West Knoxville Travel Guide

Earth to Old City Shop
    by Espresso_girl

West Knoxville Restaurants

• by Spritsail Written Jan 30, 2007

As far as hotel food goes, this is a diamond in the rough on Euclid Ave (really, it's very rough). Service is consistent with Intercontinental's the world over, but considering other choices within the region, it was outstanding.

Favorite Dish: No particular favorites.

• Business Travel
    • Women's Travel
    • Seniors

• askgriff's Profile Photo

by askgriff Written Jun 21, 2005

When my aunt ran down to grab some bagels at the local "Panera Bread" I didn't expect much. I mean, Schats Bakery in Ukiah was the best baked good around. These bagels, however, were incredible.

Favorite Dish: Cinnamon bagels with hazel nut spread -- fresh, soft, and sweet. These are the best baked goods I've ever had.

• askgriff's Profile Photo

by askgriff Written Jun 21, 2005

West Knoxville Shopping

by Espresso_girl Updated Jan 4, 2004

A little history, a little art, a lot of neat little shops, some Great pizza, and a bit of beer.
    Market square is a block of refurbish turn of the century buildings that have always been a part of Knoxville?s open market. This is where I do all of my Christmas and gift shopping.

In a way a small store on Market Square helped launch the most famous career in musical history. Sam Morrison of Bell Sales Company chose to promote Elvis Presley's "That?s All Right, Mama" by playing it on loudspeakers to the public on the square. He sold hundreds of copies to people of all ages, including two copies to an RCA talent scout in the area searching for local country music talent. The scout sent a copy of the record to his boss in New York. Several months later, RCA bought Elvis's contract from Sun Studios in Memphis.
    That particular record store is no more, but you can see where it was as you stroll through the square in the Cradle of Country Music Walking Tour.

What to buy: So let me give you an overview of the current shops.

Reruns- A cool consignment and name brand only used cloths store
    10$-100$

Tomato Head- the best pizza this side of the Mason-Dixon line.
    5$-20$
    Market Square Book Sellers- Owned by and man and his wife, not a big impersonal corporation. The proprietor always wears a kilt proudly and keeps the largest selection of Scotch/Irish Heritage books in this City. The store is small however it has an amazing selection of local history, art and children?s books. The prices are quite good too. I got a copy of the Canterbury tales for 25 cents.
    0.25 - 50$
    Bliss-
    All the modern art and unusual gifts you could want for the home.
    10$ -1000$
    Earth to Old City- Cool art, Glycerin soaps with picture in them for every interest, Hippy stuff, organic cosmetics, a frame store and much more.
    1.00- 500$
    The Village Market place- Imports made by small village artists and artisans from Tennessee and around the world. The catch, all but 10% of the profits goes directly back to the craftsmen. The 10% goes to the local Mennonite church. This place has the best prices and selection of gifts -odd musical instruments, real wooden toys, pottery, art, jewelry and clothes.
    1.00- 50$
    Nomad- an art gallery
    $$$$$$$$
    Preservation Pub- as close as you can get to a real Pub in the southern US, which is still very bar like, but it has a very pleasant historical atmosphere anyway. Nice beer selection.
    2.00$-10$
    More Shops are opening every day.

What to pay: 1.00$ to 5000$

Earth to Old City Shop
    • Music

West Knoxville Warnings and Dangers

by Espresso_girl Updated Oct 24, 2003

Sightings of a large smelly primate have been occurring over the last few weeks in the College Hill community of Knoxville's neighboring Campbell County.

"I didn't really get a good look at his face because he didn't hang around all that long," says, local Donna Keathley "But he's big and he's got a really bad stinkful odor to him." Yes, folks she did say it were powerfully stinkful!

The proposed primate purportedly snacks on cats and kittens. In the tradition of “ I have caught a fish THIS big.. local residents say that over 100 pets have disappeared during the last two weeks. The suspected simian allegedly hurled a kitten at one local resident when she startled him during his early evening meal. "This kitten he threw at me, no one knows where it come from."

If you spot the skunk ape do not attempt to corner him or discuss local politics with him. He seems to be easily provoked and may hurl a feline projectile at you.
    This story really ran on WATE Channel 6 news in Knoxville the week of October 20th.
    Really!

The hunting call of the East Tennessee Skunk Ape.
    • Adventure Travel
    • Eco-Tourism

by Espresso_girl Updated Aug 28, 2003

We rented a house sight unseen from what was told to us to be a "good" Land Lady in Bearden, a good part of town. When we arrived with the moving van and bounded happily up to out new house, we found it dirty and filled with mold. There were unwashed dishes in the sink and something that seemed to have a mind of its own growing in the fridge. The out door shed was filled with rotting trash. Apprehensively we put down our cots to spend our first night. By 3:00 am I had such bad asthma I had to move my cot out on the porch to sleep. The next day we had some experienced property mangers come in to see what was wrong with the house. Apart from the house being very dirty, the basement was filled with an incredible amount of black mold and had a large quantity of asbestos insulation open to the air. The vents in the floors of the house the house which and once connected the a central air system were open to the basement in every room so there was nothing to stop these ill substances from coming up into the house. The land lady had "coincidentally" arranged to be out of town the date of our move in so we could not take issue with her about these problems.
    We decided it was not livable and went on a whirlwind tour of the still available houses. Luckily we were able to rent one that same weekend was much nicer than the moldy house for roughly the same price.

When we finally got a hold of the landlady she was very offend that we did not like the house and told us that all houses with basements in Bearden suffered from black mold problems. Then she tried to insult my husband by saying she'd never rent to "our kind of people again". So all of you who like to breath clean air the Slum Lady of Cherokee Hills will not rent to you. My husband and I suffered from breathing problems for a week due to that one night in the house that mold built.

I'm sure it's a bad idea to rent any property sight unseen, but I've done it before and never encountered anything this bad.

• Study Abroad

• West Knoxville Hotels

0 Hotels in West Knoxville

Instant Answers: West Knoxville

Comments

West Knoxville Travel Guide
Map of West Knoxville