Canton Travel Guide

Pic is from our room
    by CANTONSHOPPER
  • Our room is on top Best view Saloon Girls!!!!!
    Our room is on top Best view Saloon...
    Arbors from our room

Canton Things to Do

You have to try one!

by VeronicaG Updated Feb 29, 2008

Every once in a while, as Jim and I would be traveling through the small towns of Texas, we'd notice a sign announcing FRIED PIES. We never took the time to stop and sample one and I so regret it!

Canton offers many food booths, but my favorite was the booth selling fried pies. It was located outside of The Arbors marketplace, on the left of the building by the fresh produce stalls.

I ordered apple, while my friend ordered cherry, then we swapped halves. What a delectable concoction of flaky crust, warm fruit and luscious taste! They resemble small "snack pies" that I remember from my childhood. If you ever have the opportunity to try one...do!

by VeronicaG Updated Feb 29, 2008

When we were in Albuquerque for the Balloon Fiesta this year, I really wanted a special memento from this trip. Naturally, anything related to this event was fairly expensive.

As I was browsing the booths at Canton, I discovered this beautiful hot air balloon ornament for the Christmas tree. At $12.99, I not only have a great token of our Albuquerque visit, but did NOT have to pay top price for it. The ornament measures 5' long by 3 1/2 inches wide.

TIP: Other things you might want to price are hand made wood crafts, or leather products, just to name a couple.

Free Bus Shuttle 1 more image

by VeronicaG Updated Feb 29, 2008

Since Donna, had been to Canton many times, she recommended parking at the Canton Marketplace, then take a shuttle to The Arbors. Parking was $3 or $4. She said it was so much easier getting out of this location, rather than the parking spaces around or across the street from The Arbors, etc. (picture #2)

The Canton Marketplace has aisle after aisle of clothing, floral arrangements, home accessories, bedding, ceramics, lamps, etc. There are about 150 vendors in this location. I would call it the first stop to your CANTON adventure, but don't just look here...continue on the bus to THE ARBORS.

The shuttle bus stops regularly and will return you to the same spot. There is no additional fee. We had to wait about 15-20 minutes for our return trip and the packages did get heavy, but just be patient, converse with those around you and the time will fly by.

Canton Hotels

Canton Restaurants

Perkins Place by The Arbors

by VeronicaG Updated Feb 29, 2008

After a full morning of shopping, we were famished. Perkins Place was located outside of The Arbors and beneath a small roofed area near a circle of benches, making it a great place to grab a bite for lunch.

I ordered a tasty Turkey Wrap ($6.00), which came halved, so it was easy to share with my shopping buddy, who actually had her eye on the Corn Dogs booth to the right, but was happy to split a sandwich with me instead.

We relaxed for a moment and people-watched. I was amazed to see how many folks brought their small dogs with them in their shopping carts and not an obnoxious one in the bunch!

Canton Favorites

First Monday Trade Grounds

by VeronicaG Updated Nov 19, 2007

Favorite thing: I am including a map and directions to the First Monday Trade Grounds, but for a clearer version please see www.firstmondaycanton.com.

From 120: Exit 526, go South on FM 859 approximately 1.5 miles. Turn left at the West Gate Entrance

From Hwy. 19 and Hwy. 64: at the intersection of Hwy. 19 and Hwy. 64, go West on 64-through 1 stop sign downtown, then approximately 1 mile. Turn right at the Civic Center Entrance. This entrance will lead you to the Log Cabin and West Gate Entrance. Or you can continue just beyond that entrance and go North at the Red Light at FM 859.

Hours: daylight to dark. For more information call 903-567-6556

It's HUGE!!

by VeronicaG Updated Nov 19, 2007

Favorite thing: Tips for your Canton Visit:

*Wear comfortable shoes--you've got a lot of walking to do

*If you don't have a fanny pack, buy one--it leaves your hands free to lug packages

*For committed shoppers: purchase a small, lined shopping cart to tote your purchases

*Print out a map of the grounds from the website: www.cantontradedays.com

*Take extra money for a quick bite to eat and a beverage--I'd advise taking a bottle of water, too

*Frequent visitor tip: Spring and Fall is the best time to visit--it's less crowded

*GO EARLY!!!

Hours are: daylight until dark

• Canton Hotels

10 Hotels in Canton

25 Reviews and Opinions

Instant Answers: Canton

Comments

Canton Travel Guide
Map of Canton