Pubs/Microbrew, Nashville

4 out of 5 stars 15 Reviews

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

The Mellow Mushroom: Amazing variety of pizza

by Bunsch Updated Jul 31, 2009

Primo pizza and beer emporium

Billing itself as "an amusement park of pizza", the Mellow Mushroom we visited on 21st Street did indeed offer an astonishing choice of pies and a long, long list of cold beers to drink along with them. It was a pretty eclectic place, with music paraphrenalia and a mural...well, it was funky and fun, and what's not to like about that?

Favorite Dish: We tried three different, exotic pies, but we also had about six different and equally exotic beers, and I cannot for the life of me remember the names of any of them! In short, a fine dining experience!

• travelteacher's Profile Photo

Blackstone Restaurant & Brewery: Microbrew

by travelteacher Updated Jan 6, 2005

The restaurant is cool, and has windows so you can look at the brewing process. The food is ok, and when the restaurant or bar starts to get full, the service slows down, but the beer is worth it.

They also have their own parking lot!

Favorite Dish: Beer:
    I like the pilsner a lot; and although I am not usually a fan of dark beers, the porter and stout are pretty good!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo

Mulligan's Pub & Restaurant: An Irish Restaurant with Canadian Music!

by Bwana_Brown Written Mar 27, 2004

Mulligan's Pub

On our final night in town, nine of us (4 Americans and 5 Canadians) went to Mulligan's Pub to discuss our voting strategy for the important meeting that was to be held on the final day of the session. We stumbled upon the place after first trying the two micro-brewery restaurants on 2nd street that I had found to be quite agreeable on my last visit. However, even though this was a Wednesday night, they were too crowded to immediately find seating for a group of our size. In the end, we had a great time at Mulligan's. We noticed that their lone singer was wearing a T-shirt with a Canadian flag on it and he certainly did not seem to have an Irish accent! It was confirmed when he began singing the classic blue-collar Canadian songs written and made popular by Stompin' Tom Conners, a native of Prince Edward Island! We gave him a rousing hand for that!

Favorite Dish: I decided to keep it simple with a good old Irish Shepard's Pie (US$11). This is comprised of ground beef, green peas, carrots and onions topped with Colcannon potatoes and cheddar cheese - served with a side of gravy. The Colcannon's are a chunky mashed style, mixed with shredded cabbage and butter and spiced with mace. It was really good, and a couple of pints of Irish Red (US$4 each) did not hurt either!

• Business Travel

• Laurien's Profile Photo

Blackstone Brewery: Don't miss Blackstone Brewery

by Laurien Written Jul 21, 2008

This was the culinary highlight of our trip! Located at 1918 West End Avenue, out of the crazy tourist-ridden downtown area, Blackstone Brewery had a welcoming atmosphere even when it also had a 20 minute wait. People waiting for a table can sit for drinks in the bar area and sample some terrific beers that are brewed on the premises, or take a seat on a couch in an elegant yet still low key parlor with couches, dark wood-paneled walls, and a chess table.

The atmosphere was active, but not too loud, and we probably sat in the loudest part--a small table right off the bar area. Our waiter was attentive, but not overbearing, the food was amazing, and the overall experience was great. I just wish this place was closer to home!

Favorite Dish: The food was my main focus, since I am pregnant and couldn't have more than a sip or two of my husband's beer (which was very tasty). I ordered lemon caper chicken which was served on a colorful array of vegetables, all perfectly cooked and seasoned. It was delicious, probably the best chicken dish I have ever eaten. My husband ordered Cajun pasta, which was delicious as well, topped with large shrimp and the perfect amount of spice.

• jelw's Profile Photo

Seanachie: An Irish Break

by jelw Updated Sep 9, 2007

Irish pub and Restaurant

After a number of days of everything focused on country music we were ready for a bit-o-a -break. We found this lovely Irish restaurant and pub. We stopped in for lunch. The food was delicious the ambience just what we were looking for and the staff marvelous.

