Guadalupe Cathedral sits in the cultural district of the city and is a perfect example of High Victorian Gothic Architecture (pics #2-3). It was designed by, Nicholas J. Clayton, 'premier architect of 19th century Texas'.
The first Catholic parish, Sacred Heart Church, was established in 1869 by the Bishop of Galveston. The original location was on Bryan and Ervay Streets.
In time, the parish outgrew this church and plans were made to construct a larger one whose cornerstone was laid on June 17, 1898. It was renamed the Cathedral of the Sacred Heart. It served its members well through the years, but attendance dwindled by the 1960's.
The church was renamed Cathedral Sanctuario de Guadalupe in 1977 after a neighboring church, Our Lady of Guadalupe Church, outgrew its walls and the two parishes decided to merge.
Now, it primarily serves the Hispanic community and features both English and Spanish speaking services.