Places to eat in Dallas

Most Viewed Restaurants in Dallas

• Lukeoline's Profile Photo

Ojeda's Mexican Food: Best Tex-Mex in Dallas!

by Lukeoline Updated May 8, 2014

This is the best Tex-Mex in Dallas, IMO. Quick service, fiesta-ish atmosphere, great regular and top-shelf margaritas. Their salsa can be spicy. Tell them to bring you out a milder salsa, and they will. While brisket tacos are my favorite, they have great fajitas, sour cream chicken enchiladas, chili rellenos, and breakfast tacos served all day.
    Dallas is known for it's many Tex-Mex restaurants. Ojeda's is consistently great Tex-Mex and my go-to as a local.
    ¡Ole!

Favorite Dish: Best dish hands down:Brisket tacos-slightly spicy shredded beef with grilled peppers and onions, cheese, sour cream, pico de gallo, and cheese. Oh, and guacamole and baracho beans (traditional Mexican bean soup with subtle bacon flavor) come with the brisket tacos. All wrapped in a corn tortilla (can get flour).....perfection. There is enough meat on the 3 tacos that you can make extra tacos or share the meal, especially, if you get the queso and over-eat on the chips and salsa.

Twisted Root Burger Co.: Unique service

by blueskyjohn Written Apr 12, 2013

Twisted Root is a place that locals go. It has been featured on Triple D, but that doesn't really tell you how service is. The location has the appearance that is run down but I think that is the look they are going for. When you walk in it is not real clear whether you should seat yourself or wait or what. I caught on pretty quick by just following the locals. You have to walk up to the counter and place your order. Everyone I saw there knew what they wanted. I did not and was trying to read the small writing of the board above the counter. I felt rushed and didn't know the burger came with no sides. I placed my order and the counter person hands be a card with the name of a super hero. I wonder around a bit waiting for my food then I finally catch on that they have a girl calling out super hero names when the food is ready. This is comical as she ad libs some commentary about the super hero.

I ordered the Frito Bandito which is Texas chili, guac, cheddar & Fritos. It was very good but I was still hungry since not even the person who took my order asked if I wanted any sides with my burger.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Kozy Kitchen: Venison Sausage and French Toast!

by blueskyjohn Written Apr 10, 2013

Kozy is a nice little restaurant tucked away down McKinney Ave. Doesn't look like much from the outside but nicely decorated interior. I arrived just as they opened for breakfast. Clean place and helpful wait staff. I ordered "The B" which is 2 Eggs any style (I ordered scrambled), Maple Glazed Venison Sausage, 1 Buttermilk pancake & 1 slice of their Famous Challah French Toast. It was a lot to eat. The french toast was excellent and so was the venison sausage. However the pancake was not very fluffy and actually a little "solid." I almost couldn't cut it with a fork.

I would definitely go here again and get a full order of the French Toast then just a side order of the venison sausage.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Cosmic Cafe: Vegetarian in Cattle country?

by blueskyjohn Updated Apr 9, 2013

Yes! And great vegetarian food! I did not seek this place out. I was driving down Oak Lawn and saw this uniquely decorated house with a Buddhist motif. I caught the name as I went by and did a google search when I got back to my room. Turns out it is a well review vegetarian restaurant that also offers yoga and meditation sessions. I went the next day.

Glad I did. Had the No Bull Burger which is a black bean burger topped with mushrooms, onions, lettuce, tomatoes and a choice of cheese. I ordered mine with mozzarella and replaced the mushrooms with avocado. Very good. If I lived here I can see visiting a few days a week. The menu has very catchy names for their meal. Would love to go back and sample more.

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Perry's Steakhouse and Grille: Famous Pork Chop should not be missed!

by blueskyjohn Written Apr 8, 2013

Perry's is an incredible dinning experience. It started off a little rough but great customer service came through. I stopped in for a late dinner, arriving around 9pm. Reservations are highly recommended. But at that late time I was able to get a table. Several hostesses were working the front. I requested a table in the covered outdoor area. When I was walked out to the patio area the table they were going to seat me at was missing. Some confusion but another hostess walked out and sat me at a stand up table tucked away in front of a fire place. Really nice view of the fire in the foreground and the street in the background. I was left with a menu and wine list.

Here is where the rough start begins. No one came to take my drink or food order for 15 minutes. I eventually walked back to the hostess station to let them know and the assistant manager, Mark, was present and offered a very sincere. He walked me back to my table and offered to buy me a glass of wine. I am not a big drinker but I notice they had Jordan on the wine list by the glass. I like this for sentimental reason but is was $27. I mentioned this to Mark and he said no problem, it is on the house. He also took my order and soon after my waitress came out very apologetic.

I started with the Asian Ahi Tuna Tartare. Let me say that this was delicious! And it was a very large portion. Next up for the main course I had the "Perry’s Famous Pork Chop". This is not one pork chop but it is actually three and is cut by my waitress table side. The chop comes with home made applesauce but there is surprisingly very little applesauce. The chop was perfect and delicious. I also ordered the Butternut Squash Puree as a side but it had chunks of beacon and I wasn't a fan of this.

