Broken Spoke, Austin

Know about this? Rate It!

• Broken Spoke: Authentic Honky-Tonk

by texastourist5 Written Oct 5, 2011
    Broken Spoke Honky-Tonk

When we visited Texas we wanted to find a place that really felt like "TEXAS" and we found it when we walked through the doors to the Broken Spoke. This place is an authentic honky-tonk! We ate dinner and then went into the dancehall. We loved the fact that they had tables in the dancehall that we could sit ringside to the dancefloor which was jam packed with dancers. We should of taken the dance lessons! Our cocktail waitress, Megan, was very friendly and helpful. We will definitley be back to the Broken Spoke!!! Great country music and great atmosphere!

Dress Code: Mostly boots, jeans, t-shirts

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Broken Spoke: Country Dancehall

by msbrandysue Written Apr 13, 2009

Alright...Austin legend Broken Spoke was the first place I went to last time I was in Austin. I heard about it in 1000 Places to See and MANY other programs and magazines. I wasn't impressed with the food or service but was impressed at the originality and authenticity. There are dozens of pictures of many famous Texas heroes and celebrities that have been in Broken Spoke.

The food was not worth it. We read on their menu they had been voted best chicken fried streak by a few well-known magazines (won't name them here). Both my aunt and I ordered them and we both thought it was bad. The rolls had been microwaved and were impossible to bite into. The potato comes with nothing on it but you can put your own butter and sour cream. I thought I saw someone order some cheese fries and was way jealous!

The staff was very unhelpful. We got there before the dancing got started but there was only one waitress running everyone's orders. She kind of ran by and was perturbed that we wanted a menu. She stopped waitressing as more people came into dance (around 9pm) so we had to go up to the bar to pay our tab. It took almost 20 minutes to get to a bartender who would give us the time of day. I wanted to walk out but knew I couldn't.

On Thursday night it was $7 to get back into the dance hall. Man, was there an array of people! Young, old, casual, fancy, tattooed bikers, college kids, and everyone in between. The dance floor was packed and it was very crowded. I am severely claustrophobic so I didn't dare go in the back.

The bar was a joke. There are three bartenders going crazy. The bar is in the center of the place so the restaurant customers are trying to order and get drinks or refills. The dancers are trying to get drinks and water and then the third side is open for anyone in between trying to quench their dancing thirst.

If you want some authentic Texas dancing experience put on your boots and come on down. Anything other than that would no be worth it...Read more

Dress Code: Wow, ok, there was such a diversity. Dress up or down and you'll be fine. But I'd protect your toes from any missed steps.

• carlrea's Profile Photo

The Broken Spoke: Howdy

by carlrea Updated Jan 6, 2005

Honky Tonk

The Broken Spoke is a authentic country and western bar which plays excellent live music
    is full of your cowboys on a given evening
    and if you want to fit right in well have you heard the saying 'when in Rome do as the Romans do' well pack your Stetson and our Boots and you'll fit right in nicely.

Back in the sixties, the Spoke played host to countless country super stars and legends. George Strait, Ernest Tubb, Roy Acuff, and even Bob Wills tipped their hats from the stage at the far end of this old dance hall.

Willie Nelson started playing at the Spoke before he moved back from Nashville when he still had a crew cut and a sport coat - before he brought braids and tennis shoes to the forefront of country fashion. In fact, it's not a bit unusual to stumble into the Spoke on a Friday or Saturday night and find the Red-Headed Stranger kicked back against an amp, picking with whatever band is the featured entertainment of the night. It's no secret that the Broken Spoke is one of Willie's favorite hang-outs when he's home in Austin.

Dress Code: Stetson, Cowboy shirt, Buckle, and boots
    none really just dont go in dressed like a skateboarder.

• zypher's Profile Photo

The Broken Spoke: The Broken Spoke

by zypher Written Aug 25, 2002

Don't say I didn't warn you. They advertise themselves as The Last of the True Texas Dance Halls with a musical history that goes back to Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys.

Dress Code: Voted 'Best Honkeytonk in Texas' by Texas Highways magazine, and 'Best Dance Hall in the Nation' by Entertainment magazine. Guess that means that you can come as you are.

• AHSIMON's Profile Photo

Broken Spoke: The best little honky-tonk in Texas

by AHSIMON Updated May 13, 2005

The Broken Spoke is a Texas institution, as is its owner James M White (see photo). Have a chicken fried steak in the front bar - then wander out back for some of Texas' finest music.

Dress Code: Honky Tonk