Amarillo Restaurants

Iconic Sign at entrance
    by BruceDunning

Best Rated Restaurants in Amarillo

• Bunsch's Profile Photo

The Big Texan Steak Ranch & Opry: Can YOU eat a 72-ounce steak in an hour?

by Bunsch Written May 21, 2011

The Big Texan, ready for customers

It was shortly after I left Albuquerque that I began to encounter billboards for the Big Texan Steakhouse ("Free limo! 72 ounce steaks! 3 hours ahead!") which was on my "to do" list. Approaching Amarillo, I saw what were probably feed lots, with hundreds of cattle penned. It was in the low 90's and many of the animals were lying on the dirt. I had to wonder whether they were going to become the vaunted steaks.

The Big Texan is just off Interstate 40, but you need to travel on the service road to get there. It includes a motel composed of Western storefront buildings, a massive steer and the sort of cut-out photo backdrops that everyone encounters at least once in their lives, a gift shop, bakery and candy store, full bar, and a vast room filled with servers in cowboy attire who provide prompt and attentive service.

Incidentally, if you decide to try their challenge, you are seated at an elevated table with minute and second counters posted high on the wall to monitor your activity, and you not only have to down the entire steak, but also rolls, salad, shrimp cocktail and maybe even dessert. Definitely not for the faint-hearted!

Open 7:00 AM to 10:30 PM

Favorite Dish: I had a delicious filet with the usual trimmings, but surprised myself by drinking about a quart of sweet tea to go with it. I'm dehydrating in this dry heat!

• Seniors

• sourbugger's Profile Photo

The Big Texas steakhouse: ROUTE 66 : Tip 43 - You cannot be serious !

by sourbugger Updated Jan 31, 2005

Small snack for texan

"Restaurants don't more American that this"

"Why are we going to McDonalds?"

"No, next stop is the Big Texan Steakhouse"

"Sounds ghastly"

"Yes it will be all leathers, bloody awful country music, 10 gallon hats, ridiculous accents. Being Texas they probably have live criminal execution as well"

"So why are we going ?"

"Because it is the done thing. And they serve a 72oz steack. If you eat it all you get it for free. I could of course manage it, but thinking we will be in the car all day tomorrow, I might well quiche"

"I think that would be A GOOD IDEA"

"Yes dear"

"Your not going to get on the hall of fame, then?"

"I have no need in life to prove what a pig I can be and join some nearly 5,000 other sad souls"

"You'r just chicken"

"Hey, where's the beef ?"

Next>>>

Favorite Dish: Taken from the bigtexan website, these are rules of the 72oz steak challenge :

"Rule # 1 is to have fun. We really want you to win! The $50 dinner consist of a baked potato, salad, shrimp cocktail, roll, and a 72-ounce top sirloin steak. You must sit at the designated table in our dining room. You may not leave the table for any reason once the contest starts. No one may assist you in any way (such as cutting up your meal). You must complete the dinner in 1 hour (if you can't do the meal in an hour, you ain't going get it done in 2 hours anyway). You may not share your meal even if you don't complete the dinner (like take it back to your table to be shared by any folks you may have invited to cheer you on). If you get sick (its been know to happen) the contest is over, period. You can order the steak cooked anyway you want. We will allow you a sample bite (small) prior to the start of the timer to make sure it is cooked to your satisfaction and the taste meets with your approval. Then we start the timer for one hour. You do not have to eat the fat or gristle (if you can find any), but we must judge this. Again, we want you to win but we do know our meats and will judge accordingly. "

• Yaqui's Profile Photo

Country Barn Steakhouse: Great food, service, & decor~

by Yaqui Updated Mar 2, 2014

Update~Sadly like so many businesses lately they had to close their doors. The restaurant was auctioned off in Oct 2013. Hopefully someone will step in and open it back up as a restaurant. The food was really good too!:(

From the web site: Country Barn Steakhouse embraces an authentic western heritage of the working cowboy. All 18,000 sqft. Which includes eight private dining rooms with seating from 8 – 300 is available. Country Barn is proud to serve Bonsmara beef, which GR Chapman has, hand raised on his local ranch. All steaks are hand cut fresh daily. They have ocean fresh fish, buttery lobster and red king crab. The food at the Country Barn is perfectly prepared over an open mesquite fire, while most steakhouses offer beef and fish the Country Barn will serve up Chris’ award winning hickory smoked BBQ with all the trimmings.

The decor was comfortable, charming and the service was friendly! Lots to look at!

Warning..LOL: If you use the women's restroom, be aware. It is "All" mirrored as soon as you enter the hallway to the actual restroom. I can imagine the giggles of folks if they had a drink too many in trying to find the door.....LOL!!

Ms. Vickie's Soul Food Restaurant: Southern eatin' on the High Plains

by der_geograf Written Jan 7, 2006

Smothered porkchops. Candied yams. Fried chicken. Baked ribs. Cheese meatloaf. Green beans. Corn. Mashed potatoes. Homemade pecan pie, buttermilk pie, chocolate pecan cake.

