Cleburne Travel Guide

  • Johnson County Courthouse
    Johnson County Courthouse
    by Basaic
  • Historic District
    Historic District
    by Basaic
  • Carnegie Library Building
    Carnegie Library Building
    by Basaic

Cleburne Things to Do

  • Basaic's Profile Photo
    Johnson County Courthouse 2 more images

    by Basaic Written Jul 11, 2012

    The town was established in 1854 along the Chisholm Trail and was originally called Camp Henderson. The town was renamed Cleburne after Confederate General Patrick R. Cleburne in 1867. The county was named after Texas Confederate Colonel Middleton T. Johnson. The first courthouse here was moved from the town of Buchanan (the former county seat) in 1867. That courthouse was replaced in 1883 by a larger courthouse designed by W. C. Dodson using the Second Empire style of architecture (part of which is on display on the courthouse grounds). The current courthouse was built in 1912 by architects Lang & Witchell, using the Prairie School style of architecture. The design is dominated by the six story clock tower.

    Related to:
    • Historical Travel
    • Road Trip
    • Architecture

    Was this review helpful?

Cleburne Hotels

See all 15 Hotels in Cleburne

Instant Answers: Cleburne

Get an instant answer from local experts and frequent travelers

92 travelers online now

Comments

Cleburne Travel Guide
Map of Cleburne

View all Cleburne hotels