International, Nashville

4 out of 5 stars 41 Reviews

El Rey: El Rey on 2nd Downtown

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 3, 2014

This restaurant is located a few blocks from my work area in the Bat Building ...so I have been here a few times to pick up some carry-out to take back to my desk in the office..but today I had a split schedule which gave me some time to have a leisurely lunch and go inside, sit down and enjoy my meal slowly..and it was worth it..

I didn't realize how large the actual dining area was until now. I was taken to a small area secluded and off from the kitchen..not sure if it was the best location but if you were on a date or wanted to eat unnoticed ..this was the place to be seated.

I ordered a lunch express meal with taco, beans and rice. It was very good. The waiter was very pleasant and fast. I ordered a soda and they brought me some chips and salsa. The food was good and hot and I enjoyed it so much!
    I would love to go back again!! When my daughter comes down here again, I am definitely going to have to take her here ..she will enjoy it so much!

• Beer Tasting

Pupuseria Salvadorena: Pupuseria Salvadorena

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 3, 2014

Well this was my first visit here but will not be my last.
    I wasn't sure what to order..but I decided to try the Pupuseria Mixed the one with the pork, cheese and beans..and I took the four tacos for $5 to go..2 beef and 2 chicken...omg...it was all so good...
    the salsa verde was delicious and homemade.
    The pupuseria was so delicious...

I loved every bite of my meal...took me a slow 2 1/2 hrs to finish it. I took it home as carryout and I will definitely go back..
    Highly recommend to all..can't wait to go back....
    also FRESCA in the bottle...that was definitely a reminder of the past...loved Fresca as a kid growing up in West Virginia...

Chipotle Mexican Grill: Chipotle Mexican Grill near Vanderbilt

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 3, 2014

My first time here... and it reminded me of Moe's..
    I had an hour lunch today, don't get that very often...my co workers wanted Taco Bell, but I wanted something more!!!
    So I thought what? what? what? I was driving in the Vandy area and saw Chipotle ...never been so I swung my van into the parking lot and went in. The line wasn't too long, gave me enough time to check out the overhead menu.

I opted for the chicken burrito bowl with brown rice, and black beans, with corn relish, pico, guac, fajita veggies and cheese...then I also got chips and salsa to go with a side of two different salsa...right at $10 not bad...

this was to go back to my work cube...so by the time I got there, it was cold..not their fault
    wish I had eaten there, would have been much better served hot

I would go again! Reminded me of Moe's.

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Tokyo Japanese Steakhouse: Sushi/Hibachi/Yummy!

by TravellerMel Updated May 11, 2011

My friend and I came here because she had a Groupon - and thank goodness she did! The restaurant decor is elegant, and the restaurant is separated into bar/restaurant/hibachi/sushi bar areas. We sat at a booth in the restaurant, and ultimately ordered mai tais and the steak hibachi. The service was wonderful and the food was very good. It was a very nice meal, but thank goodness for the Groupon, because (after the $30 credit) it still came to $20 each...

Favorite Dish: We both had the steak hibachi for $17.95 each, which came with miso soup, salad (with some semi-sweet orange goopy dressing), two shrimp, rice, and the steak hibachi with the grilled onion, cucumber, etc. It was really tasty and the portion was large, but not obscene...

• maryinutopia's Profile Photo

Kobe Steaks Japanese Restaurant: A Different Kind of Japanese Steakhouse

by maryinutopia Updated Apr 4, 2011

Smile!

Japanese - without sushi....hmmmmm... OK, this was a strange experience. First of all, my daughter has eaten at quite a few of the Kobe Japanese restaurants and this is not a part of that chain. They make you take your shoes off and you have to crawl into chairs that are NOT attached and have no legs. One gentleman hurt himself trying to get out of his. It has hibachi which was very good to eat although not so much on the showmanship. Our cook seemed to just be there...kind of bored. The waitress was nice enough although she seemed to get insulted when you didn't understand something she said. The prices were about average but I would give it 2 stars for ambience.

Favorite Dish: I had lobster and filet. It was awesome. I guess that's what really counts but I was so looking forward to sushi that it was a bit disappointing.

Greek Deli: All-You-Can-Eat Greek Lunch Buffet

by TravellerMel Written Feb 25, 2011

All you can eat lunch buffet, including a soft drink, for $8 (including tax)! The buffet is quite tasty - chicken shawarma (which is addictive), gyro meat (lamb & beef), tabouli, pita, bean salad, hummus - and a lot of other stuff I couldn't identify, but tastes really good! The owner, Sam, is very gregarious and always says "Hello! Welcome!'' when you come in, and "See you tomorrow" when you leave.

