely go here a few more times. It was really nice.
    The views amazing and it wasn't that crowded. I loved it..

• Hiking and Walking

Nashville City Cemetery

by butterflykizzez04 Written Apr 27, 2014

Sunday, April 27th, Tony and I stopped at the Nashville City Cemetery. I love walking around this cemetery. The tombstones are like works of art. The history behind each name is fascinating to me. I want to know these people. I want to know more about them and my husband says that is weird.
    As a child, I always enjoyed going with my grandparents to visit older family members and even the cemeteries..I guess this is where my desire to know more about the history of people and places and eras began..I guess if that is Weird ..I am weird.

We walked around the entire cemetery and it took us about 45 minutes to enjoy the designs of the tombstones and read some of the markers. The park is so quiet and peaceful. I enjoy going to them, any cemeteries really but especially those with famous President or people or my own personal family.

This cemetery had some lovely Dogwood trees and some Irises growing.
    Have any of you ever took the time to stop and check it out....Grab a cup of coffee or your doggie and go for a stroll or jog in this lovely park. Take a few moments to enjoy the peace and quiet in a all too loud and busy city of Nashville. There is a bathroom there. Also baggies for your poochies doodles...seriously check it out!!!
    The founder of Nashville is Buried here with his family...and some other very important people from Nashville's past..

1001 4th Ave S
    Nashville, TN 37210

Moose Head Kettle Corn

by butterflykizzez04 Written May 18, 2014

Sunday at the Farmer's Market at 9am and the smell of the popcorn from Moose Head Kettle Corn was drawing me in.

It is located near the Garden of Babylon entrance in Main Building One. I think it was located somewhere differently in the building. It moves around I guess, but this might be its location for this season.

The smell is great!!
    The price is okay, I guess..Four dollars $4 for a package of popcorn. They have many flavors to choose from. I always lean towards the cheesy popcorn or the sweet popcorn like caramel corn. But, lately I have been enjoying spicy hot and cheesy flavors mixed together.

If you buy three you can get a fourth on free..Maybe if you had several in your group, that is a great bargain. But I always just get one at a time. I actually bought this popcorn at the Grand Opry Auditorium for the first time, while watching a performance there.. and fell in love with it.

But, the price is sometimes out of my pocket book range..depends on want and pocket book...more than NEED...sometimes the WANT wins out...oh well, one less gallon of gas this week...

Gardens of Babylon

by butterflykizzez04 Written May 19, 2014

I love going to the Farmer's Market and I always go to the "Gardens of Babylon", without fail. I always always stop there. I sometimes don't buy anything, but I always go there and look....

I love the gorgeous flowers and I love the large luscious Green plants, reminding me of the jungle. I wish I could have an indoor room that was full of flowers and greenery. I love the palms.

I wonder if people look at me and wonder who the nut is that is taking all the photos of the pretty flowers..I love them. I love the sweet fragrant smells, and the beautiful colorful blooms.
    Does anyone else take photos there?

• Singles

Ava and Zoe's

by butterflykizzez04 Written May 20, 2014

Sunday, May 18, Tony and I went to the Farmer's Market and there was this new little booth featuring Ava and Zoe's products.
    They had several different items to try out and sample. They had various fruit spreads, jams and jellies with crackers and cream cheese to check out. I loved the different flavors and tried several.

They also had some wonderful sauces and ketchup to try out and of course to purchase.
    I tried their Jalapeno Ketchup and the Habanera Ketchup..both were very good. I didn't catch the ladies name behind the counter but she had a fry dad and was deep frying fresh waffle fries to try the sauces.

They were so hot, seasoned and fresh and tasted very good with the two spicy ketchups I tried. She was very busy and I didn't see a price on the items but I really considered buying one of the spicy ketchups. I really liked them. Also she had some fruity sauces that would really be good on french toast or pancakes. I liked them all very well.

I hope they are there again in the future. I would definitely recommend them to anyone interested in trying their great homemade products. I liked them very much and will buy one of those spicy ketchups

If you try them out, let me know what you think????

