Fun things to do in Nashville

Chihuly at Cheekwood
    by DaManley

Most Viewed Things to Do in Nashville

Regal Theater 16

by butterflykizzez04 Written Sep 16, 2014

We had a really good evening at the mall and we went to the Regal Theater. Noel and I hurried here after I got off at work to watch the movie " No Good Deed" Which is such a great movie..
    The theater was so nice!!
    We had never been to this theater before and on a Monday evening at 5:15...it was definitely NOT BUSY..so this is the time to go to avoid the crowds.
    I had a free ticket earned by the Reward program.
    so I only had to buy one ticket for Noel...cost $11
    then we ordered the combo number 2, with one large popcorn and 2 medium drinks, we upsized the drinks to large for .50 cents each (great selling little lady)
    then the candy was $2 (Monday night special)...so another $22.25
    She also got a free poster of the movie..
    The evening together on our Mother Daughter! PRICELESS !!!

The theater was very nice and very clean!!
    The staff very nice!!!
    I will definitely go back here again!

• Women's Travel

Mall of Green Hills

by butterflykizzez04 Written Sep 16, 2014

Noel and I went to the mall on our Mother Daughter outing. We try to go out once a week together alone and do something.
    After our movie, we decided to walk around the mall a little bit, she wanted to go to Sephora and I just wanted to walk around a little bit. We didn't walk around too much because it was already well after 7pm and I had worked all day and was tired.
    We stopped and window shopped a little, and had a quick dessert at Bravo Gelato...we will go back when we have more time. I love this mall, it has all the high end stores...my favorite ...Tiffany's and Michael Kors

• Women's Travel

Regal Opry Mills 20

by butterflykizzez04 Written Aug 17, 2014

I really enjoy this movie theater. There are several here in the Nashville area that I like, but If I am going to pay big dollars to see something on the big screen...I prefer this one!!!

It's newer...it's larger and it seems to be cleaner to me!! Maybe it's the NEON LIGHTS..Neon makes everything seem better...I love Neon..

I love the point system. I earn free movies, popcorn and sodas all time!! Which is very helpful, plus I usually always have a coupon for $2 off via my entertainment guide book for Nashville...so anything to make it more budget friendly.

But, even with coupons, early bird matinee prices and filling up before you go...expect to drop an easy $35 or more...because WHO CAN RESIST that delicious theater POPCORN....my CRYPTITE!!! Everyone has a weakness...mine theater popcorn with extra greasy butter!!!!

Recently I saw LUCY and SEX TAPE...both was good!!! Next ...it's Turtle Time!!!

• Theater Travel

Whole Food Markets

by butterflykizzez04 Written Aug 4, 2014

Noel recently moved here from West Virginia, so she is now no longer just a summer Nashville resident but a full time Nashvillian...
    So, we got up early to do my errands and we went to Whole Food Markets. I love this store. I love to find all the unfamiliar foods and to check them out. my favorite area is the Cheese section, meats and pastries.

I also like their fire brick oven pizza.
    Noel enjoyed the store but I had to agree with her the pricing can be a little too much on some items.
    But, I still like to go.

• Beer Tasting

Woodlawn Cemetery

by butterflykizzez04 Written Aug 4, 2014

I literally drive by this cemetery at least once a day, sometimes more..so today, Sunday August 3rd, I decided to swing in. I knew George Jones was burieed here and I wanted to see his grave and memorial.

It was relatively easy to find. There are No signs leading you to it. So, when you enter into the cemetery, go straight back towards the funeral home. On the right you turn onto that drive and it comes to a fork again turn right and you will see his memorial on the right. It says JONES really large on the arch of the memorial.
    We stopped and I took a few photos and paid my respects to the Possum...there was also a few other fans there as well.

As we turned to leave, at the foot of the site we found the gravesite of Singer Johnny Paycheck. That was very nice surprise. We were there for about 20 minutes total. It is a lovely cemetery. If in the area you should stop. If you are a George Jones fan, then you must stop...its a must !!!

• Music

Union Station Hotel

by butterflykizzez04 Written Jul 5, 2014

Okay, I have not stayed the night here but I have visited the building several times. On Wednesday July 2nd, Tony, Noel and I went walking around the town of Nashville. My daughter is new to the area. So, we are taking her around the city to enjoy all the sites and sounds of this wonderful musical city.

Now, myself..I am a history buff..Anything historical..anything old..I love old buildings and I want to hear and see all the sites looking for anything to feel a connection to it. I would love to have been here in its busy "Hey Day"..