• Valhalla11's Profile Photo

BIG RIVER Situated directly...

by Valhalla11 Updated Aug 25, 2002

BIG RIVER
    Situated directly across the street from the Hard Rock Cafe and quite close to the river, this is actually a micro-brewery that serves food and drink. The atmosphere was that of a sports bar.

• gkitzmil's Profile Photo

Boscos: Boscos

by gkitzmil Written Aug 24, 2002

local brew pub with really good food in a casual atmostphere. 'Famous Flaming Stone,' brewed by Memphis and Nashville-based Boscos is featured in Michael Jackson’s new book, Ultimate Beer. Trust Jackson or me -- this beer is really unique and very good

Favorite Dish: beeer -- but the food is good, too

• Ewingjr98's Profile Photo

McFadden's Irish Pub - The District

by Ewingjr98 Written May 27, 2009
    McFadden's Irish Pub

McFadden's is one of numerous Irish pubs in Nashville, and one of at least two in the downtown area called "The District." McFadden's is a huge, yet comfortable place to grab a beer or a bite to eat, and they have outdoor seating. They also have a DJ later in the night on Thursdays and Saturdays.

We arrived around 4pm for an early dinner and grabbed two stools on the nearly empty bar. They were out of the first draft beer I requested, so we settled for a Yuengling or something similar. For lunch we had sandwiches; I settled on the unique Nash-Vegas Burger ($9). This big half pound burger is topped with bacon, lettuce, tomato, onion, fried pickles and cheddar cheese. It comes with fried, but on this day they were actually out of regular fries, so I had some good, thinly sliced sweet potato fries.

McFadden's is part of a small chain of Irish pubs that are branded under the McFadden's name as well as Calico Jack's, Sully's, Maker's Mark Bourbon Lounge, Burke's Bar, Turtle Bay, and MJ Armstrong's. Despite the numerous names, there are just 19 locations including Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago, Columbus (OH), DC, New York, Pittsburgh, Las Vegas, Worcester (MA), Cincinnati, and Louisville (KY).

Beyond the Edge: Beyond the Edge - East End Neighborhood

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 3, 2014

First time here and I liked the place.
    The atmosphere was great definitely sports bar all the way.
    Totally full on a Sunday afternoon in October with everyone watching Football on every screen in the joint.
    We seated ourselves in the second room back by the dart boards.
    The place was packed. The outside seating was full.
    The waitress was swamped. She came almost immediately to get our drink order. Tony ordered a bottle of Budweiser and it was two for one..
    I ordered a unsweet tea with lemon and lime.
    Tony ordered Meatball Grinder with curly fries and I ordered Buffalo Chicken Flautas with a side of chips and salsa..

It was good but NOT the best...
    It was typical bar food.
    Everything was frozen and deep fried
    I would go here again!
    I liked the atmosphere..
    Tony could watch football, drink beer and smoke cigarettes..
    he loved it..

Rock Bottom Restaurant: Rock Bottom Restaurant

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 3, 2014

Tony and I hadn't been downtown lately to walk around and eat...so we decided to head downtown to Big River...we love that restaurant..but to our SURPRISE...it was renamed "ROCK BOTTOM"..we asked the Hostess if they restaurant had sold out and she said..NOPE..same owners, same corporation, just a different name..the menu had changed and slimmed down a little bit..
    The same beautiful interior!!! The wait staff looked the same, so we were happy..
    Tony ordered his regular "Budweiser Draft"..but she said...sorry..Bud Light only..so he said "Bud light it is"..we laughed. I ordered my usual unsweetened tea with lemon and lime..

We searched the menu for our regular eats...but they were gone..So we opted to try their Buffalo Wild Wings and the waitress (awesome by the way) said they were good, spicy and wet...just the way she likes to eat them..so we told her..."well that's the way we like them too.." she also included Blue Cheese and Ranch dipping sauces with some celery and carrot sticks..a meal by itself..but we were splitting the delicious wings..by the way..they are good and wet..highly recommend it to all wing lovers..

