Salt Lick, Austin

by pharsadi
  • apbeaches's Profile Photo

Salt Lick: Winery & BBQ Pit too

by apbeaches Written Apr 26, 2014

A real happening. We started in the winery purchasing our wine & cold beer. The lines were endless to sit inside. We ate in the courtyard with live music. The BBQ ribs, brisket & sides were just so good. Service was great.

Favorite Dish: wine & bbq

• Wine Tasting

• Salt Lick: Lunch is great!

by NancieA Updated May 23, 2007

The Salt Lick makes the BEST Bar-B-Q in the entire world. Watch it smoke on the huge open pit.
    Go for lunch for shorter wait and low prices. The Senior plate is $4.95 at lunch and includes
    ribs,brisket and saugage, potatoe salad, cole slaw ,beans, hot bread, crisp dill pickles and sliced sweet onions. All this for less than the price of a hamburger at most places.
    The atmosphere at the Dripping Springs original location is "real". Rustic original building
    steeped with Texas charm. Nothing fancy, but who wants fancy with bar-b-que.
    Popular with Texans and tourists alike. I promise you will return ASAP.
    Bring your own beer or wine as none is sold at the Salt Lick. Most prople bring a cooler full of their favorite. You can oder soft drinks and ice tea and coffee. The desserts are fantastic, homemade cobblers and pies plus Blue Bell ice cream.What more can you want.

Favorite Dish: My favorite dish is the mixed plate as it provides three meats of your choice. With a group try the family style. They just keep bringing what ever you want as long as you can eat.

• Seniors

• yoyosh's Profile Photo

Salt Lick: If You Love BBQ Don't Miss The Salt Lick

by yoyosh Written Jan 3, 2007

After talking to friends who had lived in Austin and checking out some other reviews on virtualtourist.com it became clear that my friends and I had to check out The Salt Lick in Dripping Springs.

Yes, its out of the way (20-25 minutes from downtown Austin), and you feel like you are driving down a back road straight out of Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but once you get there, its worth it.

There's a gas station about 8-10 miles from the restaurant, and make sure you stop there to bring your own beer. The restaurant is in a dry county and has no liquor liscence. It seems as if there's almost always a wait, so its great to have your own beer to help pass the time as you hang out and listen to the band before you get seated.

Favorite Dish: Ribs. Moist, tender, and cooked to perfection. Of course we took home a container of their dry rub. We also enjoyed the brisket, sausage, and turkey. The sides are very basic, but also fantastic. Who doesn't like "neverending beans"?

• biancaneve's Profile Photo

Salt Lick: get yer ass to driftwood texas

by biancaneve Written Oct 23, 2006

if you're in TEXAS, and you want to do it TExas style, please find DRIFTWOOD TExas, and go to the salt lick

don't be all vegetarian about it, ok?

Favorite Dish: surprisingly? the potato salad. Now, I am a woman who HATES, HATES mayonaisse , of any kind, for any reason.....
    The potato salad here has no mayonaiise....I think it's German style?
    Anyway, it's the best I've ever had.

• LiLz's Profile Photo

Salt Lick: Three words ... Oh, my God!

by LiLz Written Sep 3, 2006

The Salt Lick is outside Austin proper, in the hill country. It offeres the best barbecue I've ever eaten, and plenty of it! The sides are excellent. You bring your own beverages, which really saves on teh bill. In summer there's acoustic entertainment outside. The place is very rustic and family friendly.

Favorite Dish: I loved the ribs. Actually, I loved everything I tried.

• patatina's Profile Photo

Salt Lick: Amazing BBQ!

by patatina Written Aug 5, 2006
    Photo from the Salt Lick website

It's a casual place with great, great, great food! We still compare it to other BBQ places we've been to and we haven't found a place as good, especially for the brisket! When we went we ordered combination of meats that we shared between three people with heaping plates and sides of potato salad, cole slaw, beans, pickles etc. It was a filling, delicious dinner and if we're ever in the area again, we will definitely go back!

It was about a 15 to 20 minute drive from Austin center if I remember correctly.

• AHSIMON's Profile Photo

Salt Lick: Bigger than Texas BBQ

by AHSIMON Written Apr 15, 2005

The Salt Lick is beyond description. The meals are huge, the atmosphere is so texan that you can never forget where you are.

Only one complaint - why the plactic tumblers to enjoy our wines ?

Favorite Dish: BBQ buffett plate

• Sunshine64's Profile Photo

The Salt Lick - try it in the...

by Sunshine64 Updated Aug 25, 2002

The Salt Lick - try it in the Airport, if nothing else.
    The 'real' Salt Lick is actually several miles outside of Austin, out in the country, down a long, winding road. I went there once, and it was interesting. But, they have a restaurant in the Airport, which I visit almost every trip to Austin.

Favorite Dish: Brisket BBQ Sandwich

• The Salt Lick: The Salt Lick

by Kibster Written Aug 24, 2002

You sit outside under trees on the grounds of an old foundry. You bring your own beer, since its not served in this area. They often have live music as well. Very laid back atmosphere.

Favorite Dish: Brisket, ribs, etc. It is all-you-can-eat and everything is great.

• pharsadi's Profile Photo

Salt Lick: Meat, Meat .... and more Meat !!

by pharsadi Written Jan 28, 2006

Front Yard

This place is located out of nowhere. We had to drive a good hour or so to get here from Austin. But it was all worth it. Their BBQ is the best !

Favorite Dish: Order the family style dinner. All you can eat BBQ!.

Instant Answers: Austin

Comments

Hotels Near Salt Lick
4.0 out of 5 stars