This building is Great..The lovely interior and lovely decor of the inside of the building. I love to see and hear about all photos of the hotel and its past.

if you ever get a chance to go to this lovely hotel you should go. You should walk around and enjoy all of the beautiful decor and history it has to offer. You don't have to be a history buff to enjoy and see the awesome decor.

Strikes and Spares Family Fun Center

by butterflykizzez04 Written Jul 5, 2014

Yesterday we decided to have a FUN DAY..I was off from work so we decided after I ran some errands and we went to the Library and Tennessee State Museum...we had a great lunch but I needed to WORK OFF THE CALORIES..so hey...let's go Bowling !!!

We headed over to Strike & Spare Family Fun Center off Charlotte Ave on the West side near the shopping center over there. This was my first time there and it is really really nice. I am sure when it was NEWER it was really pretty and exciting with sounds and lights...not so much anymore but hey still a VERY VERY nice area for family fun or even children's birthday parties or little league parties..they have Bowling, Roller Skating, Laser Tag, Glow in the Dark Putt Putt Golf, Bumper Cars, and gaming area with video games, action packed games, air hockey and billiards ...

There is a nice eating area and a grille with great family fun foods like pizza, hamburgers, hot dogs, nachos and more..soda, tea and ice cream and frozen icee...all the favorites of the little ones in size and heart...I love a good icee myself..
    There is also a bar for the bigger adult kids with pool tables and darts..it is located on the other side of the building far away from the many fun activities that keep the kiddies busy..

We bowled 2 games each while Tony coached...it cost $19.50 with taxes and shoe rentals for myself and Noel. The scoreboards are automatic which I guess is a norm now..but I always enjoyed keeping score myself...Yes I speak Bowling jargon..I would love to bowl more on a regular basis, it is fun and great exercise..They have some great specials listed one I noticed was $1 per game and $3.25 shoe rental on Thursday evenings from 9pm to 1 am..that is pretty good pricing and they also have some special with one price for an hour bowling and wristbands with unlimited thrill games and activities for the kids..so it can be very price and budget friendly..

We are going back..might make it a regular habit

• susiemargare's Profile Photo

a walk in the park!

by susiemargare Updated Jun 15, 2014

davidson county, where nashville is located, has lots of city and state parks. if you can locate on a map the place where you are staying, you can find various parks, what amenities they have, and directions for getting to them at http://maps.nashville.gov/NashvilleParksFinder.

see my nashville transportation tips for how to get to a park by bus, taxi, or bicycle (even if you don't have one!).

• charlenemixa's Profile Photo

All Aboard for a FUN Evening!

by charlenemixa Written Jun 2, 2014

Good food and great show. Really enjoyed the dinner cruise. Recommend while waiting for dinner to be served to go out on deck to see Nashville. We had a blast and thoroughly enjoyed the rocking dinner show. The food was good too! Everyone sang and clapped along to old time favorites.

The General Jackson Showboat
    • Music
    • Cruise

• charlenemixa's Profile Photo

Tour the State Capitol Building

by charlenemixa Written Jun 2, 2014

The grounds around the capitol on Capitol Hill are beautiful. We walked to the Capitol from Broadway and did the self-guided walking tour which we thoroughly enjoyed. It is a beautiful building with a lot of history and has been very well restored and maintained. We recommend it for a visit to Nashville.

An excellent self tour and a beautiful building with lots of history. If you have time stop in. The self-guided tour is FREE.

Chamber at the State Capitol
    • Museum Visits

John Wesley Work House

by butterflykizzez04 Written May 22, 2014

Tony and I was driving around Fisk University and we found this gorgeous old Victorian home located on 17th Street North a few blocks away from the campus.

I walked around the house and took some really great photos of the home and found some information about him on the internet. Nashville restoration projects spent quite a bite of money to restore the home to his glorious status. If you are visiting Fisk anyway, you should walk over to check out this stunning home located on the corner.

This is what the Historical Marker says:

In 1937 this Victorian-style house became the home of John W. Work III. A teacher and composer for 39 years, he served his alma mater by enriching the Fisk musical traditions. Director of the Jubilee Singers, Work III, a serious composer, completed more than 100 compositions. He was not only an acclaimed composer and choral conductor, but also a recognized author, educator, and ethnomusicologist.