Then we decided to share a flatbread pizza with homemade dough and sauce. We said we wanted to try the "Italian" with jalapenos on the side..she said..GREAT CHOICES...Beer, Pizza and Wings..she wanted to join us...we enjoyed our waitress...so our meal was awesome..The service was spectacular and the pricing was very good too..$42 with drinks, tip and taxes...The beer was $4.50 per draft and he had two of them..it was the most expensive item...but we would definitely order the same thing again..

The pizza was "to die for", saucy, with pepperoni, cheese, green and red peppers and onions with mushrooms...very good eats!!!
    Can't wait to go again and eat something different..

Burger Republic: Burger Republic - Lenox

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 3, 2014

Saturday at 5pm on April 27th, Tony and I decided to satisfy our Burger NEED!!!
    Location and Size is everything! Tony and I decided to try something new to satisfy our Burger Need..and you know how I like NEW restaurants and trying New Foods. Even though I don't profess to be a big BURGER person, I had a craving every now and then especially since I ate the BEST HAMBURGER IN THE WORLD IN FT SMITH ARKANSAS...so I was game for a new Burger Experience closer to home!!!
    Tony and I arrived about 5pm after I finished working all day downtown and fought the Music City Marathon traffic and party goers to get out of town. So after a long day of work, I was ready for dinner and up for trying something NEW! Tony and I entered the side door and headed up front to the hostess to get seated, and they greeted us quickly and she was very friendly.
    Immediately our server, Jake was at our table smiling and asking for a drink orders and giving us our menus. I asked for a minute and Tony gave me a strange look..."What are you doing?"..I turned over the menu and pointed to all the different interesting names for the micro brewery beers and he shook his head..."NO..why fix something if its not broken" and besides I never like them...so what do you think he ordered...Yep that's right BUDWEISER in a bottle...I pointed out 2 or 3 that sounded really good from the descriptions but could not turn his head..he is loyal to Budweiser...you got to love that!!! I ordered the Unsweetened tea with lemon and lime..I would have loved to try a few of the micro brews but I can't handle beer anymore, so I only get to dream of it...lol !!!
    While Jake was gathering our drink order, we were reading the menu..One of the things we noticed and like immediately..the choices are NOT THAT LARGE...too many decisions can cause issues many times...Quoted by the Great Chef Ramsey..so we like when a menu is simple and offering some really interesting choices..I couldn't decide between three different burgers...1. Chil Chili Bang Bang, 2. Buy the Farm and 3. The Taco Truck...so I had to play "eeny meany mine-ee mow!" to make my decision. The winner was the Taco Truck with French fries and Tony opted to choose "The Fenway" with a side of Tator Tots. So we were happy with our selections.
    Jake brought the food order rather quickly after the drink order, the service here was friendly and fast...and with the customers lining out the door to be seated, we could understand WHY!!!
    Once the food arrived, I took my photos and then began dividing up the food. Tony took half of mine and I took half of his..that's the way we do it and we enjoy trying our foods this way..Tony's Fenway was 100% Angus Beef mixed with Spicy Italian Sausage and seasoning and then topped with grilled onions and peppers with cheese and a Brioche bun..It was very good!!! So juice and grilled to Medium (pink in the middle) perfection. If I could change one thing I would have added a smokey BBQ sauce with a bit of heat to give it that sweet and tangy taste..but truthfully it was very good.
    These burgers looked wonderful So full and tall showing all the toppings and something you would notice on a TV Commercial...they were very EYE CANDY PLEASING!!!! The Taco Truck burger was topped with Pepper Jack Cheese, Jalapenos, Sour Cream, Guacamole, lettuce and tomatoes...and OMG..it was so good!! Right from the first bite...It was like eating a TACO..it was amazing and in fact MY FAVORITE of the two..Now even though both were good and the TACO TRUCK my favorite thus far..when I go back I will definitely try one of the other two burgers that I wanted but had to forfeit. I have to admit, Neither of these were the BEST Burgers I have ever eaten, but they are worthy of a 2 thumbs up and IF you are in the LENOX VILLAGE AREA and want to try a great restaurant with Above Average Burgers...GO TO BURGER REPUBLIC !!!! I will definitely go again !!!

