White Rock Lake, Dallas
White Rock Lake is a nice place to get away from the Dallas traffic and car exhaust. You'll often see people sailing, or rowing, or kayaking around the lake. My dream house is also located on the lake along with alot of other really nice houses to look at. There's even a reproduction of Mount Vernon, George Washington's home along Lawther Dr.
There are different annual events such as the Run The Rock marathon. It's scheduuled for December 14, 2003. For more information, go to http://runtherock.com/
There are usually bikers, runners, walkers, families at the picnic table's. Just a pleasant way to get some fresh air.
White Rock Lake is a unique, 1,015 acre city lake which offers:
* Hike and bike trail (9.33 miles)
* Audubon Society-designated bird watching area and wetlands site
* Numerous scenic picnic areas - call (214) 670-8243 for reservations
* Three rental facilities: Winfrey Point, the Dreyfuss Club, and Big Thicket - call (214) 670-8239 for reservations
* Fishing piers for catfish, sunfish, and bass fishing
* Sailing - call (214) 320-0841 (Corinthian Sailing Club)
* Special events, including the March of Dimes Walk America, White Rock Marathon, the White Rock Lake Trash Bash, and numerous sponsored runs - call (214) 670-8890 for information
* White Rock Bath House Cultural Center - 521 E. Lawther Drive
Edging the Dallas Arboretum* is a 1,015 acre body of water known as White Rock Lake. It offers a hike and bike trail (9.33), pleasant picnic areas and three facilities for rent. If you're a fisherman, perhaps you'd like to test your skills in catching catfish, carp, gar, bass or sunfish.
My favorite thing about the lake is that it affords a lovely view from the arboretum as you stroll its winding paths through its flower beds and attractive landscaping.
Neighborhoods considered 'desired residences' are anchored around the lake. A sailing club sponsors many activities throughout the year. The White Lake Marathon, recognized as a top ten event in the U.S., annually circles the lake. Swimming and motor boats are prohibited.
*Tips on the Dallas Arboretum, see additional tip.
It's a lake in Dallas which in the past hasn't been looked after too well. But, lately, residents have been restoring it, and the lake was dredged to help clean up the water. There are paths for biking, rollerblading, hiking...you can sail, or you can just relax. They're also talking about expanding the biking and hiking trails. ****There's supposed to be a ghost that haunts White Rock Lake - The Lady of the Lake -- 'or White Rock Lady has been seen on the shores and on the road by the lake - dressed in a 1920's evening gown and soaking wet - she asks drivers for a ride to a house on Gaston Ave - where she vanishes leaving nothing but a wet stain on the seat.' I haven't seen her though - too bad! Lady of the Lake website: http://www.watermelon-kid.com/places/ghost.htm