Overall an excellent experience

Favorite Dish: The Asian Ahi Tuna Tartare. I can eat that everyday.

Asian Ahi Tuna Tartare

• blueskyjohn's Profile Photo

Bread Winners Cafe: Great breakfast tacos!

by blueskyjohn Written Apr 8, 2013

The Bread Winners I went to is in the downtown area in an old brick house converted into a restaurant. They have several other locations around Dallas. When you walk in there is a small area with some items for sale and a glass counter display with various donuts and muffins. on the left another on the right with cakes. There are different dining areas because it is an old house. The do have outside dining in the front. I sat in a front dining area with views of the street.

The wait staff were very helpful and attentive. I ordered the breakfast Taco which is 2 flour tortillas, eggs, chorizo, onions, peppers & cheddar with salsa, jalapeño & brunch potatoes. First the chorizo was awesome. I had mine without onion and I said light on the jalapenos. My waitress said they came on the side but turned out I didn't get any. This was ok because the chorizo made it spicy enough. Another stand out was the potatoes. Herb flavored and very savory.

The menu had some great options. Would definitely go here on my next visit to sample other items.

Asador: Good, fresh food

by blueskyjohn Written Apr 8, 2013

Had lunch here because it was in the hotel I was staying at. Looked nice and modern with some nice choices on the menu. I started with an order of the guacamole and chips. If I see this on a menu I always order. Asador's version is definitely above average. A little spicier than a typical guacamole dip. They give you a lot. I could not finish because the rest of my lunch game but I took what was left back to my room.

After the guacamole, I had the Achiote Grilled Chicken Breast Sandwich which came with black bean and corn salsa, avocado, lemon aioli on top. A little on the small side but very tasty and perfect size considering the guacamole I had.

Favorite Dish: The sandwich was very good. But that alone might not have been enough for me.

• Komali: Easter Brunch at Komali

by jtiller Written Mar 22, 2013

In addition to Komali’s regular contemporary Mexican cuisine Sunday brunch menu, the Uptown restaurant by Abraham Salum will have Easter dining specials on March 31th, 10:30am-3:30 pm. Reservations suggested. Call 214/252-0200. 4152 Cole Ave. www.komalirestaurant.com

• Salum: Salum Wine Dinner

by jtiller Written Feb 22, 2013

The four-course menu for the Dallas dinner also includes appetizer, cheese, and dessert courses. Among the offerings are “bonbon of cannelloni with duck and foie gras”, “Monkfish on red velvet potatoes”, and “veal tenderloin with morels in truffle sauce.”

Cost of the Catalan dinner is $120.00 per person including Spanish wines with each course plus tax and gratuity. Dinner begins at 7:00 pm. Reservations are limited.

Salum is located at 4152 Cole Ave. #103 @ Fitzhugh. Hours of operation are M-F 11:30-2:30 and 6-10:30. Sat. 6-10:30. For reservations call 214-252-9604. For more information
    www.salumrestaurant.com

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Schlotzsky's: My Favorite Sandwich!

by msbrandysue Written Sep 16, 2012

Schlotzsky’s is one of my very favorite places to eat. It’s a sandwich shop that you can take out or eat in the shop with plenty of tables always available. It’s a bit pricier ($6-7 for a sandwich) than most other sandwich shops but definitely worth it.

It's a place where you order at the counter, then wait for your food and pick it up when they call your number. It's very casual and I'm sure you'll love the food! This specific one has a drive through and I usually pick it up while I leave for out of town (back to Houston).

Open daily Mon-Sat: 10:30am-9:00pm; Sun: 11:00am-4:00pm
    Includes Free WIFI and has a Cinnabon Express with it for dessert

Favorite Dish: The highlight is the sandwiches. They make it with thick sourdough bread and very thinly sliced meat. Then they sprinkle cheese (the best is a mixture of cheddar and mozzarella) on one piece of bread and run it through an oven conveyor belt. Therefore the sandwich is warm and very tasty. The Original is their signature sandwich and comes with: “Home of The Original® Sandwich. Lean smoked ham, Genoa and cotto salamis, and melted cheddar, mozzarella, and parmesan cheeses layered with black olives, red onion, lettuce, tomato, mustard and our signature dressing on toasted Sourdough bread.” (From the website.)

Their sandwiches are quite large. I’ve never ordered a large, the mediums are quite enough when you’re at your hungriest.

Their original chips are delicious! Their pizzas are as well. The cheese and pizza is definitely worth trying, also cooked on a sourdough. The bbq chicken looks just as good but it’s hard not to get my favorite sandwich, the turkey and cheese.

• LBKesner's Profile Photo

Bread Winners Bakery/Bistro: Yummy Fruit Breads and Dessert

by LBKesner Updated Jul 4, 2012

"My" location is the one in Uptown, but there are others scattered about the Dallas-Fort Worth area. If you're lucky, you'll get a plate of fruit breads, cakes, or muffins when you arrive. Atrium is nice for an inside brunch.

Favorite Dish: They make a great salad!

