Fun things to do in Nashville

Chihuly at Cheekwood
    by DaManley

Most Viewed Things to Do in Nashville

East End United Methodist Church

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 7, 2014

I was walking around Historic East End in Nashville, TN..it was such a gorgeous day..I love this church...its on Holly Street.. — at East End United Methodist Church.

Established in 1889, East End United Methodist Church has been serving East Nashville for over 115 years! The links above will help you explore our beliefs, programs and meet our people. Everyone is welcome to visit and participate at East End

• Religious Travel

• butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

L P FIELD "HOME OF THE TITANS"

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 6, 2014

LP FIELD is the official home of the Tennessee Titans NFL Football Team
    while living here for the past four years have been to ONE football game. The Titans played the Colts (the last year that Peyton Manning was their Quarterback)..Titans lost..
    It was cold and I had to wear three layers of clothing...the field is located along the Cumberland River.

• Seniors
    • Singles

The Arcade - Downtown

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 5, 2014

A real diamond in the rogue...You have to experience this Hidden Gem in the Heart of Nashville Metro Center!

Great place to eat!! This is centrally located in the Metro City area and only a few blocks from Anywhere or Anything in downtown Nashville. After my husband and I left 417 Union, we arrived at "Manny's House of Pizza" in the Arcade.
    I love this restaurant. It is my favorite pizza place downtown, and I love to go here during my lunch break at work. I work at 333 Commerce Street at the Bat Building for AT&T. My friend Craig Alea and I would walk over here and have lunch in the warmer months.
    My favorite is a slice of Pepperoni Pizza with Jalapeno Peppers. You can order pizza by the slice or whole. They also have spaghetti with or without meatballs and lasagna and then you can order Pepperoni Rolls, Calzones or Strombolli
    if you get a chance to go here you must!!

The Arcade also has other restaurants and a Post Office. There are tables located in the walkway and in the summertime they have these really large Industrial fans blowing a breeze down the hallway!! Upstairs there are some shops and offices. This was the first (MALL) style building in Nashville in the early 1900's..the history of this building is wonderful. You should research and read about it.

There is also a PEANUT Shoppe located here on the middle corner, where the alley cuts through the middle. It is an old store and I am sure there is a lot of history in there too!!!
    Let me know what you think? What is your favorite Arcade restaurant?
    A real hidden gem you need to experience when you arrive in Nashville.

Carmike Hickory 8 Theater

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 5, 2014

I enjoy going to the theater and especially when it is discounted. Tony and I enjoy going on Tuesday evenings, because for $10 per couple...you can get in and get a small soda and popcorn..Not a bad price for a nice evening.

Tonight we saw "RED DAWN" and it was pretty good! I enjoyed it so much! It is an easy night out and doesn't cost much! The theater is not too bad, but the bathroom could use some extra attention. Some of the theaters need a little repair but hey $2 tickets..you can't beat that!!!

It is what I call a second run theater, and it shows movies that recently left the larger newest theaters..which you are paying for the hype, the glitz and the neon lights. So, I save my pennies, wait for it to show up at the Hickory and enjoy it for a fraction of the cost...Penny saver me!!! Skipping to the piggy bank!!!

• Seniors

Tennessee State Museum

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 4, 2014

This afternoon after work, Tony joined me in the lobby of the AT&T Bat Building. We walked the few blocks back to the Tennessee State Museum. We had reservations for the 4:15pm viewing of the "Emancipation Proclamation" ..I was so excited to see it !!! We arrived a little early so we strolled around the museum to check out the other exhibits on display.

There was a couple walking around dressed as if they were "President Abraham Lincoln and his wife Mary Todd Lincoln". They looked very original and much like the actual couple and several people asked them to pose for pictures which they gladly accepted. It was very nice.

The lines were long but No very so we only had to wait about 20 minutes. I would definitely do this again. It was very nice!! A great way to celebrate the birthday of President Abraham Lincoln. I loved this!!!

• Museum Visits

Elm Hill Marina - Boating

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 4, 2014

The lake was a little below normal water level. The boats were at dock and it was quiet.
    I love this area in the summer time when all the boats are out. I love the sites and I love to take pictures.

I will come back in the summer and share some great pictures of the boats and the water.
    does anyone have a boat? I am thinking about renting one this summer apparently you can rent one by the hour, 1/2 day or all day..not sure of the rates but I am going to definitely check into this option..sounds like fun !!!

