Murchison Performing Arts Center
Located down by the stadium alongside I-35 is the Murchison Performing Arts Center which was opened in 1999. There are two world-class performance venues housed in this building - the Margot and Bill Winspear Performance Hall and the Lyric Theatre. There is also a large instrumental rehearsal hall, a box office, offices and support spaces.
Hurley Administration Building
The top of this building can pretty much be seen right around the university and is quite a focal point. This part of the university houses many of the university's administrative offices which include the president, provost, general counsel?s offices amongst others.
University of North Texas
The University of North Texas is beautifully laid out on 500 acres. It was originally founded as a private college in 1890 by Joshua C. Chilton when Denton was a rural, agricultural town of only around 2,500 residents. In 1961, the college became North Texas State University and enrolment that year was 8,844. The name was changed for the 7th time in 1998, when it became the University of North Texas. In the 2000-2001 school year, enrolment at the university was about 27,000, with a faculty of more than 1,000.
Little known about this building at this stage but obviously in the past it was the Opera House. Today it stands out in its purplish colourings and now houses retail space, offices and lofts. It was built in 1901.
Old Style Store
This delightful old store has the very high ceilings and wood panelled floors which really give an idea of times gone by. The store sells all kinds of gifts and gadgets for the home. Great place to browse.
Open Mon. thru Sat. from 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Evers Hardware Building
This old hardware store is one of the earliest stores on the square and still remain in the hands of the original family. There are still some of the original displays and products which were around when the store opened a century ago.
Oak-Hickory Historic District
The historic district spans Oak and Hickory Streets and here you can see some wonderful old Victorian homes especially along West Oak Street. Fine detail and wrap around porches are just some of the features of these lovely homes.
Denton County National Bank
On the corner of Locust Street is the impressive National Bank building which was built in 1913 and has been submitted for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1937 when Denton was emerging from the Great Depression, the building was remodelled. In 1996 the building again underwent remodelling and restoring of the interior and exterior when it was purchased by David Martino.
Denton was the winner of the 1999 Great American Main Street City Award and the 1998 Texas Urban Main Street City of the Year. There are many restaurants, gift stores, antique shops surrounding the striking Courthouse.
Denton County Historical Museum
Located on the first floor of the courthouse is the Denton County Historical Museum which has a variety of exhibits depicting Denton County history and lifestyle of a century ago. There is a display of a country kitchen, a Victorian parlour, farm tools, and many other special collections.
Open Mon thru Sat from 1 to 4:30 p.m.
Denton County Courthouse
Quite an impressive courthouse and usually a lot nicer looking than when I was there -they were obviously undergoing some restoration, although it was completely restored in 1986/87. The courthouse was built between 1895 and 1897 with limestone quarried locally, the red granite for the columns coming from Burnet County and the grey sandstone from Mineral Wells. The courthouse is one of about 100 original courthouses left in Texas and has been voted as one of the most beautiful courthouses in the state. While the county Commissioners and county judges have their offices located here, it is no longer used as a courthouse.
The Chapel is interdenominational chapel and was built for private meditation although many weddings have taken place here. It is open during the hours of the campus.
Beautiful Stained Glass Windows
There are 10 stained glass windows which depict scenes of women ministering to human needs in the form of nursing, teaching, speech, literature, dance and music.
Curry hall was built in 1912 and is the oldest building on the campus. In its early days it was originally the Library Building which housed classrooms on the upper floors and a gym in the basement.
On one side of the courthouse grounds is the arching Confederate monument which is dedicated to all those men and women who lost their lives during the civil war.
- Road Trip
- Historical Travel
- Save up to 50% on hotels.
- Hotwire.com Hotwire: Get a 4-star hotel for a 2-star price.
- Book now for big savings!
- Hotels.com Outstanding choice of hotels all over the world at fantastic prices.