Not open really late (I think he closes at 7pm), but a great deal for lunch. The lunch buffet is open until 1:30pm.

Favorite Dish: I don't know what he puts on the chicken shawarma, but put that on the pita with that yogurt sauce, and it is incredibly good! And, (I don't know why), the tater tots with onion is REALLY good!

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Panda House: Avoid at all Cost!

by TravellerMel Written Feb 9, 2011

Very close to my office, we actually started to go to Subway but the smell of Chinese food was enticing, so my companion and I walked next door to Panda House.

One of your standard fast-food Chinese restaurants - you order at the desk, then sit down and they bring the food to you, and the menu on the wall is only photos. They have a lunch special on the printed menu at the counter.

We ordered, and had a seat to wait for the food. It came quickly enough, and was average tasting - not GREAT, not BAD. We were discussing our soon-to-be cancelled trip to Egypt, when out of the corner of my eye, I saw something moving. I put on my glasses and stifled a scream, as a COCKROACH was walking toward me on the wall.

Now, I am the first to admit I have an abnormal aversion to and fear of roaches. In my mind, it walked toward me, stopped and looked me in the eye, thought about it, and continued walking. My companion saw it, and monitored it as it walked away. A few minutes later, her eyes widened and she informed me it was coming back. Again, it looked me in the eye, and this time decided to approach. It started down the wall and as soon as its little legs hit the table, we scrambled to pick up food/purses/coats and move to another table.

At this point the waitress asked if everything was OK. My companion pointed out the roach, and the waitress went over to the table and with the rag SHE HAD JUST BEEN CLEANING WITH, she squished the roach.

In shock, we decided we had had enough, and left. On the way out, we saw the state inspection record...

Cantina Laredo: Sophisticated (Yuppie) Gourmet Mexican

by TravellerMel Written Apr 14, 2010

Our Boss' choice for his birthday dinner, partly because he wanted for us to know where "The Gulch" is. The restaurant is very elegant - does not feel like a Mexican restaurant. Quiet for lunch, but has a very sophisticated ambiance. Prices are slightly more than a "real" Mexican restaurant, but they obviously use high quality ingredients, and it shows. We had a lovely lunch there.

Favorite Dish: I had the Tortas de Carnitas, which came on mini buns with sliced tomato and avacado, and sweet potato fries. It didn't look like much on the platter, but were very filling (I could only eat 2 of the 3 on my plate). I also had the frozen Mango Margarita, which was very strong, and very good.

My companion had the Enchilada de Mole, which she described as spicy, and she liked it. She also had a frozen Pomegranite Margarita, which was tart but tasty.

Boss had Chicken Flautas, which he seemed to enjoy very much.

McNamara's Irish Pub & Restaurant: Irish Pub in Donelson

by TravellerMel Updated Apr 2, 2010

McNamara's

Loved it here - dark woods, very clean. Service was very friendly and quick. Nice bar area to wait for your table or for other members of your party to arrive. They have Guinness on tap, as well as Bass, Harps, Smithwick's and Hard Cider.

Live traditional Irish music Thurs - Sun

Favorite Dish: I had the fish and chips, which were three balls of fried cod with french fries. Very tasty and just enough. My companion had the salmon patties and she loved them.

4/2/10 - came back for lunch and had the shepherd's pie - it was wonderful! Perfect portion left me full, but not stuffed. My companion had the pear & blue cheese salad with raspberry vinaigrette, and she said it was wonderful. We are really liking this place and will be returning soon! Will get some pics of the inside then.

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Cafe Bosna: Best. Baklava. Ever

by ATXtraveler Written Mar 24, 2010

If you are in search for a great meal, and about 10 pounds on the waistline, head to Cafe Bosna. I love local spots that may not look like much from the front, but put their effort into great food. I followed instructions, read all the reviews, and ventured away from the airport hotels for this one, and you proved me right again.
    As advertised, the owner was there preparing meals while her two helpers were the waiter and food prep staff. All three greeted me, told me about the specials, and then let me know which of the menu items they were sold out of...luckily, I am not a huge sauerkraut fan, so I did not miss out on its absence. One thing I was not informed of, but overheard at the end is that there is a tasting menu, which I made me almost eat a full second meal!
    I had the stuffed cabbage, which was just perfect, good sauce, seasoned beef with rice and tender cabbage wrapped around it. I would almost call it a Bosnian Spring Roll! Other options could have been stuffed onions, grape leaves, or bell peppers.
    The warm pita bread had a nice herb baste and delicious flavour, especially when mixed with the cucumber sauce.
    Then, without further ado... you MUST save room for dessert. Have a Bosnian coffee and the baklava. Best. Baklava. Ever.

Favorite Dish: Stuffed Cabbage with warm Pita.... and then the Baklava.

