Parks / Lakes, Dallas

Know about this? Rate It!

Mansions in West Village
    Appartment building on Turtle Creek
  • Appartment buildings not for average American
    Appartment buildings not for average...
  • OlenaKyiv's Profile Photo

Travel in search of The Mansion on Turtle Creek

by OlenaKyiv Written Mar 20, 2006
    Mansions in West Village

I decided to walk from West Village to Mansion on Turtle Creek. Tell you the truth I didn't see anything interesting about Mansion; however, I discovered nice park area along the creek with tall fashionable buildings. Try Turtle Creek Dr and Cedar Springs to see new condominium buildings with prices of condos counting in millions.

I know I don't live in such condo but it is fun to see how rich people live. I imagine what I can see in LA :-)

• Architecture

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

Old City Park

by grandmaR Updated Oct 16, 2005

Potter at Old City Park

In 1997 when I went on the city tour, it was Monday, and the Old City Park was closed. So when I visited my daughter in 2004, this was one of the places I wanted to see. I didn't remember the name of it and I confused it with some other Victorian homes I saw (the Beilharz and Wilson Blocks), so it was a little difficult to figure out where it was.

Originally the City Park was set up in 1876 for the centenial. Now Old City Park has 38 structures built between 1840-1910 which have been brought in and set up on this site. They include a working Civil War era farm, a traditional Jewish household, elegant Victorian homes, a school, a church & commercial buildings.

When we were here in mid May, there were many school groups visiting and there were various craftsmen demonstration the skills of early settlers. In addition to this potter, we saw a blacksmith and a lady shearing sheep.

• Museum Visits

• biljah's Profile Photo

Just may be the Best kept Secret in Dallas.

by biljah Updated Feb 26, 2005

Park Sign

This park is a hidden gem that is so close to the beaten path of dallas but yet it feels like a world away! It is near Turtle Creek Blvd and adjacent to the Dallas Country Club. The park and lake is located in Highland park which is an area of very impressive homes just north of Downtown Dallas. The park is full of bridges, waterfalls, pathways, sculptures, trees, rivers, lakes, and stone walls. This is a great resting spot after a long day. It is a very peaceful spot to go and walk around. Everywhere you look there is a bench just waiting to be used as a nature observatory. In a short walk I so quite a lot of wildlife for being so close to downtown. I saw ducks, squirles, birds, and city dwellers walking their domesticated dogs.

Off the beaten path of Lakeside Park

River and Waterfall

This just may be my favorite spot to go to at Lakeside park. Not many people take the time to walk down the path to the stairs that lead down to the rivers edge. It is a wonderful sight to look at the aterfall while standing on the rocky edge of the river. It is so peaceful and soothing to hear the water flowing and the birds chirping.

• biljah's Profile Photo

Cross Lakeside Bridge to get to the teddy bears!

Lakeside Lake

You have to cross this bridge to get to the teddy bears, but the best part of the park trip may be the journey across the bride since there is a lake on one sida and a water fall on the other side. On your venture across the foot bridge you can also see cute little ducks swimming across the lake.

Teddy bears at lake SidePark

Teddy Bear Sculpture

The bears were Sculpted by J.T. Willaims. They were donated by the Harlan Crow Family on December 25, 1995. I have three other pictures and directions of the Teddy bears in my albums section of my homepage. This park is actualy called Lakeside Park, but we refer to this section as teddy bear park.

• goingsolo's Profile Photo

Whiterock Lake

by goingsolo Written Sep 23, 2004
    Whiterock Lake

Dallas is such a lanlocked and industrial city that any park or lake is going to be an off the beaten path sight. For those visitors who get tired of seeing only buildings, Whiterock Lake is only minutes from downtown. There is a jogging trail that circles the lake and its a nice spot for a picnic.

830 East Lawther Drive

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Bachman Lake

by keeweechic Updated May 25, 2004

Bachman Lake covers 205 acres and is on the northern side of Love Field (Dallas' other airport). There is a 3 mile walking/jogging track which encircles the lake and is a popular spot for cyclists as well. Fishing and boating are allowed on the lake and dogs are allowed on a leash (as long as you pick up - otherwise be prepared for hefty fines). The Dallas Rowing Club has its boathouse on the lake's shore.

Address: 2530 Webb Chapel Extension/Northwest Hwy

• keeweechic's Profile Photo

Arlington Six Flags over Texas

by keeweechic Updated Apr 3, 2003

The park celebrated its 40th anniversary in May 2001. Six Flags is set on over 200 acres. Aside from the rides there are stunt shows and musical reviews and a puppet theatre. After all the wonderful weather we had had, the day we went to Six Flags was grey and bleak, windy and amazingly cold after previously experiencing 32C temps. It certainly put a damper on the day and because of the winds, some of the rides were closed and of course the photos didn't turn out that spectacular.

Lake Lavon

by btex Updated Dec 21, 2002

lake lavon

To tell the truth..Lake Lavon isn't that great. It's another Texas man-made lake that isn't very inspirational. The water isn't very clear - there are old, dead trees sticking up out of the water...and I wouldn't eat any fish from that lake...even though the fishing is supposed to be pretty good. But, it is close to Dallas...there is a hiking/horse riding trail...boats will float on the water...there are a few parks that can be used for picnics or whatever. Basically, if you want to get away from Dallas urban-life, Lake Lavon is one of the few really close locations to do that. It's north east of Dallas - near the town of Wylie - about a 30-40 minute drive.

Heard Museum

by btex Written Feb 25, 2003

trail in Heard

Heard Museum - it's just outside the town of McKinney (about a 30-40 minute drive from D.) It's a nature reserve and museum about natural history of the area. They keep birds that have been injured and that can't return to the wild. There are also nature trails where you'll see native trees and plants and animals...it's what the area would still look like if the farmers hadn't cut all the trees down all those years ago.

• Eco-Tourism
    • Hiking and Walking

Lone Star Park

by btex Written Nov 14, 2002

Lone Star Park - it's a horse racing facility in the town of Grand Prairie (again between Dallas and Ft. Worth.) The first time I went I had beginner's luck and came out on top. But, my luck ran out on the several times that I returned - which made me not think too highly of betting anymore. Yet, it's a nice track and a good time.

• lars_m's Profile Photo

If you are looking for a good...

by lars_m Written Aug 26, 2002

If you are looking for a good place to go jogging or walking in Dallas check out White Rock Lake. I have travelled to Dallas several times on business and have enjoyed running at the lake.

Check out http://www.cccd.org/

• Cherie_J's Profile Photo

Celestial Park....This is a...

by Cherie_J Written Aug 25, 2002

Celestial Park....

This is a favorite of mine...it is close to the house, and my favorite part is tucked away area that most people are unaware of...This picture is the winter of 1995 or 1996?

It is a great place for picnics...reading, cloud gazing, day dreaming, organizing your thoughts, setting goals, etc. etc...

• brdwtchr's Profile Photo

I listed Old City Park as off...

by brdwtchr Written Aug 25, 2002

I listed Old City Park as off the beaten path. For any one interested it is a must see place. I like history and that is why I went to see it. From all over Texas they have gathered well preserved historical buildings and moved them to a park inside the city of Dallas. To walk there is like visiting a town of 100 years in the past. We got some great old souvenir school books for my father there. One of the ladies showed us how she cooked her dinner. Many people in costume to guide you through the park. Old City Park is closed on Mondays.

Instant Answers: Dallas