There's really no need to say more, except that for US$8 per person, you get all you can eat with free drink refills, and attentive service. Ms. Vickie and her staff are excellent hostesses, and they cook the day's meal every morning.

At night, the restaurant converts into a night club, with some blues nights.

Favorite Dish: The cheese meatloaf and all the desserts!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

Malcolm's: Ice Cream Fix - Achieved!

by ATXtraveler Written Apr 18, 2009

So, I have been very successful lately, sticking to a low-carb diet, with the purpose of dropping a few pounds. Unfortunately for me, my sweet tooth hit hard last night, and I was forced to enjoy some ice cream and hot fudge on a nice big banana split. That craving was brought on by Malcolm's, which was located directly outside my hotel window in Amarillo.

This thing was absolutely delightful, with a vanilla scoop covered with pineapple topping, a strawberry scoop with strawberries, and a chocolate scoop with hot fudge on it. Whipped cream and almonds covered this jem.

I ate the entire thing, and did not care one bit how many carbs were in it! Ha!

For those of you that are not calorically challenged, jump right on in here and get your fill!

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

Hud's: Food for Sit Down

by BruceDunning Written May 23, 2013

This is local fast food place that features basic and staple food types. Prices are very reasonable and serves burgers, breakfasts, chicken fried steak, and more.

Favorite Dish: The burgers are great, especially for the price ranges; $1.50-4.00.

• atufft's Profile Photo

Texas Roadhouse: Amarillo Beef!

by atufft Updated Apr 4, 2011

Texas Roadhouse Freeway Sign

There are a lot of steakhouses in Amarillo, so this certainly isn't the last word in what can be found. We chose this because it was recommended by the hotel desk. As it turns out, Texas Roadhouse is part of a chain, but it's a good operation that combines a bar and restaurant. Just inside the door is a refrigerator which shows the raw steaks available. Customers can choose their own steak if they like. Aprons, baseball caps, and other souvenirs from the restaurant are also sold. The hostess led us over a hardwood floor littered with sawdust and peanut shells; peanuts are served in a bucket along with the drinks. I ordered a 22oz draft Zeinzenbach dark beer, a good medium dark beer for mixing with beef. The menu has a wide selection of beef cuts, chicken, pork, and even catfish. Rare, medium rare, medium, well done, etc. are all explained in detail within the menu, so there's little cause for confusion about how the customer wants their meat cooked. In a place like this, I recommend eating beef rare. The quality of the meat was excellent, so there's little reason to believe one will get sick from bad meat here. The servers are pretty young though, so don't expect them to be terribly knowledgeable about the types of meat offered. The bread is baked at the restaurant, and is a reasonable warm French bread. Reservations are recommended to reduce the wait time, but we wouldn't have had to wait anyway on a Wednesday night.

Favorite Dish: Actually, I made a mistake and ordered the 16oz Prime Rib when the Dallas Filet would have been the better choice. The Prime Rib was good though, and I couldn't complain about how it was cooked. I like good beef cooked rare, but my wife is more sane and prefers her steaks medium. I believe though that what this restaurant refers to as Dallas Filet, is actually called Filet Mignon most places. My wife had the Ft. Worth Ribeye steak which was also prepared well. We both chose the green salad and mashed potatoes for the side dishes. The price was right for all this food.

• Beer Tasting

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo

The Big Texan: The big steaks

by BruceDunning Written May 23, 2013

Iconic Sign at entrance

The steak I had at 32 ounces was one of the best tasting I have eaten in years. All of the steaks are quality and the other food also good quality and plentiful. Also along with the plates of food is baked potato, salad, and breads. The steak was $22 for what I ordered and the largest one at 72 oz is $64.

Favorite Dish: Any of the steaks are the ones to order

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo

The Big Texan: Say Howdy to Big Tex

by ATXtraveler Written Apr 18, 2009

I am sure anyone who has actively researched Amarillo knows all about the Big Texan, famous for its "free" 72 oz. steak*. *If you can finish it, and boy is it big.

We went in with the thought of me looking to win the challenge, and I was mentally prepared. As we looked at the steaks, they looked absolutely delicious, and Sarah convinced me away from finishing, mainly because we were concerned that it would not bode well for 6 hours of driving the next day.

I ended up skipping the challenge and enjoying a 20 oz. "Dallas" cut ribeye, which was very flavorful. I order my steaks black and blue or Pittsburgh style, which warranted a couple questions from management. I guess they are not used to people eating steak that is not medium rare or hotter, as this tends to be a tourist spot. The steak was delicious and was topped with a little jalapeno steak au jus. I also had a side salad with it which was definitely Texas sized.

Overall, I definitely enjoyed this place, not only from the kitsch of Texas steakhouses, but also from the quality of the beef. I would definitely recommend it.

