College Station Favorites

Most Recent Favorites in College Station

• Basaic's Profile Photo

by Basaic Written Jun 6, 2013

College Station

Favorite thing: College Station is a city of about 97,000 (up 40% since 2000) located along Texas Highway 6 and US Highway 190. The city is in the Brazos Valley in East Central Texas. College Station is located in the vicinity of San Antonio, Dallas and Houston; a very populous area. The city was established in 1860 and Texas A&M, from which the city gets its name, opened in 1876. "College Station" was not incorporated, however, until 1938.

Fondest memory: Texas A & M and the great restaurants and bars. A very cute girl named Amber.

• Singles

• Boozoo's Profile Photo

Ask anyone... they all know...

by Boozoo Written Aug 25, 2002

Favorite thing: Ask anyone... they all know where to find the Academic Building on campus. From there you'll find the statue of Lawrence Sullivan Ross (Sully) polished bright... and the flag pole where names are placed for Silver Taps every month. Also look for Sbisa, the Fish Pond (ask about post game yell practice), the YMCA building, Kyle Field, the statue of E King Gill, the Memorial Student Center... even the Library is a cool place to visit. Oh wow there is so much to see right there on campus!

If you're into camping, you can also venture out about 20 miles to the west to Lake Somerville - it's usually a very quiet little lake.

Fondest memory: If you happen to be there on a home game football weekend, don't miss Midnight Yell. Show up Friday night at Kyle Field and you'll see fans from both teams in the stands doing Yell Practice at midnight. I doubt if any school in the world can reproduce the atmosphere our Yell Practices have :-)

If you decide to go to a game at Kyle Field, make sure you don't get tickets in the student section unless you enjoy getting sun baked for 4 hours and you don't mind standing up for the duration of the game (except for briefly at halftime).

• AdriannaTex's Profile Photo

AdriannaTex's General Tip

by AdriannaTex Written Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory: Living next to Kyle Field is a little surreal. I went to UCSD and we didn't have any school spirit. Now, I can't keep the school spirit out even if I close my doors, windows, and turn the t.v. volume up high! Actually, I like this part of A&M... the field is huge and it's neat to be so close. My house is right about here ----

• AdriannaTex's Profile Photo

Stroll Northgate.

by AdriannaTex Written Aug 25, 2002

Fondest memory: Living in College Station, you are either an Aggie or a 'Two-percenter.' I guess I'm a Two-percenter because I don't embrace all the Aggie traditions. When I moved here, I got a job with the Chamber of Commerce. One of my first assignments was to create an invitation for an event that was sponsored by A&M. I made the invitation and went to have it printed. I told the lady at the copy store that I wanted the invitation printed on orange paper since it was a breakfast event and I thought that was a nice, bright color. She said, 'No, no, no... you don't want to do that!' I had no clue why. I said to just print it on orange and she shook her head while she wrote down my order. I thought about it for a minute and decided, well, maybe she knows better than I. I just figured that she 'bled maroon' (die-hard Aggie) and that she thought all A&M-associated things should be represented in some shade of red. I picked a red color and moved on with the day. Later, I told the President of the Chamber, my boss, about my original orange pick and he just about died. He told me that orange was the color of their arch enemy and major rival, University of Texas. If all those invitations had gone out in orange, every A&M person would have called to find out what kind of joke was being played on them. I would have been seriously in danger of losing my new job. That is one of my many faux pas with the Aggie tradition. If you visit or move here, familiarize yourself with the Aggie world of traditions first! I learned my lesson.

Instant Answers: College Station

Comments

College Station Favorites

Reviews and photos of College Station favorites posted by real travelers and locals. The best tips for College Station sightseeing.

View all College Station hotels