Areas to Avoid / Crime, Dallas

Know about this?

• Dangerous Dallas

by littleblue Updated Oct 17, 2010

Dallas is a high crime city, this much is true. I'm a white female and I've lived here almost all my life, born in Arlington, lived in most of the bad neighborhoods listed here. I can't see what you'd want with some of them, but if you're just driving through you'd be safe anyway. The ones in the north and northeast are just boring, nothing to see. But South Dallas, both West and East has some stuff worth looking at if you're intrepid. And if you're brave enough to get around a city like Detroit or St. Louis in the bad parts then Dallas is no worse than anything there. Most people who live there are from there or know people from there. Most new people move into the North but don't think that means the North doesn't get some real crime. In my experience one of the most dangerous areas is Park Lane, despite the scary look of Oak Cliff in areas, or especially down Cockerel Hill towards Jefferson. The main thing about those areas though is what are you going there for? That's what you need to know because I wouldn't recommend milling around lost anywhere in this city really.

Deep Ellum is pretty much safe now, downtown, uptown is cozy, and I've stumbled around drunk in alleys in Fair Park with nothing but a discussion with a bum to show for it. Highland Park is super safe (if you are white) but I don't recommend being non-white there unless you're East Asian maybe.

The only time I was ever a victim of crime was in an apt in the Skillman/Audelia area on Royal Lane in Northeast Dallas. Some crackhead crawled into my window bedroom intruder style and didn't guess that I might have company. Truth be told I think he just meant to steal some stuff, but whatever. I felt more danger living there than the West Dallas area. Some friends used to throw amazing parties in these warehouses in south Dallas around 20. The worst thing that ever happened was some drug addicted lady begging for money for electricity in her apt.

Whoever said a lot of the gang activity is actually in Arlington was right, although that's not saying there's no gangs or anything in Dallas. The thing is they're all over the city really, even up the tollway around Marsh. Arlington is clotted with tourist stuff and there aren't really "bad parts" in the coherent sense because there aren't really established neighborhoods. Just use your judgement when you look around. South of the Trinity a lot of the old buildings have not been torn down and you can see some of Dallas's age showing, which is cool. I live close to there and go out to take pictures some times. Yeah there are some areas it's better to have a guy with you, but there's just some really unique things to see that are a part of Dallas history. Oakland cemetery for instance is in a bad area, but it's worth seeing some time.

Anyway, recognize that you could be a victim of crime and make sure you have a plan, have a place to go, have a reason and way to get there and back... and that will make a big difference. If you look like a target you'll probably end up a target.

Now get out there and enjoy the city. Follow the streetlights, if there's plenty of lights and plenty of people you're probably in a safe area :)

• Oh my goodness!

by glenn15 Written Jul 10, 2010

res97 I feel bad for you. I live in South Oak Cliff, which is more than 5 or 6 miles from the Bishop Arts District. My neighborhood is considered much worse off than your area and I have not been robbed or beaten by any gang. The Bishop Arts District is costly and most meals are considered expensive. Not far from the rich white area of Kessler Park. Of course, you most likely live my direction going South. As you stated only 5 to 6 miles. res97 you need to move. You must be perceived as being weak or of small stature. Drugs are sold all over Dallas. Most gangs are located in Northwest Dallas, Arlington, and Fort Worth. Why are you still a victim? Also, Western Park dangerous? Man are you kidding? Park Lane at Greenville is higher in crime than Western Park with the Southwest Dallas Police Patrol Station sitting there. Outsiders beware of area that look like you should be cautious at when in Dallas. Crime is rampant in apartments all over Dallas. These same folks talking about South Dallas fail to mention that Fair Park is located in South Dallas. Over six million visitors a year go to Fair Park. Thanks for your time and be safe.

• Do NOT stay at LaQuinta on LBJ in N. Dallas.

by lwhite09 Written Sep 29, 2009

Do NOT stay at the LaQuinta at 7815A Lyndon B Johnson Freeway. I stayed there 9/28/09 with my husband (we had both of our vehicles in the parking lot) and both of our windows were busted out of our cars and our property was stolen. Our cars were parked RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE ENTRANCE!

• Business Travel

• Dallas

by res97 Written Jun 18, 2009

I read a something on here saying Oak Cliff was a nice surprise, and I need to point out something, the writter who said this was close and around Bishops arts district which alot of white or calcasion people go and they come from North Dallas. Outside of Bishops maybe 5 or 6 miles back into Oak Cliff is what some people call ghetto where I live, the drug dealing goes on and on even if you lock your car you can come back without rims. There is gang activity/violence in this area, and I have been robbed 4 times and have be assulted 3 by gangs.