• Sailing and Boating
    • Fishing

Hamilton Creek Mountain Bike Park

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 4, 2014

Tony and I was driving around checking out the parks around the J. Percy Priest Lake and we happened to run across the Hamilton Creek Park. We drove through the park and found some really nice locations.
    Down by the BMX park, there is a race track and a several trails for riders. The trails are marked and I believe there was three or four of them, the longest being 6 miles. I am not a BMX rider, but IF I WAS, this would be perfect !!!!

There are picnic tables down by the lake and a large playground for the kiddies and large parking lot. There is a nice bathroom facility available also.

On out through the park there are two boating areas. A boat ramp area for the speedboats and fishing boats and then there is a marina for the sailboats. I don't own a boat, but again If I did, this would be my park. My ONLY complaint...no stationary GRILLS...I personally like to cookout when I go to a park...so I am assuming you can bring your own..I didn't see any signs saying you COULD NOT !!!!
    So if you are a boater, sailor or BMX rider...go to this park!!!! It would be Awesome for you guys!!!!

• Cycling
    • Photography

Fort Negley Park

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 4, 2014

Sunday March 3, 2013 Tony and I took a nice walk and hike up the trails at Fort Negley Park in Nashville.
    There are great views of Nashville from up there and the site is Historical. There are a lot of signs there to let you know all the details and the paths are marked very well. They are either paved, graveled or boardwalking over the ruins. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED to CLIMB or WALK on the ruins.
    I took a lot of photos and we enjoyed the hiking because it is uphill and burning more calories and points and fat...I enjoy the hiking here. You are allowed to have pets on this trail also there is ONE picnic table if you want to eat a picnic..
    I would go back again and again and again!!!

HISTORY:
    Fort Negley was a fortification built for the American Civil War, located approximately 2-mile (3.2 km) south of downtown Nashville, Tennessee. It was the largest inland fort built in the United States during the war
    Once Confederate forces were routed from Forts Henry and Donelson (on the Tennessee and Cumberland Rivers, respectively), in February 1862, Confederate commanders decided that any further effort in the defense of Nashville would be pointless, and they abandoned any attempt to keep Nashville behind their lines. It was almost immediately occupied by Union forces, who rapidly began preparations for its defense. The largest of the fortifications erected was Fort Negley, a star-shaped limestone block structure atop a hill south of the city. The construction of the fort was overseen by Captain James St. Clair Morton. The fort was constructed out of 62,500 cubic feet of stone, 18,000 cubic feet of earth and cost $130,000.[2] It was largely constructed using the labor of local slaves (including women), newly freed slaves who had flocked to Nashville once it was taken by Union forces with the understanding that their status as slaves was to be revoked were they to work for the Union, and by free blacks forcibly conscripted for the work. Records show that 2,768 blacks were officially enrolled in its construction.[3] During construction 600-800 men died and only 310 ever received any pay.[4] The fort was named for Union Army commander General James S. Negley.
    Interestingly, when the Battle of Nashville finally began in December 1864, it was largely fought on the heights even farther south of the city than Fort Negley, which despite its then-impressive appearance never played a leading military role. Shortly after the war, the fort was abandoned and fell into ruin; however, its outline could be readily discerned for many years afterwards in the encroaching woods. During the Reconstruction period, the area was used as a meeting place for the Ku Klux Klan

• Archeology

• butterflykizzez04's Profile Photo

AT&T Building - "Called the Bat Building"

Great place to work!!
    This is a great building location...center of everything so after office hours you can go just about anywhere for dinner or an event. CLOSE TO EVERYTHING!!! Love the location!
    The building is gorgeous! The inside lobby Wintergarden is so inviting and tropical...love love love this building.
    We have Chik Filet, a great Cafe and US Bank...so everything is readily available.
    I love this location and my parking monthly fee is so reasonable.
    I love my job. I have a great 360 degree view of all Nashville from the 27th floor...!!!

Edwin Warner Park

by butterflykizzez04 Updated Feb 3, 2014

Great Park with a lot of trails. Tony and I went to the park to hike but it was really cold that day so we went into the Education center and met a really nice lady that worked there. She told us to help ourselves looking around and offered us some coffee. We didn't want any but thanked her anyway.
    We took our time looking around the center. There was a lot of stuffed wildlife animals in the park. Birds and Muskrats, Minks and Raccoon, Skunks and snakes. It will be really nice for a learning class or school trip. There are some nice hands on activities. I really enjoyed the hour we spent inside looking around.
    There was a lot of literature about the hiking trails, the history of the over 1,000 acres of park land. There is also a calendar of events. There are some upcoming events for spring for the wildflowers and birds. It is all free! They require that you call and set a reservation in place for certain hikes because the spots for each group are limited to like 20-30 people. So that way the groups are large but yet small enough to see everything and ask questions.
    I think I might schedule one of the wildflower tours to learn about the different wildflowers, their names, and information and such!! Very educational.
    I really recommend this to anyone and everyone!! It's great opportunity for learning and for fun and adventure in God's playground!!! And FREE !!!!