Sam's Sports Bar & Grill: Sam's Sports Bar & Grill

by butterflykizzez04 Updated Feb 3, 2014

This was our second visit to Sam's...and both visits were WONDERFUL!!!
    The restaurant is huge and very roomy. It is dark inside more of a sports bar atmosphere but the food is very good. Not your typical bar fare...and there are so many Televisions located around the establishment..Tons of them.
    There is a full bar, large and fully stocked. There are tons of tables and huge booths to accommodate large groups to watch their favorite sports teams.
    The ladies are lovely. They are running around in REFEREE style uniforms, which are very becoming and NOT too revealing like Hooters, but the girls are every bit as lovely !!!
    Our waitress was in training and being shadowed by a more experienced waitress..both very young college age girls. I didn't catch their names but they were both very efficient and friendly. Tony ordered his usual Budweiser in a bottle ( they didn't have it on draft) and I ordered Unsweetened Iced tea with Lemon/Lime.
    We sit in a huge booth ample enough to accommodate about 6 people comfortably, 8 if you wanted to mush in together..
    The wood booths are dark oak wood and the high top tables scattered around the area have the very nice cushioned black vinyl seats to make it more comfortable on your tushy while you spend hours there drinking watching football or basketball or some other sport of your liking. They have DTV so they walk around changing channels at the request of the patrons.

Tony and I opted to order two different sandwiches and then 1/2 them up to share and experience different sandwiches. We ordered the Cajun Spicy Grilled Fish Sandwich on Sesame Seed Bun with tomato, lettuce and onions and a spicy sauce..it was served with Ruffles Plain Chips..you can substitute or soup or salad for an additional $1.99 but we took the chips.
    I chose the second sandwich ..the Grilled Chicken Breast with honey mustard sauce, swiss cheese, tomato, onions and lettuce and again served on a Sesame Seed bun with some Ruffles Plain Chips..
    Both sandwiches were AWESOME!!!
    A leader in both their own unique classifications..I would say this was the BEST GRILLED SPICY FISH sandwich I have ever had. I don't like deep fried and This was delicious ...I wish I didn't have to share it with TONY...lol and the 1/2 of the Grilled Chicken Sandwich was AWESOME too..so tender and flavorful. I would eat it again!! But I would choose the Fish first..Tony enjoyed them both also..I ate a few of my chips because IT IS HARD for me to pass up Plain Ruffles..they are my favorites..
    My lunch was calculated at 10 points for my Weight Watchers program..and very healthy. I recommend this restaurant. There is a huge parking lot in the rear that is shared with Boscos next door, and there is a rear entrance from the parking lot, which we used when leaving so I wouldn't get soaking wet again !!!
    I can't wait to eat here again !!! I highly recommend to any and all ...

Tony and I enjoy this restaurant slash Bar a lot..... the food is always good , the service is friendly and fast and he enjoys the sports on the many televisions.
    Tony and I like to go here during the Happy Hour where he can get " 2 for 1 Beers" on his Budweiser and I enjoyed my usual Iced Tea with lemon and lime!!!
    We split appetizers..We got the Cajun Spice Pepperoni small pizza and the Spicy Chorizo Queso Dip with Chips... and we both agreed they were both VERY good!!! We would definitely order them both again!!
    We plan on going here a lot during football season and this is our KEY meal during the games...
    I highly recommend this restaurant and I highly recommend both dishes..you will be very happy with our recommendation and your choice..No matter what you order!!!

Favorite Dish: Tony and I opted to stop at Sam's Sports Bar and Grill for dinner this evening. We decided to get our usual drink orders..anyone know what that is??? That's right, Unsweetened tea with lemon and lime for "Moi" and for Tony Budweiser anything...and tonight he was in heaven...Monday thru Friday, Happy Hour special is 2 for 1 from 3pm to 7pm..so he was able to get his usual 2 bottles of beer which doubled to 4 bottles for only $6.50...great deal for Nashville eateries !!!