• Bad Areas (For Some)

by dallastex Written May 21, 2009

Western Park in Southwest Oak Cliff is TRUELY the wrong side of the tracks. It is across some railroad tracks that rarely run, but is very loud. Every block has a gang, like the 4000 blocks for example. Their name is the 4000 Blokk O.Gs. It is the 2nd worst area in Dallas. It is predominantly Latino. Stay out of South Dallas, also. It is a predominantly African-American neighborhood, and is the worst place in Dallas. West Dallas, also, it is 3rd on the list. Highland Park isn't dangerous but, the police harass and use foul language towards minorities. A very racist area.

• Who is writing these warnings

by js20123 Written Apr 9, 2009

I was in Dallas in Feb. 09. After reading of all the DANGERS in south Dallas, I had to check it out. I think these warnings are written by small town people who have never been to a big city that has actual ghettos. The areas that are so dangerous appear to be your average working class neighborhoods. There are more minorities in the southern sector of the city. I think they are associating skin color with crime and danger. I am a white geeky male and I had no problems in south Dallas. Oak Cliff was actually a pleasant surprise. The English tudor homes are beautiful, and the Bishops Arts District was very nice also.
    If you guys (those who post the DANGERS of south Dallas) want to see real ghettos, try the Detroit area.
    I never really saw anything that is bad as these guys posted. I was also suprised at how clean Dallas is. Have a lovely!

• View the facts instead of Opinons

by Mastersdegree1 Written Jan 12, 2009

Back in the mid 1980's through the early part of the 21st century the South side of Dallas was considered infiltrated with crime and violence, however, statistics now support that there was a greater increase of crime within the Northern part of Dallas, than was in Southern Dallas in 2008. Just a bit of facts to consider:

I recently read a reply sharing the recent killing of one of Dallas finest (Dallas Police Officer,) and the fact that he was killed in the southern city of Dallas...However, the writer neglected to mention that the same officer lived in the Southern sector himself. They also mentioned how sad it was that this was the first officer killed this year, again, they neglected to mention that today is only the 12th day of the year, and he was shot last week.

I have read a comment about one lady who had some people walking up behind her in a dark parking lot as she approached her car...however, she never said that this male, woman and child assaulted her, she said she "felt scared." She also mentioned that she pulled some type of a weapon from her sock, and they were five feet behind her, they saw the weapon (and per her insinuation,) they ran away. I don't know about anyone else but to assume that a man, woman "AND A CHILD" is approaching you to hurt you might be a little stretching it in my view. I have never had, nor carried a weapon and I personally would be more afraid of the lady that had the insinuated "Weapon" than of the man, woman and child walking.

I continue to read a number of write up's about "People who have HEARD," and except for the prior mentioned, I've not read any reply that say that any of the individuals have ever been to, visited, or lived in any of the southern areas, such as "Oak Cliff."

Allow me to share:
    Fact: Desoto (a southern city) homes has 4-gated areas
    Fact: The individuals in the southern sector are a lot more laid back than their counterparts
    Fact: People tend to fear "The Unknown"
    Fact: The D.A. for the City of Dallas lives two streets over from me, in the Southern sector
    Fact: There are a great number of "Who's Who" in America that live in the southern sector
    Fact: Other than the area called "Valley Ranch" that is in the "Western" area of Dallas in a
    City called "Irving" or "Los Colinas" most of our football and basketball players for the
    Dallas Cowboys live in the southern sector.
    Fact: The officer previously mentioned that was recently shot and killed, lived in the southern
    Sector, and his wife and family still do live in the area.
    Fact: Ron Kirk (Senator that has just be assigned to a cabinet position by Pres. Obama) still
    has his home and family here in the southern sector of Dallas, where he lived until last
    week when he spoke to my husband in the midst of moving.
    Fact: The homes in the southern sector of Dallas has more land than any of its surrounding
    Dallas County cities
    Fact: The area that Bush's have chosen to make their home is considered "Southern Dallas."
    Fact: One of the most expensive homes in the entire Dallas County is lifted at 20M, and it is
    located in "Southern Dallas."
    Fact: "Dallas City" (Not county, because the county includes all the suburbs in southern
    Dallas) nationally has some of the "WORST" schools
    Fact: Since you don’t know me, or any of the other writers, so do the research for yourself,
    and if at all possible, visit.
    Fact: Peoples opinions can kill

• Zoo

• State fair of Texas

by justafairgoer Written Mar 19, 2008

Watch your front and back when leaving on south east side. They approached on front of sidewalk at parking lot face to face staring heavily. I had 2 elderly females, 1 middle age male and a middle age female with a child. They walked past, then turned around and followed. Lucky the car was close. I went to the passengers right side, bent down like to get something off the tire and at the same time reached in my sock. It saved our lives, 5 feet behind us. I looked up at of the perps when in the sock, huge eyes staring at me and they took off. Very scary. Beware and good luck.

