Nightclubs and bars in Austin

Headhunters - The Applicators (2007)
    by Kaspian
    Headhunters - Crowd (2007)
    by Kaspian
    Headhunters - Hiney Dancer (2007)

Most Viewed Nightlife in Austin

• PhillyCheeseSteak's Profile Photo

Rebel's Honkytonk: Hot Austin Nightlife

by PhillyCheeseSteak Updated Aug 25, 2010

Ok... when I flew to Austin I was expecting to see cowpeople (cowboys and cowgirls) everywhere walking up and down the streets.... maybe even a gunslinger shoot out on main street at noon.... nope.... there's only one place in the downtown area that is true country.... pop-country (not Johnny Cash country) and that's Rebel's.... the sound is loud, the dance floor is fast, and some of the couples perform true acrobatics to the beat....

The mechanical bull is a ton of fun.... for a $5 bill you can give it your best shot... you can save the 5 spot if you agree to ride with slightly less attire than when you walked in... this applies only to the girls evidently though the sign on the wall does not specify gender... (I didn't ask... I prefer to interpret it as just a girls-only discount).... some girls were savers and took advantage of the break....

All in all..... a fun time was had by all......

I highly recommend it when in Austin!

Dress Code: Country code.... Dasiy Dukes or minis for the girls (I saw one girl wearing only a bandana tied in the back for a shirt) and guys... casual country...

• etfromnc's Profile Photo

unnamed: Live music capital of the world

by etfromnc Written May 10, 2010

Austin dubs itself the ‘Live Music Capital of the World’, not because of the number of famous bands from Austin but because of the fact that it has more live-music venues per capita than Nashville, Las Vegas, New York City, Memphis, or Los Angeles.
    To find one which suits your tastes, visit www.unlockaustin.com

• Music

• Downtown: Great Nightlife City!!!!!!

by Rox777 Written Mar 25, 2010

Austin's nightlife is awesome. I've been to this city many times and I've never had a bad time there. The nightlife downtown is vibing, cultured, and a fun experience. There are dozens and dozens of bars/clubs to choose from, so whatever your take is, it is sure to be there in Austin!! The best places would be 4th street for the young professionals crowd and 6th street for the young vibing college crowd.

You can't go wrong in Austin and you'll for surely leave with some positive experiences!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo

Music Under the Stars: Live Music at the Bob Bullock Museum

by VeronicaG Updated Aug 8, 2008

Live music fills the summer nights at Bob Bullock Texas History Museum at the Music Under the Stars concert series.

As I was planning our trip to Austin, I discovered this opportunity to not only enjoy a live band, but visit the museum free of charge on the same evening.

Free concerts are given Friday evenings from 6pm-9pm at the front entrance of the museum. At that time of day, a nice canopy of shade covers the bricked area so you'll be protected from the sun. Don't forget to bring your lawn chairs!

Music Under the Stars Concert
    • Museum Visits

• Kaspian's Profile Photo

Headhunters: Headhunters

by Kaspian Updated May 23, 2008

It's a crazy, humid night in this venue. Not only is there a live band playing punk rock in the main room, but just several feet away on the back patio a girl with a bright red wig who calls herself "Hiney Dancer" is singing a Blondie song with a different live band. The band on the patio is a karaoke band--that means anyone can get up and sing with them. There's an atmosphere of joyous, dangerous, chaos in here. ...Like anything could happen at any second and it would always be fun.
    The bartenders are working like mad to keep up. The wait for a drink isn't too long though, I usually get my bottle of Lonestar within five to ten minutes. They're friendly and make quick small talk.
    It's hot--everyone is covered with sweat. The crowd has reached that magical point of beer and heat equilibrium where everything becomes surreal.
    Upstairs from the patio is a small, dark bar. Chinese lanterns hang from the ceiling casting an ominous red glow over everyone there. Some people are sitting in lounge chairs. Is the beer finally getting to me or is this room made entirely of bamboo? The smell of sweet cannabis occasionally wafts through the air, lingering here and there only momentarily. Normal laws no longer apply. I think my friend and I are the only two people in this joint without elaborate tattoos.

Dress Code: Rock 'N' Roll!

Headhunters - The Applicators (2007) Headhunters - Crowd (2007) Headhunters - Hiney Dancer (2007) Headhunters - Crowd (2007) Headhunters - Dancing (2007)

Maggie Mae's: Good Music

by hope6481 Written Mar 22, 2008

We always stop by here while hitting the bars on 6th. There is usually a good band playing here. We first heard Eric Tessmer here. There's always lots of people and fun to be had.

Dress Code: Casual, it's 6th...there's no rules.

Coyote Ugly: It's cheesy I know

by hope6481 Written Mar 22, 2008

It's a tradition that everytime I go to Austin I have to stop into Coyote Ugly. It's everything you think it is. If you've seen the movie or watch the reality show then you know what to expect. It's not for the timid or shy, that's for sure. And I can never pass up the opportunity to dance on the bar.

Dress Code: Whatever goes

Speakeasy: Great Music

by hope6481 Updated Mar 22, 2008

At first I wasn't sure about this place. It's kinda small and feels old. We ordered a drink and headed to the roof top to check it out. Whoooaa, the stairs are scarey. They have to be a mile long, but we hiked them anyway. I am glad we did. The rooftop is wonderful. We sat at a private seating area lit only by a dim candle. We could see the hussle and bussle downtown. It was quiet and romantic. We talked for a while and then headed down that massive stairwell. When we made it back down stairs the band was ready to play. MoTown music is what they played and we enjoyed it. So did everyone else in Austin it seemed. That place got packed and we had a blast.