• Luxury Travel

• envelnikki's Profile Photo

Logan's Steakhouse: Great Steak

by envelnikki Written Dec 10, 2007

If you want a good Texas style steak then Logan's is the place to go. They even have a barrel full of peanuts for you to snack on while you wait! The music can be too loud at times but there usually is such a crowd of people you can't even hear the music.

Favorite Dish: You can get a 6 oz. Sirloin with 2 side dishes for only $8.99 so its a pretty good deal. I've eaten there a couple dozen times and I have yet to have a fatty Sirloin and they do a great job about preparing it just like you ordered it.

• Boot Hill Saloon & Grill: Best Steak I have ever had! 1/2 way on Route 66

by Tzererenner Written Oct 17, 2007

This was in the newspaper

This place is awesome! It's located right on Historic route 66 and looks like it was built in the wild west days. The place is owed by one of the Food Network Stars! The inside looks like one of the old west movie sets, with the swinging saloon doors and servers dressed in dance hall girl costumes. I'm not kidding the steak there was unreal best I ever had in my life. My husband had the ribeye and I had the Campfire. oh and def try the green chili wontons! You have to try this place, plus what was cool was that we were traveling Route 66 from one end to the other and its smack dab in the middle . Only place to get a beer and drink right in the middle of route 66. Good luck to them the place deserved to make it.
    I also saw a real cowboys!!!!!

Favorite Dish: Try the steaks!

• Religious Travel

English Field House Restaurant: The small box with the phenomenal kitchen

by der_geograf Written Jan 7, 2006

This is a small, unassuming, non-impressive little building nestled next to the aircraft maintenance barns and runways at Rick Husband Amarillo International Airport.

But don't be fooled! If you go when its crowded you may have to wait for a seat, but it's worth it! The interior walls are lined with patches donated by pilots of places they've been and ranks they've attained. The pillars inside have currencies from all over the world stapled to them. It's a diner-like, café setting in full view of the private and commercial airplanes taking off and landing at AMA.

If you're lucky, nearby Bell Helicopters may be testing out their V-22 Osprey, a plane that can turn its propellers upward and take off and land like a helicopter.

Favorite Dish: The grilled chicken and avocado sandwich, with potato salad. Pecan pie is also excellent.

• der_geograf's Profile Photo

BL Bistro: The place to go when you're tired of barbecue

by der_geograf Written Jan 11, 2006

I was taken here while interviewing for my present job. Who knew an old drive-thru bank could be dressed into such a classy place?!

BL Bistro is tucked rather modestly inside an area of Amarillo known as Wolflin Village, which is a cluster of shopping centers, hotels, homes and apartment complexes off Interstate 40 and Georgia Street in the middle of town. (People tell me it recently moved to this location.)

Wolflin Village is quite hectic during the middle of the day, and BL Bistro is quite an elegant, quiet gem in the middle of it all. The interior has a great feel to it -- dim lighting and cozy tables, with meals cooked by an excellent chef. They do serve barbecue, but why come to a place like this for that when you can have wine, tapas, and seafood cooked in an array of international dishes?

Some of those dishes are on the pricey side, but could be a LOT more expensive given their quality and the bistro's atmosphere. It is recommended that you call ahead for reservations, mid-afternoons are less busy.

Favorite Dish: I don't remember the name of it, but it was a shrimp dish, similar to an etouffee.

• lisa85202's Profile Photo

Coyote Bluff Cafe: Best Burgers, Cold Beer

by lisa85202 Updated Feb 7, 2012

I first heard of this little place on an episode of Man vs. Food. He raved about the "Burger From Hell". I have to travel to Amarillo occasionally for work, and I LOVE spicy food...so stopping at this place was a must.

A real charmer, this is for folks who appreciate a local dive with good American Food: Burgers and Beer! This is a tiny place, that the locals enjoy. Arrive early, as there is usually a line with only a few tables!

Closed Sunday and Monday

Favorite Dish: The Burger from Hell was probably the best burger I have ever had with lucious melted cheese, grilled jalapenos, onions and habernero sauce. It is not as big as it appeared on Man vs. Food, but every bit as delicious as I was expecting. Best enjoyed with a cold beer straight from the tub full of iced beers next to our table!!

• My favorite restaurant is...

by jgnajar Written Aug 25, 2002

My favorite restaurant is Calico County. This is a 'home-cookin'' type restaurant. They serve wonderful smothered steak, chicken fried steak, and roast beef. The fish is also pretty good. The veggies, especially the squash casserole are very good. Before your meal you are served hot rolls and cinnamon rolls that will almost melt in your mouth. The atmosphere is from very casual to dressy...whatever makes you comfortable.

Favorite Dish: My personal favorite is probably the smothered steak with squash casserole, dinner salad, and several of the cinnamon rolls.

Instant Answers: Amarillo

Comments

Amarillo Restaurants

Reviews and photos of Amarillo restaurants posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for Amarillo sightseeing.