Gerst Haus: Excellent German Food & Bier

by TravellerMel Updated Mar 9, 2010

Signage

I've seen the Gerst Haus many times in the year-and-a-half I've lived in Nashville, but this is the first time I've been inside. It won't be the last though, as the service was prompt, the food was good, and the atmosphere was wonderful. Dark wood decor with animal heads give it a Bavarian pub feel.

*UPDATE - went back the next day with a group. After 6pm on Saturdays, there is a live Oompah band - what fun! They took requests - the only polka song I could think of was "Roll Out the Barrels", and they played it! :-)

Favorite Dish: My friend and I split the Gerst Haus Sampler Dinner for $20 - we got the Jager Schnitzel, Goulash with spaetzel, and beef stroganoff, plus sides of red cabbage and cucumber & onion in a sweet creme sauce. Everything was absolutely delicious and served piping hot.

Fine selection of beer on tap - my friend had a German beer which I can not pronounce nor spell. I had a Woodchuck cider...

• Beer Tasting

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

Rosario's: Fresh Mex

by Bunsch Updated Jul 31, 2009

See the sunny terrace?

Picture a sunny day, not too humid, and a big group of hungry people who need to have fun while sating their appetites. Picture a pleasant terrace, immense bowls of freshly made guacamole, icy Coronas, Margaritas large enough to swim in. (You can picture being indoors if you like. They serve in there, too. But hey, I was there on this sunny day, etc.) Picture a menu which has all the usual favorites, plus some interesting twists. I have a feeling you'll be imagining Rosario's.

Favorite Dish: My niece the vegetarian swears by Eli's Tofu Burrito. I tried the mole chicken enchiladas -- admittedly an acquired taste -- and thought they were excellent

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Flyte World Dining & Wine: Happy Hour!

by TravellerMel Updated Jan 23, 2009

Came here with a Meet-up group for happy hour - Skyy Cosmopolitans for $5?? Awesome! Service in the lounge was stellar - once we moved to the restaurant, not so much. I found the prices to be on the expensive side. I ordered an appetizer of pork spring rolls with chili sauce - the sauce was wonderful, but the spring rolls were greasy, and filled with ground pork. That's it. Nothing else. No bok choy, or shredded carrot, or anything I usually associate with spring rolls.

Again, the lounge area was fun and loud, but the restaurant was half-empty but still very loud. You can tell from the menu and decor that Flyte is trying to be a hip, cool upscale restaurant, but absolutely none of it appealed to my personal esthetic. The exposed pipes in the ceiling, the horrid colors - none of it.

Oh well - at least the cosmos were good!

• Wine Tasting

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Istanbul Restaurant: The. Best. Hummus. Ever.

by TravellerMel Written Nov 6, 2008

Again, a recommendation from a co-worker. What a find! It doesn't look like much inside, but it is clean and comfortable. The staff is very friendly and happy to make recommendations for you.

Very easy parking, both in front and on the side of the building.

We both agree that we have to go back and try more off the menu - the food was simply that GOOD.

We each had a drink, split TWO appetizers, each had a meal, and split three desserts. The total came to $13 per person. I can't think of a better deal!

Favorite Dish: The iced tea is a special blend of three teas - one of which is Turkish. The result is an almost spicy tea with a wonderful mellow flavor.

We split orders of stuffed grape leaves, which were wonderful, and truly the best hummus I've ever had. We each ordered the "Barry's Special", which is a gyro sandwich, I had fries, my coworker had the rice, and a drink. The gyro was stuffed full with meat and that wonderful yogurt sauce - I swear I'll be dreaming about it!

We were so full at the end of the meal, but we got dessert to go - a baklava, a turkish cookie, and something that was like a cookie in that baklava syrup. OMG is all I can say.

Next time - Turkish coffee. We were just soooo full this time...

• HotRodEtte's Profile Photo

Virago: Eat sushi while seeing & being seen

by HotRodEtte Written Mar 13, 2008
    sushi at Virago

Virago is a trendy and ambient place to dine on excellent sushi while checking out some of Nashville's glamourous crowd. A little on the pricey side but a nice splurge nonetheless. Darkened rooms with candlelight, house music playing in the background and a stylish bar gives Virago a sexy and trendy atmosphere.
    This place was very comparable to a great sushi restaurant we have at home in the Detroit area (see Crave Lounge on my Detroit page!).

Favorite Dish: We sampled several different rolls, however I really liked the fire crunch, which was a roll topped with spicy mayo. I can't remember what was in everything since we had 3 rolls that we shared between us, however I strongly recommend this one if you like a little spicy kick in your sushi rolls.

Instant Answers: Nashville