We opted to get some new items and then split the choices..Tony chose the 9" Cajun Spiced Pepperoni Pizza and I chose the Spicy Chirazo Queso Dip with chips and fresh Jalapeno slices..OMG !!! it was so awesome ...and the Cajun Pepperoni Pizza was so good too !!!

We are trying to go outside our comfort zones and try new items...and we share so we can taste more than one item and then we discuss our thoughts about the items. Picking out our likes and dislikes...and making mental notes on how to copy them at home...It's fun and YES..we have become official Foodies..definite Food Critics !!!

The Judge's Vinegarroon: The Judge's Vinegarroon

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 5, 2014

Today was my day off so after my doctor's appt., my hubby Tony and I went to have an adventure for LUNCH...we love to try NEW places ((( to us ))) in Nashville, so we said...WHY NOT THE JUDGE'S VINEGARROON on Church Street, so we drove over to that section of town..

We went in ..it was about 2: 15pm and the place was empty except for staff and one other couple finishing off some beers.. so we sit down at a high top table and ordered. I got the "unsweetened tea" with lemon/lime (but she forgot the lime) and Tony got a budweiser..(surprise)...lol !!!
    She arrived with it rather quickly but not to friendly..I tried to talk her up a little bit by telling her this is our first time here..we saw you on Yelp..etc...and still nothing..okay..maybe she had a big lunch crowd and we are interferring on her down time..not sure..

So we ordered the SAMPLER platter with a little bit of all the meats from the smoker and a basket of fries to share.. so we sit and watched some of the big screen tvs and enjoyed all the GRAFFITI on the walls..and it is everywhere.. We got a kick out of one of them...it actually is near the hall going to restrooms...but it is the "WV"..West Virginia logo..and I took a picture that I am going to share on here..We are from West Virginia and we are huge Mountaineer fans...so we liked this.
    The decor has a lot of dead animals on the walls, license tags and a place for a band on the weekends..

She brought our lunch to us...the platter was loaded down ...Brisket, Smoked Sausage, 2 chicken wings, about 4 ribs and then two of the appetizers that have peppers/ chilis wrapped in meat..one stuffed with smoke sausage and the other with shrimp... and the basket of fries has their traditional house rub on them...DELICIOUS..my favorite was the FRIES..I told Tony if we come back to watch football some saturday or sunday..I could make a meal on the Basket of Fries..

I am not a fan of the Iced Tea..not sure of the brand but I didn't like the flavor of the tea..so I would get soda next time..Next time we are going to try a burger or something...but we will definitely go back.

The waitress finally did warm up to us..She asked us if we enjoyed the food and which items we liked the most..and the manager/or maybe owner..he didnt introduce himself but he did ask us if we liked the food and it was good...
    The only reason I didn't give it a higher rating than 3 today...the meat was a little cold, the fries got cold really quickly..but good, she forgot my limes and I didn't like the taste of the tea..the Beer cost $3.50 each..usual for downtown area restaurants..so no big surprise..

Our ticket cost $32.62...with taxes plus tip...not bad...
    We would go again..and we hope next time we can be "WOW...ed" by something other than the WV logo on the wall art...
    What do you guys think???

• Music

• PVHS02's Profile Photo

Rotiers: Cheap Food, Southern Goodness

by PVHS02 Written Feb 7, 2006

This burger was the reason for the trip

Best burgers I've had, actually. It's a small-town independently owned bar/diner located near the Parthenon.

Favorite Dish: The hamburger and bottled coke.

• terps94's Profile Photo

Market Street Brewery: Pubs / Microbrew

by terps94 Updated Jul 7, 2006

Market Street Brewery

Located along 2nd street this a nice stop for some food and drink. Their menu is mostly pub food and sandwiches but they also offer dishes and the beer selection is also pretty good

Instant Answers: Nashville