(Reverse): His father, John W. Work II, composer of the Fisk alma mater, "The Gold and Blue," was known as the rescuer and preservationist of Negro religious music. Work II's book, Folk Songs of the American Negro, was one of the first extensive studies on the origin and development of religious African-American music by a descendant of an ex-slave who lived during the time many of the songs had their beginnings.

Located on the corner of 17th North and Meharry Blvd near Fisk University

Fisk University

by butterflykizzez04 Written May 19, 2014

Sunday, May 18th, Tony and I decided to take a stroll around Fisk University. The Grandeur of the buildings lured me to the campus. So, it was about 10am the grounds seemed so empty but lush and flowing like a park. We parked the car and started walking around the large campus enjoying the buildings and the many historical markers explaining the history in the vast, but old college.

Jubilee Hall is magnificent!!! The tower and the enormous size of the building is so beautiful and breathtaking. I had to walk around the building taking photos of this beauty.

Also Cravath Hall is a large Glamour building on the grounds of the campus. It was the library and now houses the offices of the President of the college. There are two chapels on the grounds, and they also are gorgeous. One of them is an Art Gallery.

If you are in the area you should take the time to walk around and read the history markers of the different buildings and the history of the college. It is amazing. You should spend some time learning the small features that are hidden in the city's vastness...

I love to find these hidden gems!!

Cumberland River Pedestrian Bridge

by butterflykizzez04 Written May 18, 2014

Sunday, May 18th, Tony and I decided to go for a walk on the Cumberland River Pedestrian Bridge after "Pigging Out" at Five Points Pizza ( our favorite ). So, we parked at Two Rivers Parking lot near the Wave Country Pool and locked the van, taking off on our trek on the Greenway.

You are walking on a great paved walking path but be careful..the bikers and skaters also use this pathway...and the bikes are flying sometimes...saw a few almost collisions

The path takes you through two small tunnels underneath the roadway above and opens out onto a large lovely bridge across the river. I was able to take some lovely photos of the Cumberland River below.

We enjoyed the walk across the bridge and really didn't pay any attention to the map before we got onto the path. We loved this walk. Once you get to the other side there is a great statue made from shoves and rakes..sort of really cool abstract artwork.

There are some great paths to walk on along the river, but the cyclist was very fast and they should really use bells or something. We kept to the right, but heck they still almost hit us. They were going so fast that there was some really close crashes...there should be some type of patrol out there..I found it a little unnerving but heck the scenic views were WONDERFUL..I enjoyed our walk there!!!

• National/State Park

Two Rivers Park

by butterflykizzez04 Written May 18, 2014

Sunday, May 18th, Tony and I decided to go for a walk after "Pigging Out" at Five Points Pizza ( our favorite ). So, we parked at Two Rivers Parking lot near the Wave Country Pool and locked the van, taking off on our trek on the Greenway.

After our hike across the river way, we went around the park area. There are picnic tables and shelters, but NO GRILLS. There are two large fun playground areas for the kiddies, bathrooms, a golf course, wave pool and disc golf course..this is a sport we are thinking about taking up.

Looks like fun!!! But, I need to learn rules..at least it would be exercise and a great way to get some sunshine on this white body..
    I liked this park. Great parking lot, very large. Great place for an outdoor birthday party.

Also one of my favorite things, FREE to use..except for the wave pool and golf..you have to pay for that, but the greenway, playground and picnicking is free...There are also some skate board jumping areas aka Skate Park for the kids..
    There was a lot of skaters there of various ages and bike riders. It was fun to watch..again Free..many parents there tailgating in the parking lot...Looks like a lot of fun for the kids..but there was some mid 20 and mid 30's also using the skating park area, so not just kids ONLY !!!

• Travel with Pets

Riverfront Park

by butterflykizzez04 Written May 10, 2014

Wednesday, May 7,2014, Tony and I was doing one of our URBAN HIKING locally here in Nashville...playing Tourist...lol!!! Even a cop on a Segway, said WELCOME TO NASHVILLE and we bursted out laughing...I guess we fit right in...

We walked down to the Riverfront Park. I have a great view of this site from my office window everyday. During special events, this area is packed with peeps listening to music, dancing or motivating around or eating something good.
    They even put a stage out on the Tennessee River so fans can listen to some free great music.

This park is located in a great area. It is so pretty down here.
    Most of the events here are free.

Nashville Hotels

Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews
Loews Vanderbilt Hotel Nashvillle
Bad (2.0 out of 5.0) 4 Reviews

Instant Answers: Nashville

Comments

Nashville Things to Do

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Nashville locals.
Map of Nashville