Best of outside and inside.... There is free valet parking across the street. Outside seating or interesting interior tables.... Bread Winners is next door to The Quarter bar.
    • Women's Travel

• LBKesner's Profile Photo

Baboush: Go on a Thursday for Belly-Dancing Entertainment

by LBKesner Written Jun 19, 2012

This Mediterranean restaurant just off of McKinney Avenue on City View in Dallas' Uptown/West Village area offers great cocktails, fabulous couscous and kabobs, and an interesting decor. Use the restroom; there's always a sample of a luxurious, delicious-smelling moisturizing salts!

Favorite Dish: Most surprising fact about Baboush: this Mediterranean restaurant serves the best French fries in Dallas!

If there is belly-dancing, it must be a Thursday!

Babe's Chicken Dinner House: Chicken for the Family

by msbrandysue Written Feb 7, 2012

Since moving to Houston I have come to miss Babe’s Chicken more than any other restaurant in Dallas. This restaurant is one of those authentic Texas places where neighbors and waiters become your new best friends of the night and it’s like being at Christmas dinner with your entire, extended family.

If coming on a Friday or Saturday night you’re going to have some wait time. And if it’s cold outside, you’ll be quite cold out there in the open-air waiting area, or porch. They do have heat lamps but if it’s COLD, you’ll be cold, too. But, it’s worth it, I promise!

The family-style dining area means you may have your own table or you may be hitched up next to another family right beside ya. Don’t let it worry you, though!

Prices are an even $11.99 per person, not counting the ribs for $13.99 at certain locations/times. The best time to come is when the place is hopping and the waiters do a sing/dance around the top of the hour. Patrons are encouraged to get up in the middle of the restaurant and hokey pokey with them too.

Have fun! You won’t regret the recommendation. I can’t wait to go back!

Monday-Friday
    Lunch - 11a.m. to 2 p.m.
    Dinner - 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.

Saturday & Sunday
    All Day
    11 a.m. to 9 p.m.

Favorite Dish: The food is the highlight. There’s not even a menu! I believe there are about 7 different options including fried chicken, chicken tenders, catfish, chicken fried steak, smoke chicken and pot roast. May I HIGHLY suggest the catfish? I get it every time; it’s delicious!! The sides are all brought family-style in big bowls to pass around the table. These include mashed potatoes, cream corn, green beans and tasty dinner rolls. The salad (in Italian dressing only) that starts the meal is just as good. You can ask for as many rounds of sides as you need.

Day shot of the restaurant from Carrollton Square

• msbrandysue's Profile Photo

Angry Dog: Bar Food at its BEST!

by msbrandysue Updated May 22, 2011

If you are Vegan or severely health conscious you may want to read on to the next tip. But if every now and then you like to get a good fatty, greesy goodness that makes your heart wail then read on!

I learned about Angry Dog from many of the Dallas publications that are around town. It has received MANY different Dallas foodie awards (see the additional picture of their menu which seems to be a trophy to their establishment or see the additional website I posted). Since I went with such a big group I was glad to get to taste so much food. And the atmosphere was very homey. Wooden tables and chairs were scattered beside the bar that walks the length of the place. TVs are on the wall to catch the games going on, although they aren't gigantic. Angry Dog is a Dallas staple, though. And being in Deep Ellum it has an amazing bar with over 100 different kinds of beer.

***A bit of a warning for those going with smaller children. The bathrooms are kind of raunchy, covered with semi naked celebrity pictures and some risque than others.

Hours:
    11 a.m. to Midnight Monday thru Thursday
    11 a.m. to 2 a.m. Friday and Saturday
    Noon to 10 p.m. on Sunday

Favorite Dish: I went with a big group of my family so we got some appetizers. The queso was great, fried pickles were AMAZING and my Angry Dog was fantastic. So good.... But my mom's BLT looked too tempting, which bacon the width of almost an inch, and so crunchy. Everyone loved their meal...So, the hard part will definitely be choosing what you want to eat.

Men's Bathroom
    • Singles
    • Beer Tasting

Dunn Bros. Coffee: Coffee for a Cause

by msbrandysue Updated May 21, 2011

Dunn Bros is another small coffeehouse chain that I've seen in Houston and Dallas. They have good coffee and an even better atmosphere. It's very similar to Starbucks in that you'll see people studying, reading, and on their laptops when you enter. But the servers are as equally as friendly and the community awareness is inspiring. When I went to this particular store in Addison I found local community happenings on the windows, local papers giving local events, and papers available to read for free laying on the tables.

My favorite thing about Dunn Bros is their community give-back program. Volunteer organizations can sign themselves up and when customers use their give-back card Dunn Bros will give the organizations a few cents from their coffee purchase. My mother signed her organization Operation Lone Star up and they have received some donations through it. You better believe Starbucks surely doesn't do that. The website below also shows how involved Dunn Bros is with the community. Love that kind of a company when supporting with my purchases!

They also have live music every now and then. No one famous, just little coffeeshop players.

Monday-Sunday they close at 10pm

The Guest Lodge at Cooper Aerobics Center
Latest: May 3, 2014
The Westin City Center

Instant Answers: Dallas

Comments

Dallas Restaurants

Travel tips and advice posted by real travelers and Dallas locals.
Map of Dallas