• Some people are so ignorant

by r_c_s Updated Jan 9, 2008

Honestly... some of the people writing about the areas to avoid are so ignorant and probably racist. I live in Northeast Dallas, around Skillman and 635, one of the areas that some people are saying to avoid, someone actually called it "slummy." I have never and will never live in a slum. I am a college graduate, married with 2 small children. I have no problems with where I live. The area I live has a lot of apartments and there are many bus stops on the street, so you will see people walking down the street all the time. This has absolutely nothing to do with crime. Actually, I live within Richardson School District, which is nationally recognized. Anywhere north of Dallas is just fine, it's just that some areas are more beautiful than others. I actually wanted to buy a house around here (Lake Highlands is a beautiful area), but when I started looking I found that the homes are way more expensive than many of the suburbs (that should tell you something... it's a desirable place to be). Don't let a few black faces scare you... the places you should really be careful of are the places way outside of Dallas where they will shoot you for stepping foot on their property. And as of Oak Cliff/South Dallas... I've heard bad things but I don't know anything about it and I've never been there. Anyway, your biggest worries while in Dallas should not be crime... it should be staying safe on the road... people don't know how to drive here.

• The real big D

by huckleberry2 Written Jan 8, 2008

If you go to South Dallas and you stand out at all you might find yourself shot or carjacked or raped. Even the folks in South Dallas keep their eyes peeled because things go down so fast in S. Dallas. You have lots of gangs and lots of drugs there. West Dallas has some cool parts and good off the beaten track restaurants but again, it's a heavy crime area. If you look like you can't handle yourself in a fight etc, you might get taken and I have seen it happen right out on the street in the broad daylight.
    Lastly, the Dallas Police Dept. Look people, Dallas is a deep southern city, this means just like New Orleans and other deep southern cities they do things a bit differently. They may take some freedoms with your so-called rights if you will. Yes sir and no sir are the only answers I would advise, any other answers may get you arrested for little or nothing or worse, have seen it happen. So know where you're at and mind the law.

• BE CAREFUL ALL OVER DALLAS

by suwoop5516 Written Nov 15, 2007

look this is the real scoop bump all that other stuff. do not go thru south dallas period. be careful in west dallas all through rupert circle, westmoreland , hampton , singleton, bernal and any other place in west dallas. and right across the trinity in the north west behind st paul hospital is a area called arlington park a little neighboorhood but dont wander around there anytime. its dangerous there are a lot of youngsters that dont care about anything. webb chapel is another place like that dont go. oak lawn has some crime but not as bad as arlington park or webb chapel trust me. oak cliff dont go there nothing but hoodlums. east dallas is nortorius for blood gang activity i wouldnt even live there. downtown is the place where all the fun is and youll have a great time especally around the deep ellum area that area is great for nightlife. and north dallas is pretty tranquil nothing much happends out there thats about it

• Stay away from apartments.

by charles2008 Written Oct 6, 2007

Good advice on staying away from an apartment around here. I lived here 10 years ago and it was great with low amount of crime in the apartment I lived in. Now, i have moved back and within 3 months have had every piece of furniture inside and out of the complex stolen. Not even sure if the people here are doing it now, but if its not glued, nailed or cemented down its going to get stolen. Even the gated parking is not safe. A girl was mugged even when a guy was breaking into another car and she showed up. People in the burbs still have crime, they are just more likely to defend themselves because they can control their surroundings with gates and garages.

• Astrobuck's Profile Photo

Oak Cliff

by Astrobuck Updated Apr 26, 2006

I had to work a case once here as a private investigator. Believe me when I tell you....

JUST PLAIN DON'T. PERIOD. END OF DISCUSSION.

Avoid this area at all costs.

If you drive on Interstate 20 and you see a sign for "Camp Wisdom Road," you are there. Just keep driving.

• Be Careful in Oak Lawn!!!

by ohiocowboy Written Feb 9, 2006

Cedar Springs Road is full of Restaurants, Bars, Boutiques, and is nice for a few blocks of Cedar Springs where these are-BUT-DO NOT wander the side streets west of there. There are lots of robberies. Also, make sure to park your car in a lot that is patrolled, DO NOT park on the side streets, or you will more than likely have your car broken into. Also, Avoid the northern part of Cedar Springs Rd. Once you go past Douglas, you will be asking for problems. There are tons of apartment buildings, and there are lots, LOTS of break-ins to cars. If you walk that area, you will more than likely be harassed or worse.