• Singles

La Hacienda Bakery and Groceries

by butterflykizzez04 Written May 21, 2014

I needed some bread for dinner tonight and decided to stop in to grab some..This place is really large inside and OMG..there are so many nice bakery items to choose from. I grabbed two large rolls for dinner for .59 cents each. Great buy..and perfect for dinner.

Then in the bakery case , among the beautiful decorated cakes, I decided on a slice of Choco-Flan ..I have never tried it before so I decided to try it. I have been wanting to try Flan..so this looks like the best place to try it.

Also I grabbed an iced cold Pepsi which is a product of Mexico in a glass bottle. To me, it taste somewhat different. I like the taste.

There is also fresh produce, some cooked hot foods and deli area. They have regular staples and candy to choose from. I will definitely shop here again. I want to try some additional bakery items and some cheese products.

I would definitely shop here again. The produce section is not as large as the Hispanic Market closer to my home but I like this one. It is large, less crowded and very clean inside. The gentleman behind the counter was very friendly.

I will definitely go back..I want to try their Tamales !!

Located at: 2617 Nolensville Pike
    Nashville, TN 37211

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Hillbilly Heaven Tour - George Jones' Grave

by TravellerMel Updated Mar 9, 2015

I have a fascination with cemeteries and graveyards, and the graves of famous people. The first time I ever visited Nashville, the tour bus driver gave us a "Hillbilly Heaven" tour of the cemeteries, so I thought I would do something similar here.

George Jones (1931-2013) was a famous country singer and Grand Ole Opry member, known for his hits "He Stopped Loving Her Today", "White Lightning", "The Grand Tour", and many, many others.

GPS (lat/long): 36.11461, -86.7597

Woodlawn Memorial Park & Mausoleum
    660 Thompson Ln, Nashville, TN 37204

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Hillbilly Heaven Tour - Johnny Paycheck's Grave

by TravellerMel Written Mar 9, 2015

Johnny Paycheck (1938 - 2003) was a famous country singer in the 1970s and 1980s, known for his hits "Take This Job and Shove It" and "Don't Take Her, She's All I've Got". Member of the Grand Ole Opry. His grave is in the George Jones Family Plot.

GPS (lat/long): 36.11507, -86.7587

Woodlawn Memorial Park & Mausoleum
    660 Thompson Ln, Nashville, TN 37204

• Nashville dudes on bikes with video cams

by cberry Updated Apr 4, 2011

Just got back from Nashville and had a great time -- Blue Bird Cafe is about as intimate a music venue gets. Also, try "the Five Spot" for proven singer/songwriters as well as great local talent.

This is a bit bizarre but was very useful to us:

Check out www.andysvideoride.com for an entertaining way to see just about anything in Nashville before you go there. These guys ride their bikes with high def video cameras and will film anything you want. Kind of useful if you are not sure about a hotel or area, or I guess if you just can't wait to see something.

Hope that helps -- cberry

• Music

• Mt Olivet Cemetary

by Aerin Written Jan 30, 2004

A huge old cemetery with graves dating back to the Civil War. Also has some very interesting and beautiful carvings, such as this one in a mausoleum.

cemetery angel

• horsinround2's Profile Photo

Break-dancin' for tips???

by horsinround2 Written Jun 8, 2008

I haven't seen this since the 80's in California!!! But, there they were, right on the corner of 2nd Ave. and Commerce and drawing quite a crowd. I guess everything old really is new again!

• Music

• pasqualeswife's Profile Photo

Ashland City Library

by pasqualeswife Updated Feb 12, 2005

Just 30 Miles NW of Nashville is the cute Mayberryesque little town of Ashland City. The library in Ashland City features murals in the childrens' section painted by none other than........me.

Red Riding Hood

• pasqualeswife's Profile Photo

More Ashland City Library

by pasqualeswife Updated Feb 12, 2005

While in the library, take a look at Hansel and Gretel. You will also find Rip Van Winkle, Robin Hood, Huckleberry Finn and the Ingalls family from the Little House series.

Hansel and Gretel

Instant Answers: Nashville

Comments

Nashville Off The Beaten Path

Reviews and photos of Nashville off the beaten path posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Nashville sightseeing.