Dress Code: Dressy Casual

Pete's Dueling Piano Bar: So much Fun

by hope6481 Written Mar 21, 2008

This place is the place to be. It is so much fun. Two piano players sit on stage facing each other. They play back and forth, together, one at a time. They call people up out of the crowd to get on stage and help out. They encourage crowd participation, so don't be shy. They are absolutely hillarious. This place get extremely packed on the weekend so get there around 8pm or reserve a table. You will be elbow to elbow if you don't. You will not want to leave this place.

Dress Code: Whatever goes

• klasher's Profile Photo

One 2 One: Locals Bar

by klasher Written Mar 6, 2008

One 2 One bar is a great neighborhood bar with the best deck in downtown Austin. The bar itself is cozy with no cover ever! Greg and Destiny, the owners provide free Texas Hold em touraments and eclectic live bands. Or, head upstairs to the newly built spacious deck with a great view over 5th and Brazos.

Dress Code: Casual

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

Starlite Lounge: An unexpected gem

by bocmaxima Written Nov 6, 2007

We came into the Starlite while waiting for the hotel room to be cleaned to check in. It was just a random pick as it looked interesting and the brewery sign next door only yielded an abandoned building.
    From the outside, it actually looks more like a dive. The building is old and the sign is very '60's. But, stepping in, you can only think "high class."
    Brunch was still going on (it was past 1pm), but we just sat at the bar and I ordered a beer. They have four types of Live Oak (local brew) on draft as well as a large selection of bottles and mixed drinks. The place was very hip and I felt a little out of place, but very much enjoyed the large beer and the atmosphere. They also had some excellent music (I like indie rock though).
    I was worried about the price as I hadn't anticipated it being so upscale, but we were charged $4 for my big beer and my friend's hot tea (they weren't drinking). It's possible though that the bartender just didn't charge for the tea.
    I understand that the food is much more expensive, but I'll definitely come back.

Dress Code: No real dress code (I walked in in jeans and flip-flops), but it's a more upscale place. Business casual should be fine.

Hotel San Jose: My Favorite S. Congress Spot

by tee0206 Written Sep 18, 2007

I absolutely love the ambience at Hotel San Jose's lounge. It's located in a gorgeous, modern courtyard, next to a little swimming pool and surrounded by the stucco-walled buildings. It's classy, but not stuffy. It's cool, but not cold. Funky, but not weird. The beautifully cultivated garden atmosphere adds to the fresh, outdoor appeal. Unfortunately, the lounge closes at 10:30 for non-hotel guests, so get there early.

Dress Code: As always, Austin is pretty casual.

Doc's MotorWorks: S. Congress Patio

by tee0206 Written Sep 18, 2007

Doc's is located near the middle of the South Congress strip. The patio is huge, which allows for great people watching. It's a very popular spot to catch a football game on the TVs, as you will usually find quite a crowd during UT (University of Texas) game days. This bar probably has the best selection of beer on the popular South Congress strip (the only bar I can think of that might have a better selection near the area is Opal Divine's Penn Field, which is further south). The food is pretty good, too. And since it's located on S. Congress, people watching is excellent.

Dress Code: This place is very casual.

Key Bar: The Key to Enjoying a Beautiful Austin Evening

by tee0206 Written Aug 12, 2007

Key Bar is an excellent, open-air bar right on West 6th Street. The open-air atmosphere, complete with large misting fans, lends a tropical atmosphere that slightly reminds me of places I visited in Hawaii. The walls are part blue, part green, which helps the tropical feel. The crowd is mostly young professionals, enjoying happy hour after work. This bar can be very crowded on Friday evenings, as happy hour specials are decent. Beware of the jacked up prices after happy hour, though. Go for the special margarita, which comes with a homemade popsicle, or for a local beer such as Fireman's #4. Sit back and watch the attractive, well-dressed, under 40 crowd, as the open air environment is condusive to people watching.

Dress Code: This is Austin, so many places don't have very restrictive dress codes. If you're hitting West 6th or the Warehouse District, I would recommend dressing up a little more than if you were hitting regular 6th Street.

The Ginger Man: Excellent Beer Selection

by tee0206 Written Jun 8, 2007

The Ginger Man is a bar on the northwest corner of 4th and Lavaca. This place has an amazing beer selection. The menu is divided into beer by geographical location, I believe. If it's a nice day, you definitely should enjoy your beer outside. There's a large, fenced outdoor area behind the bar. I don't know exactly what it is about this place, but I love it. On Mondays at 6:00, order the beer of the day and you can keep the glass, which features the logo of the beer. Beware of this during the school year, though. The place will be crawling with college students, because we all know college students love free stuff. Generally, however, the clientele seems to be mostly men. After work, my coworkers and I enjoy going to Ginger Man for a drink before heading to 219 West for food. 219 West is also on 4th and Lavaca, and they have the best happy hour food specials in town.

Dress Code: There's really not a requirement here.

Austin Hotels

Latest Austin Hotel Reviews

La Quinta Inn Austin I-35 South Ben White
Driskill Hotel
Excellent (4.5 out of 5.0) 12 Reviews
Crowne Plaza Austin
Great (4.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Hampton Inn Austin - North (I-35 & Highway 183)
Habitat Suites
Best (5.0 out of 5.0) 1 Review
Doubletree Austin North
Barton Creek Resort & Spa
Very Good (3.5 out of 5.0) 2 Reviews

Instant Answers: Austin

Comments

Austin Nightlife

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Austin locals.
Map of Austin