The drug problem in that area is horrendous, Crack is big around there, and there is another drug called Ice that people will kill you to get money to buy. I unfortunately moved to this area, and have had 2 vehicles broken into, plus have had my bicycle stolen from a 2nd floor balcony. My apartment has a few drug dealers, and there is drug dealing and prostitution going on all night long. The traffic is non-stop, and there are lots of gunshots fired around here. The cops are slow to respond, if they bother to come at all. I am ready to move away from here it is so bad.

• biljah's Profile Photo

Dallas Police Department

by biljah Updated Dec 9, 2005

Bad Boys

?Be warned: Public Intoxication in Dallas!

The night before the Oklahoma vs Texas game (Friday Night) some friends and I were out at lower greenville in Dallas. We got there at like 10:30pm and by 11:00 pm the cops had charged us with P.I. (Public Intoxication). Why you ask? Well strangely enough my friend moved an orange cone (a so called police barracade). They (the DPD) began to pepper spray him and slam his face into the ground. I went over and asked for their badge numbers and I got arrested and fined for being a Pedestrian in the street. Then they charged me with P.I. I had 2 beers hardly enough to even blow a .04 which is half of the legal limit .08! The problem is when you are not driving there is not a breathalizer or even any sobriety tests that are administered. The whole thing is based on police discretion. So it is the cops word vs your word and guess who the judge will believe. Well I am going to fight it, hire a lawyer, contact the Newspapers, City Hall, Intenral Affairs, and any civil rights lawyer who wants to fight the unjust giant called called the Dallas Police Department.

UPDATE: The false case against me was dropped! The DPD is known to trump up false charges and if you get roughed up by these civil servants fight them in court!!!

This cowardly person created a new profile to leave a comment. Apparently they were affraid to use their real profile. Its a well known fact the DPD are corrupt and they abuse what tiny power they have. So this persons comment as shown below is foolishly ignorant. No doubt a guilty police officer with a guilty conscience for the false charges they trump up!!!

ftworthfox Thu Nov 17, 2005 15:42 CST
    you might want to "higher" an English teacher rather than a lawyer of contacting "intenral" affairs. Sounds like just another snot nosed kid who couldn't hold his beer or his mouth and ran into a little Texas no BS police work.

• Singles
    • Beer Tasting

Instant Answers: Dallas

• Apr 10, 2014 at 8:01 AM

If you see a bunch of black guys hangin around the corner with their pants down and their underwear showin ,you are in the wrong area

• Jan 4, 2014 at 7:14 PM

I've lived here in the dfw since 1966..Dallas has gotten dangerous..period!! These people that make Dallas sound so pleasant and low in violent crime,assaults,etc, as though it rarely occurs,are people who are so used to living in such areas,that they don't consider them as being ghettos.The Woodmeadow parkway area at ferguson and LB for example,,dangerous and ghetto.But I've know resident who live there that will claim there's nothing wrong with the area and they'll scoff at you if you even suggest it's a ghetto area.People like that are used to living n those conditions.posters that claim here that dallas is sucha great low crime city are those kinds of people obviously.I'VE LIVED HERE SINCE 1966..trust me,you can do better than Dallas!! Check out,for example, the demographics and crime rats got example Dallas,Texas vs, Springfield Missouri

• Dec 27, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Dallas is the Safest City with over 1 million people in the country. Look it up. I've been here 7 years and been all over at all hours of the day and night and have yet to receive so much as a sideways glance, much less been accosted. People I don't know sometimes talk to me, if this bothers you don't blame your surroundings the problem is your lack of social skills. Take the time to bone up on human interaction before you head to any city. Fear breeds fear, stupidity attracts more stupidity, if you drive around horrified and slack jawed every time you see a black guy in a Grand Marquis rattling his trunk rollin on 22 inch rims instead of minding your own business, or heaven forbid, being friendly! you'll find yourself in a very nice city. Relax, turn off the television news and get out of the house more and you'll see life is fun no matter where you are. If you're feeling ambitious, learn spanish and make your world twice as big, no te precupas, las gente que penses van a molestar su familia estan hablando de lo mismo cosas que ustedes, donde van a aver los Cowboys.

• NigelI's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Thuggin's bewilderment amazes me to no end. But kind people please ingore this silly buffon. I as North Dallas Resident can assure all you good people that our city is quite peaceful and lovely, your chances to whisk into a ruffian are just as likely as in any other conurbation, I surmise this did not discountenance all you lovely people from sojourning our wonderful borough.