International, Nashville

4 out of 5 stars 41 Reviews

• International: for REAL mexican or great thai food

by melamela Written Jan 1, 2008

for great AMAZING thai...
    Siam Cafe. i cannot overstate how good the food is, if you like thai food. i haven't had better. if you don't like spicy food you can order soemthing not-so-spicy and it will remind one of chinese food ...well somewhat. If you like spices but have no desire to clear your sinuses, that's cool...they ask how spicy you want the entree when you order. I like medium, my cousin and husband love it HOT, my mom and aunt liked it mild. It has been in business since 1978, and it has a sister restaurant run by the same family called Siam Cuisine, on White Bridge Road.

Favorite Dish: here are some menu choices.
    appetizer-spring rolls, tiger tear (grilled meat with a sweet dippin sauce) tom ka kai ( a soup with chiken and coconut lemongrass broth, VERY good) siam salad (leafy romaine with onion, red pepper, cucumber,tomato,poured over with a rather sweet and spicy curry peanut sauce)

dinner- ~chicken hung ray, (chicken with ginger and curry cashew and coconut milk)
    ~beef snow peas (well, onion and beef with tender snow pea pods, it's rather mild no curry and taste like its cooked with soy sauce) green curry (pick your meat, coconut milk basil and green pepper) moo pou pao prig (it's pork and like insanely hot, jalepeno and soy with onion...very good but i cannot recall which other vegetables, sorry)

desserts-i've had the banana things, they are little slice of banana wrapt in delicate phyllo dough anf fried, served drizzled with warm honey and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
    i have had many friends rave on it and have taken family from out of town come try it and no one has disliked it. not cheap, entrees start at 8.95 but not too steep either.

• terps94's Profile Photo

Bound'ry: Great food and wine

by terps94 Written Jun 5, 2006

My friend suggested this restaurant because of it's extensive wine list and she's right about that. The wine list itself is two pages long so I'm sure you can find one that appeal to your taste. They also have a quite selection of beers from local to imported so drink up.
    Even though the palce is a bit pricey it's well worth and if you just want to drink wines or beers this is a good place for you.

Favorite Dish: I order the Sesame Seared Duck Breast - With Asian confit, ginger scallion potato cake, Thai marinated slaw, and grilled vegetable ketchup it was good. My friend ordered the Panella and she said it was wonderful.

• ocicat's Profile Photo

The Horn of Africa: Ethiopian

by ocicat Updated Dec 17, 2005

(I've just discovered that the restaurant is under new ownership and I haven't checked it out again. Hopefully, it will be just as good as before.)

The restaurant is a gathering place for expats of Ethiopia and Sudan. Portions are hearty and delicious. One seating section offers the traditional Ethiopian table... large upright baskets.

Favorite Dish: Lega Tibs -- beef tips, tomato and peppers in a special sauce. Mild. Duro Wat - chicken in a hot red sauce.

The injera is an experience of it's own. It's wonderful!!

Three That I Liked: Asian Restaurants

by grishaV1 Updated Sep 19, 2005

Dragon Garden at 2817 West End 615-329-2019, basicallz 10,30am til 10,30pm Mon-Thurs, and til 11,30am on Friday and Saturday. Prices are really cheap, ambout 3,95 to 4,25 for lunch specials 10,30am-3,00pm daily. Dinner prices up to 9,95 for seafood chef´s special depending on amount ordered. Its a smaller take-out/delivery place run by a family. Very popular with the university students. (Delivery/Carry out)

Golden Coast Restaurant at 1722 West End, 615-321-8882, has buffet, but buffet is only Sat and Sun I believe that one is 8,35 per person. Its great, on it there is crab legs, steamed and fried fish, squid, lobster...If you like seafood, its perfect! Prices overall for other menu items are about a dollar more than Dragon Garden, but quality was better. I had the Mongolian Beef Szechuan style, very spicy. It was absolutely delicious. They were very nice people too, Yun Feng and Annie Yeh, I lost my keys somewhere along the avenue and they were very helpful to find them with me. It was late afternoon and they weren´t busy, so it helped me a lot!! (Carry out or dine in)

P.F. Chang´s China Bistro is more expensive, more eclectic, a fashionable place, and the choice I would make if going out to a nice evening with special friends or visitors. They have two locations in Nashville, at Cool Springs Blvd, then the one we went to at 2525 West End 615-329-8901. Their special claim to fame is they cater specially to athletes as well. A special section of the menu is combinations of ingredients fresh fish, chicken, beef, seafoods that endurance training really needs to be healthy. Nutritional values are displayed. Prices reflect!! Most dinner menu items are 10,95 and up. My favorite items were the specialty teas like Citrus Spice, White Tangerine and Sweet Giner Peach. Even though Nashville was really hot, above 35°C most days, the restaurant inside was cool enough to have tea. (carry out and dine in)

Favorite Dish: Chinese Restaurants. Whenever I am traveling, or well anytime, I like Asian foods, Korean especially or Japanese, but Chinese will do as long as its spicy Szechuan, my favorite. However! Not any slight to the Asian peoples, but its very important to me to be certain of the cleanliness, and quality of the ingredients (been sick before!). If its looks a "shady" place, I give it a pass. Three I found that I liked very much with moderate prices, having gone in and spoken with the owner and/or chefs, had a look over the kitchens if I could, and felt satisfy I was not taking my life into someone elses hand.

Valentino´s and ZOLA´s: Italian/Mediterranean Dining

by grishaV1 Updated Sep 14, 2005

West End Avenue headed towards downtown

Italian/Mediterranean Restaurants. Pasta is a favorite of mine, though my partner is allergic to seafood, we usually have to go to at least one Italian/Mediterranean place wherever we travel.