• Museum Visits

Radnor Lake State Natural Park

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 3, 2014

Tony and I enjoy hiking so much and this lovely lake is so close to our apartment. I enjoy going to this park especially on Sunday mornings before it gets really busy (which it does)!!! The paths are very easy to walk and they circle around the lake and then even closed the road that used to go through the park so you can walk and enjoy the lovely scenery and wildlife without getting hit by oncoming traffic.

While we were there we heard ducks and geese!! We saw turkeys, squirrels and I even thought I saw a Beaver but Tony didn't see it so it never happened. There were some lovely birds a cardinal or two and other birds that I don't know the names of!!!

I took some lovely pictures of the lake!!!
    I can't wait to go back again!!

• Photography

Cummins Station

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 3, 2014

Tony and I went to Cummins Station in Nashville to have dinner at "M Restaurant and Bar" but while we were waiting for our party, we opted to stroll around the inside of the building check out the stores and businesses. We have never been here before and to our surprise it was actually very lovely and interesting.
    There are several restaurants, a bank and even a small post office..so it is a small village as my "Paw Paw" would call it. There is even a little store to buy chips, soda and etc..so you could live here and not have to leave...lol !!!
    The building is bright red brick, and really warm and inviting. The inside is high ceiling and open...airy feeling..its a revamped warehouse or something. We are going to go back and try at the other restaurants..we love trying new places..There is a Sushi place inside as well as Cinco de Mayo (mexican fare) and also a "M Market" for breakfast and lunch servings. I want to try this one almost immediately!!
    I enjoyed the art work on the walls and photos. If you get a chance to check it out, take a stroll !!!

Nashville Farmer's Market

by butterflykizzez04 Written Feb 3, 2014

Tony and I enjoy going to the Farmer's Market in Nashville as much as possible but it's better in the Spring to Fall seasons and so boring during the summer.
    There are a lot of nice stuff there. The fruits and veggies, also clothing and stuff like purses, socks, what nots and etc.. Great Farmers Market!!!

Also, there are restaurants inside the food court area as well as an International Food Market. We have eaten there a few time at various locations. I love to shop for my fruits there and my veggies..Free parking !!!

• TravellerMel's Profile Photo

Sips n Strokes - Painting Party in the Gulch

by TravellerMel Updated Feb 13, 2013

Fun painting parties in an up-and-coming area! Check out the calendar and select the day with the painting you want to do. Bring your own beverages and snacks (you seem to paint better with wine!), and let the painting instructor walk you through creating your own version of the painting, step by step. This is a fun activity for a "Girls Night Out", or even a date night. I have absolutely NO artistic ability, and I am pleasantly surprised by how well my paintings come out! Classes are $30 for the 2 hour class, or $40 for the 3 hour class (class length depends on the picture).

This is a great location - walking distance to several nice restaurants (Cantina Laredo and Music City Flats, to name just a couple), and there is safe, secure parking lots nearby.

• Women's Travel

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Original Silver Dollar Salloon 1896

by Yaqui Written Sep 14, 2012

The original Silver Dollar Saloon was located at 100 2nd avenue at the corner of Broadway. The original was designed by Julian G. Zwicker in 1893, it catered to the riverboat men coming up from the wharf at the foot of Broadway, which is now Riverfront Park. The saloon earned its name for the hundreds of silver dollars as decoration and in the floor which was formally the ground floor bar room. It has been a variety of businesses in the storied career, everything from a saloon, to a bookstore, to the now Rock Shop which is part of Hard Rock Café’s Gift Shop. The Gift shop today still has remnants of the original floor of the Silver Dollar Saloon.

This property has been placed on the
    National Register
    of Historical Places
    By The United States
    Department of the Interior

Nashville Hotels

Latest Nashville Hotel Reviews

Gaylord Opryland Hotel
Latest: Apr 8, 2014
Microtel Inn And Suites Nashville (Bellevue)
Baymont Inn And Suites Nashville Whitebridge
Renaissance Nashville Hotel
Loews Vanderbilt Hotel Nashvillle
Latest: Apr 10, 2014

Instant Answers: Nashville

Comments

Nashville Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Nashville locals.
Map of Nashville