Valentino´s Ristorante at 1907 West End is extremely popular and recommended by most guides to Nashville, 615-327-0148. It has many awards for service and menu, and what´s most important, an Italian friend who lives in Tennessee said its one of the closest places to get really Italian food in the area. Venetian to Milanese, seafood fettucine, veal saltimbocca, pastas of all kinds with authentic sauces and wines, and much more, see www.valentinosnashville.com

ZOLA´S is also much awarded restaurant started by Debra Paquette, she´s been on "Great Chefs" television series. Its a really good show, and I noticed it still comes on Discovery Channel in the USA in the late afternoons. Her dishes combines French, Italian and Spanish influences. But also includes Moroccan and Greek tastes as well. Seafood is a speciality and very fresh, flown in daily. Reservations, they say are suggested but not required. Its popular, and if you really have a special dinner arranged, call ahead to reserve. Its open only for dinner Mon-thurs 5,30pm-10pm or Fri and Sat, 5,30pm-11pm. Expect to pay for what you get, average is around 18,95+ for entreés. Its at the corner of West End Avenue and 29th Avenue South. 615-320-7778. www.restaurantzola.com

Favorite Dish: Pasta Puttanesca is my favorite most any place, I like the combination of black and green oliven and anchovies.

The Melting Pot: Swiss Fondue American Style

by grishaV1 Updated Sep 14, 2005

The Melting Pot is also downtown at 2nd Avenue North 615-742-4970, based on the Swiss idea of fondue pots but changed for American tastes basically. This place I stepped inside to get an idea of what it was about, you immediately walk downstairs to a basement lounge/restaurant type setting. Its very nice and cozy. The fondue pot is brought to your table, and seasoned by the server to your own taste. I am not a great fan of cheese at all, or dairy products, but my friends just went wild for this. Cheeses, they assure you, are aged and creamy to perfection. And whatever entreé you order is cooked to your taste, with coq an vin fondue, mojo fondue, fondue court boullion or fondue bourguignonne sauce styles.

A basic price is listed of 15,00 for two people, each extra person is 7,50, and your dinner is served in courses. Pacific Rim would be my choice for dinner, teriyaki marinated beef, shrimp, pork and duck along with fresh vegetables. For dessert, you have choices of fresh fruits: strawberries, bananas, marshmallows, cheesecake to dip in wonderful choclate sauces of all kinds. Very important to know the hours at this place! Full Fondue Dinners are Mon-Thursday 5pm-10pm, Friday-Sunday they open at 4pm. Cheese and Chocolate Fondue are ONLY Sunday-Thursday from 10pm-11pm, and Friday and Saturday at 11pm (I assume, they didn´t say specific). Reservations are DEFINITELY recommended because of the limited hours, and the server having to remain at each table. So its a great dining experience, not just eating, but being entertained savoring each taste different from another. Great place!

• Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

Sitar

by Krumlovgirl Written Jan 12, 2005

Wow, this place is great. It's tiny and there's sometimes a bit of a wait, but the food is wonderful. You get plenty of it, too, and every time I have eaten there the service has been top-notch. They always seem to be glad that we are there.

Favorite Dish: Remember that the vindaloo is hot. And I mean HOT. I always go for the lowest denominator, when in most Indian restaurants I can handle the medium. I especially like the samosas, spicy and evenly techtured.

• Krumlovgirl's Profile Photo

Melting Pot

by Krumlovgirl Written Nov 16, 2004

I LOVE the Melting Pot. So wonderful...Yes, it's expensive, and yes you generally have to have reservations, but what a wonderful dining experience. You have to be into fondue though! (And it's not just about cheese!)

Favorite Dish: I get the "Night on the Town" special, which is served for two. You start out with a choice of cheese fondue. I go with the sharp cheddar. From there they bring all kinds of vegetables (like carrots) and breads for you to dip them in. There's a burner right on the table and everything is prepared there. After the cheese, you are served salads. I try yo skip these because I don't want to fill up. Then you get the entree. They bring in flavored boiling water and a plate of raw meat and you get to cook it yourself. Lobster, tiger shrimp, portabello mushrooms, teryaki chicken, beef, filet mignon...everything under the sun. To end it all, you choose your chocolate (I got for the flaming turtle) and they bring out strawberries, bananas, pound cake, cheesecake, marshmellows, brownies...

Trust me, it's heaven!

• travelteacher's Profile Photo

The Melting Pot: Fondue!

by travelteacher Written Jan 4, 2004

Although The Melting Pot is a Chain, this is the best one I have visited. (The restaurant did just undergo extensive remodeling, and I haven't seen the reveal yet.) They have an extensive wine list that isn't too outrageously priced.

Favorite Dish: I have tried all of the cheese fondues, and the fiesta is the best. They prepare the fondure at your table so you are able to choose what you want/don't want in it. Since I am vegetarian, I have never had any of the entrees.

• butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

Las Cazuelas: Las Cazuelas Mexican Grill

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 3, 2014

First time here. I enjoyed the food.
    I ordered 2 crispy taco with beans and rice on the side
    very good,
    it also had chips and salsa, the order was to go..
    so with tips and taxes spent $8

• Mindy_J's Profile Photo

The Aquarium: Seafood with atmosphere

by Mindy_J Written Jan 11, 2007

familiy came into town

This place has an increadible aquarium that runs throughout the entire restaurant!

Favorite Dish: mushroom chicken pasta.. yeah I know, not seafood, but still increadible

• Singles